Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh No Oops GIF by Loof and Timmy

Remaining coaches willing to apply

It’s a variation of players not wanting to move away from Victoria. Why bother with all the drama of relocating when you’ve got nine other teams to choose from?

It’s the elephant in the room.

It's not really the same though. There's only 18 senior coach positions available, and not all clubs are equal. We're one of the largest clubs in the country, and we're stable. One of the best jobs for any aspiring Senior Coach, regardless of what state the list is in.

I don't dig the "family reasons" responses. Everyday ordinary people pick up their families and move where ever work takes them. To state "family reasons" is coming from a place of great privilege.

It's not really the same though. There's only 18 senior coach positions available, and not all clubs are equal. We're one of the largest clubs in the country, and we're stable. One of the best jobs for any aspiring Senior Coach, regardless of what state the list is in.

I don't dig the "family reasons" responses. Everyday ordinary people pick up their families and move where ever work takes them. To state "family reasons" is coming from a place of great privilege.
The law of averages is that one of the 9 is sacked annually. This year might be the first that doesn't happen.

Next year on the line if results aren't final bound.

Goodwin
Voss

Year after when saints fail again, Ross Lyon.

Not sure chris scott will go much longer.

Beverage was under the pump earlier this year. If they miss again this year and start poorly next the media hounds here will come for blood.

There isn't a week here in Melbourne that a coach isn't under the pump.

Speaking to a blues insider recently, Cook saved Voss from the board sacking him last year. He was gonsky.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Think it's a bit simplistic to say it's coming from privilege.

Remember, we're four years removed from COVID lockdowns. A lot of people were separated from families in that time, a lot of people did not enjoy that. It was particularly hard on school kids. I think the dial has shifted at least somewhat on a lot of parent's priorities.

Today Corbin and Ben ran with the Boat Race euphemism too.

It's a beautiful thing seeing a footyism in its early embryonic stage. Will it flower into the next Laconic? Or truly soar like Poetry in Slow Motion.

Less beautiful is their theory behind the Boat Race scaring folks off - one Kenneth Hinkley.

Speaking to a blues insider recently, Cook saved Voss from the board sacking him last year. He was gonsky.
Blues' board is dumb as shit. It's little wonder they've been so unsuccessful for so long. Morons with egos who think their opinion is actually important in the day to day running of the club.

Imagine if Richmond sacked Hardwick instead of replacing the assistants?

Geelong with Thompson?

Sometimes, you just have to back your man in.

Schofield is a far better credentialed candidate than any of the assistants being thrown up, latest McQualter.

I saw him as a potential or even likely successor to Simpson as soon as he was appointed.

We didn’t want to discuss or formalise succession plans for some reason, but now it has occurred anyway.
Schofield is much more than just one of the assistants roped into be an interim coach.

He has always been a coach in waiting. No way someone like McQualter could be appointed over him.

Let’s beat Carlton and stop this charade.

I agree - "family reasons" is a smokescreen for "I don't think I will get the job and I don't want to ruin my chances for future jobs". This job has a starting salary of $500k for an inexperienced coach and probably goes up to $800k if you get into the top echelon ($1M if you win a flag). Most of these guys have no chance of seeing close to that money doing anything else.

I think Schofield is our man. Has already been a head coach at colts and WAFL level, the did the AFL apprenticeship, being a senior assistant. He's ready, he's here and I think he's going to make a few potential coaches regret not taking the golden opportunity to coach west coast.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's an irony in the lack of ambition from these outside assistant coaches inherent in the "muh family" excuse. It's the type of attitude that would make them perfectly compatible with some of our players.

Weeding themselves out even before the interview stage

Pykey playing 4d chess ;)

Thanks for the nod mate. Looking forward to taking the reigns from Knights and that troglodyte Webster - he's been a massive dribbling sook since Schofield tried to use me to strangle him for suggesting moving Witherden to the wing and he's never let it go.

There's a new sheriff in town, y'all are under notice.
I feel like Schofield's_Bandolier would have been more punchy.

Weeding themselves out even before the interview stage

Pykey playing 4d chess ;)
Totally. Assistant coaches not applying for the job doesn't phase me. It is a step in weeding out the chaff. If they don't want to even apply for the job then they are not the coach we want.

We want someone passionate about the job and ready to tackle the challenges of our current predicament. Anyone else can get in the bin.

I agree - "family reasons" is a smokescreen for "I don't think I will get the job and I don't want to ruin my chances for future jobs". This job has a starting salary of $500k for an inexperienced coach and probably goes up to $800k if you get into the top echelon ($1M if you win a flag). Most of these guys have no chance of seeing close to that money doing anything else.

Wow I actually thought AFL coaches got a lot more than that.

Regardless of who coaches we need to bring in decent mid aged senior players and not d graders like Graham and clurrey. The kids should get get better as they develop but once the likes of Yeo/Gov/TK/Cripps start really slowing down we’ll start to show bo real progress either.

