Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree, it is so vital we get 2-5 years out of Harley that his opinion does carry some weight.
I am all in on Schofield, the only one I would be happy to have other than him is Chris Scott. I like Hinkley but would prefer Schofield.
But I do want him to be the best bloke for the job based on a process. Not just because he is there.
It would be incredible if we could land Chris Scott. Schoey cold be senior assistant. Also, bring Harry Taylor more on board in a fulll time position.

The law of averages is that one of the 9 is sacked annually. This year might be the first that doesn't happen.

Next year on the line if results aren't final bound.

Goodwin
Voss

Year after when saints fail again, Ross Lyon.

Not sure chris scott will go much longer.

Beverage was under the pump earlier this year. If they miss again this year and start poorly next the media hounds here will come for blood.

There isn't a week here in Melbourne that a coach isn't under the pump.

Speaking to a blues insider recently, Cook saved Voss from the board sacking him last year. He was gonsky.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
Oh well, it’s looking like Suma is the man…😀😀😀

Agree, it is so vital we get 2-5 years out of Harley that his opinion does carry some weight.
I am all in on Schofield, the only one I would be happy to have other than him is Chris Scott. I like Hinkley but would prefer Schofield.
But I do want him to be the best bloke for the job based on a process. Not just because he is there.
I’m off the Scott’s. Look at the one coaching Essendon. No good this year and unless they can recruit JC himself, they’ll be no good next year. And apparently it’s not his fault…FFS. Then the other one at Geelong. I could have coached that team to a couple of flags with their list. Let’s see how he goes when the cats fall off the radar. He’ll be looking to see which club is in premiership mode and jump on board there. Fakes.

I’m not overly concerned with a couple of highly rated assistants withdrawing from the coaching race but it’s a precursor to a separate yet related problem we’re going to have to deal with

We will eventually need to replace at least one, probably 2 and perhaps 3 line coaches.

Knights has already announced he’s leaving as forwards coach, Schofield’s midfield role will need replacing if he gets the job or maybe leaves if he doesn’t and the future of Webster as backline coach is not yet known. Shuey I think will be retained

If we’re having trouble getting people interested in the senior role because they don’t want to relocate, then how are we going to attract new assistants who are likely on about 50% (or less) of a head coach’s pay

It’s an issue we’re going to have to deal with

Any thoughts o James rahilly as senior coach?? Left field Smokey who is very highly rated at geelong.

I’m not overly concerned with a couple of highly rated assistants withdrawing from the coaching race but it’s a precursor to a separate yet related problem we’re going to have to deal with

We will eventually need to replace at least one, probably 2 and perhaps 3 line coaches.

Knights has already announced he’s leaving as forwards coach, Schofield’s midfield role will need replacing if he gets the job or maybe leaves if he doesn’t and the future of Webster as backline coach is not yet known. Shuey I think will be retained

If we’re having trouble getting people interested in the senior role because they don’t want to relocate, then how are we going to attract new assistants who are likely on about 50% (or less) of a head coach’s pay

I mean theoretically we have more money to pay assistants due to signing up Schoey on considerably less than Simmo initially, and at a certain point money talks.

But I'm not sure though that money is a factor here, the assistants who could command the highest fee's are probably that rung of blokes who don't get the job and that's not a good fit necessarily to come in and work with Schofield. Chances are their methods and personalities aren't a perfect fit. And the reason I've assumed we've never been able to attract these top flight assistants [you know, other than Don Pyke, Dean Cox, Justin Longmuir, Sam Mitchell and Jarrad Schofield] is that there's just a lot of experienced people in the industry who probably just couldn't see themselves in the role of assistant to Adam Simpson. I think at a certain point everyone in the industry just kind of knows which system is or isn't for them and all the top people who could see themselves as part of our system came here and achieved what they wanted to achieve and moved on to bigger and better things and then after that the pool was kind of empty. That would mean its not really a West Coast can't attract high end talent thing more an Adam Simpson in his 10th year going through the motions winning wooden spoons wasn't the place to be. For this next phase we can probably expect to find that people will want to be a part of this again and come build reputations for themselves through contributing to our success.