So NOW we know why everyone else is pulling out of the coaching race.... Harley wants Schoey. ;)

West Coast Eagles teen sensation Harley Reid up for rebuild pressure cooker, wants Jarrad Schofield by side

Mitchell Woodcock | West Coast Eagles

Thu, 15 August 2024 7:30PM

Screenshot 2024-08-15 at 8.37.45 PM.png

West Coast teen sensation Harley Reid says he is up for the fight as the club ramps up its long and treacherous rebuild.

And he believes interim coach Jarrad Schofield has given the Eagles a harder edge since taking over from Adam Simpson five weeks ago, in a glowing endorsement that carries plenty of weight.

Reid has enjoyed another glittering patch of form in recent weeks, with West Coast and Schofield a chance to claim a third straight victory when they meet a battle-worn Carlton at Optus Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

Speaking exclusively to The West Australian as he swapped the footy boots for boxing gloves on Thursday night at an event with West Aussie UFC star Steve Erceg, Reid opened up on the unprecedented attention around his first season in blue and gold and the club’s road ahead.

“It’s gone so quick. There’s been some big days, some long days, some long flights and some big travels, but at the end of the day, this is our job,” he said at the launch of UFC 305, which is live and exclusive on Main Event through Kayo and Foxtel.

“We really enjoy kicking the footy around and it’s such a great environment to be in.

“It felt like I got drafted yesterday and not long until the break, I’ll reset to hopefully have a big second season.”

Reid is the latest to laud Schofield’s no-excuse method as he surges into favouritism to become the Eagles’ next coach.

The West’s columnist Danielle Laidley dubbed the Eagles under their caretaker boss as “blue-collar”, and other players say they have responded well to his approach.

Schofield has publicly encouraged Reid to play on the edge since taking over the caretaker role last month from Adam Simpson and Reid said he appreciates their relationship.

“Obviously, having a different perspective come in with Schoey, and I was lucky enough to create a relationship with him as soon as I got to the club having him as the midfield coach,” he said.

“He’s tough with the decisions he makes. He wants us to play on the edge and he’s got that grit about him. He’s had some great experience in his past coaching career and obviously his footy life too.

“To have another view, another coach coming in and seeing the way they go about it. No gameplan has changed with Simmo, it was all similar. It’s the difference between the voice and the chat; they’ve got two great perspectives and different views of the footy world.

“Schoey has been huge on us to play on the edge and play to win. I think that’s a mentality we have – to play to win, hard work and play consistent footy for four quarters because I think our best footy can match it against anyone in the league.”

The ex-midfield coach is now the lead contender in the race to replace Adam Simpson on a full-time basis next year, with a string of highly-regarded assistants, including some former Eagles, pulling out of the race.

The endorsement from Reid could mean plenty for Schofield, with the 19-year-old phenom the centrepiece of West Coast’s midfield and their most valuable on-field asset.

A win over Carlton in Sunday’s clash would send Schofield’s stocks through the roof, and Reid says he is up for the challenge.

He is set to take on Brownlow medallist Patrick Cripps and fellow No.1 draftee Sam Walsh.

“It’s a great experience to be out there and play against some great, talented and hard-working midfielders,” he said.

“Carlton have got such a great team and I think they’re going well this year.

“They’re knocking on the door to play finals, so for us, it’s another opportunity to get another win, and hopefully, we can be three-in-a-row, and hopefully, we can take it them at Optus Stadium in front of our home fans.”

Whilst i would be happy with Schofield, having a diminished field applying isnt ideal.

We find ourselves offering a bad combination of (1) having an interim that is looking increasingly likely to get the job (and nobody wants to apply for a job that they likely wont get) (2) having an average list and not many young players, (3) being based on the other side of the country which makes it hard for coaches with kids at school etc. When you consider those factors in totality you can see why credentialed assistants are happy to pass us up. If it was only 1 of the factors then we would be in a better spot.

Arguably our biggest historical selling point is that we are cashed up and we can throw truckloads at the coach and his support system, we cant even do that now due to the soft cap.

Whilst i would be happy with Schofield, having a diminished field applying isnt ideal.

We find ourselves offering a bad combination of (1) having an interim that is looking increasingly likely to get the job (and nobody wants to apply for a job that they likely wont get) (2) having an average list and not many young players, (3) being based on the other side of the country which makes it hard for coaches with kids at school etc. When you consider those factors in totality you can see why credentialed assistants are happy to pass us up. If it was only 1 of the factors then we would be in a better spot.

Arguably our biggest historical selling point is that we are cashed up and we can throw truckloads at the coach and his support system, we cant even do that now due to the soft cap.
All part of the process of weeding out the blokes we don't want, if they don't wanna come here we don't want them.
Simples.

With Harley openly endorsing Schoey for the top job, that's a lock, I would say. A boat race.

Agree, it is so vital we get 2-5 years out of Harley that his opinion does carry some weight.
I am all in on Schofield, the only one I would be happy to have other than him is Chris Scott. I like Hinkley but would prefer Schofield.
But I do want him to be the best bloke for the job based on a process. Not just because he is there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back