What we need to find is ambitious and talented people who want to come to the club for the opportunity not the pay packet. Schofield brings his own unique traits and ip to the role and if we back him in as coach we are saying this is a guy who has a vision for our future direction and the skills to execute his vision. The right people for those assistant roles then becomes whichever personalities fit into that system the best. For stability and continuity reasons and for his existing relationships with the players and passion for West Coast yep Luke Shuey probably becomes the best candidate for the midfield position. The next 2 blokes could just be virtual unknowns who Schoey has worked with before and trusts, or who Pyke has identified as a good fit for our system.

When you've got arguably the best assistant in the market plus a CEO who has been a successful assistant and senior coach who's known for his tactical understanding of the modern game, I think we have the brains trust and leadership side of things nailed. We wouldn't be in a position of desperately needing some new assistants to come into the organisation and tell Schoey and Pykey how to football. Line coaches are going to be there help communicate the Pyke approved Schofield brand to the players, so just get the best people for doing that. Forget about getting in the big fish of the assistant coach world unless they are specifically the perfect fit for that. If some highly rated assistant out there is the perfect fit, that person probably immediately recognises that they should be at West Coast next season and the club obviously has the resources to pay their people what they are worth so its a good chance that happens, the pain of relocating to the west is only a issue when its a convenient excuse not to do something you don't want to do anyway.

Clarko on SEN. Asked if he was an assistant coach would he take the Eagles gig. Without doubt, best resourced club in the league, history of success and will only go up. It’s one of the plum jobs in afl

Only 18 jobs so there’s not many and when asked about coaches not wanting to go through the process in case they don’t get the job ‘rejection is apart of life’

Alastair Clarkson on SEN this morning saying West Coast would be a great club to coach

Clarko on SEN. Asked if he was an assistant coach would he take the Eagles gig. Without doubt, best resourced club in the league, history of success and will only go up. It’s one of the plum jobs in afl

Only 18 jobs so there’s not many and when asked about coaches not wanting to go through the process in case they don’t get the job ‘rejection is apart of life’

As much as it’s a nice endorsement, I don’t think he would publicly say nah it would be terrible gig I definitely wouldn’t take it. 😂

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As much as it’s a nice endorsement, I don’t think he would publicly say nah it would be terrible gig I definitely wouldn’t take it. 😂
Clearly not but first he pumped up any job because there is only 18 of them. He then pumped up the Eagles club and what it’s got going for it.

Always an out with that sort of question though. He could’ve easily said, that’s up to the individual coaches and pick what’s best for their career ect.

Barrett inferring that Pyke will take the Head Coach position himself.

Interesting (if it’s remotely close to being accurate).

Barrett inferring that Pyke will take the Head Coach position himself.

Interesting (if it’s remotely close to being accurate).

It’s not and he won’t.

Schofield is a far better credentialed candidate than any of the assistants being thrown up, latest McQualter.

I saw him as a potential or even likely successor to Simpson as soon as he was appointed.

We didn’t want to discuss or formalise succession plans for some reason, but now it has occurred anyway.
Schofield is much more than just one of the assistants roped into be an interim coach.

He has always been a coach in waiting. No way someone like McQualter could be appointed over him.

Let’s beat Carlton and stop this charade.
As an aside, here amongst the Melbourne faithfull, one of the many things they're upset about is the current change in game style. Mcqualter has bought his tigers defensive thinking into the dees and it's not working. This I hope is a serious avenue of questioning in the interview process with any of the candidates. What game style do you see implementing with the list we have.

Enter Joel Selwood, Trent cotchin, and Travis boak.

Selwood head of development
Sheuy midfield/stopages
Cotchin defensive line
Boak forward line

To whom do you think he’s referring?

Barrett?

I don’t know, but I can tell you which body part he’s talking out of.

Pyke confirmed ages ago he wasn’t interested in the coaching job and Ryan Daniels said so yesterday.

If Schoey (or any other candidate) is serious about the job he will have identified the assistants he wants, how their skills and experience fits into his system and will have their support/agreement to come to be part of the team. That would surely have to be a part of your presentation of your vision for coaching

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back