Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Disagree with this a little, yes you want ownership at the top, that comes with being an AFL coach but I thought it was a breath of fresh air hearing a coach put it to his players who never showed up for work. Instead of the throwaway line of we need to improve collectively.
They could have prepared well? Why did half the team not want to play yesterday?
I personally believe they (the players - particularly the seniors) got too caught up in giving Gaff his farewell and for that matter Cripp’s 250th that they forgot to turn up to play. In fact more often than not when it’s a milestone game this seems to happen - remember Hurn’s 300th - can remember thinking at the time how embarrassing!

I personally believe they (the players - particularly the seniors) got too caught up in giving Gaff his farewell and for that matter Cripp’s 250th that they forgot to turn up to play. In fact more often than not when it’s a milestone game this seems to happen - remember Hurn’s 300th - can remember thinking at the time how embarrassing!
Yeah but in the last few years there's been more embarrassing moments than you can poke a stick at. Don't think you can put it down to being caught up in gaffs farewell

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Go for Chris Scott and give him a 5 year deal ...throw money at him so he can't refuse

Go for Chris Scott and give him a 5 year deal ...throw money at him so he can't refuse

The two years he’s got left on his current contract with Geelong might be an issue.

i've liked a lot of what i have heard from schoey but honestly wasn't a fan of him saying they prepared the best they could but the players didn't execute. i'm sorry but you don't get beat by 11 goals at home to a woefully out of form side with half its list injured if you have prepared the best you could. if the players can't execute the plan it's on you to give them something they can execute. want a bit more ownership from the bloke at the top for mine.

Yeah, nah.

You might have a point if the coach was trying to implement a complex game plan and the players just weren't up to it. But some really basic stuff was lacking. The level of effort in some instances was utterly appalling. You can't blame that on the coach... at least, not an interim one. Some of the players looked like they had run out of ****s to give. I was more than happy to see Schofield calling them out during the presser, albeit, without actually naming anyone. Gave me a glimmer of hope that some heads will be on the chopping block at the end of the season.

Yeah, nah.

You might have a point if the coach was trying to implement a complex game plan and the players just weren't up to it. But some really basic stuff was lacking. The level of effort in some instances was utterly appalling. You can't blame that on the coach... at least, not an interim one. Some of the players looked like they had run out of ****s to give. I was more than happy to see Schofield calling them out during the presser, albeit, without actually naming anyone. Gave me a glimmer of hope that some heads will be on the chopping block at the end of the season.
Yep, players have been handled with kid gloves for far too long.

Should be dropping Cripps for throwing his arms up after that ****up with him, Ryan and Darling on the wing alone. At least Darling did the right thing by trying to shepherd.

The boys did a fair bit to undermine Schofield's chances with the St Kilda and Carlton performances.

I do think it's pretty whack to think that the team are in any sense playing Schofield's gameplan though. It's Simmo's plan with whatever massaging around the edges Schofield can implement.

He would 100% want to be outlining a radically different vision of the future during his submissions. The game plan we have is entirely ill-suited to the cattle we have and their temperament.

How quickly we can make the coaching appointment and whether or not we can jag a useful piece or two for a new approach through trading/free agency will determine how 2025 turns out. I'm sure a new coach is going to find more value in our list too with a fresh set of eyes and a different set of priorities.

I'm not bullish on how we will perform next season but I'm optimistic we will see ongoing, positive change.

The boys did a fair bit to undermine Schofield's chances with the St Kilda and Carlton performances.

I do think it's pretty whack to think that the team are in any sense playing Schofield's gameplan though. It's Simmo's plan with whatever massaging around the edges Schofield can implement.

He would 100% want to be outlining a radically different vision of the future during his submissions. The game plan we have is entirely ill-suited to the cattle we have and their temperament.

How quickly we can make the coaching appointment and whether or not we can jag a useful piece or two for a new approach through trading/free agency will determine how 2025 turns out. I'm sure a new coach is going to find more value in our list too with a fresh set of eyes and a different set of priorities.

I'm not bullish on how we will perform next season but I'm optimistic we will see ongoing, positive change.
everybody's game plan is within a few percent - stop opponent getting the ball - win ball kick/hand pass to a team mate in a better position is a solid start - we have players that don't work hard enough, fumble and fail to kick and handball with precision. Dumb as well.

I have been open to Schofield but after Sunday my wife (who is a good judge) said we need a new broom. My reservation with Schofield is that he is/was our mid coach - our weakest area by 100%. We are beaten on the outside over and over again.

Yep, players have been handled with kid gloves for far too long.

Should be dropping Cripps for throwing his arms up after that ****up with him, Ryan and Darling on the wing alone. At least Darling did the right thing by trying to shepherd.

My only reservation around Cripps is that he's generally considered to be one of the hardest workers at the club, and is highly regarded. If he's giving up a contest, it's because he's either struggling with an injury, completely gassed (unlikely), or hit a wall mentally... or maybe just totally frustrated at how bad everyone is playing (himself included).

It's like a defender that keeps getting beaten one-on-one by an opposition forward -- they can look like a total goose, when it's actually the lack of defensive effort from the midfield that is causing the real problems. Cripps laid 10 tackles against Carlton... the highest for the team, and more than twice his career average. Meanwhile our Captain laid zero tackles.

Not trying to defend Cripps... but he was hardly alone out there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With Schoey taking over in the back end of the season he could only work with what was already there.
Not just players but game plan, attitudes, skill levels, fitness etc etc.
You can't change a seasons, or more, worth of training, game plans, attitudes at this point in time.
You will need a good pre-season and some matches to instill into the playing group what you believe will be the way forward to improve.
Whether it is Schoey or anyone else we were never going to see any remarkable changes this soon. Maybe a bit of work ethic, positional and small personnel change but that it is it.
The Carlton game was a disaster but he handled himself well in the presser and I would have loved to be a fly on the wall after the game to see how hard he went at the players.

Will be interesting to see how we perform now next week. It will say a lot about the respect the playing group has for Schoey as a coach and leader.

My only reservation around Cripps is that he's generally considered to be one of the hardest workers at the club, and is highly regarded. If he's giving up a contest, it's because he's either struggling with an injury, completely gassed (unlikely), or hit a wall mentally... or maybe just totally frustrated at how bad everyone is playing (himself included).

It's like a defender that keeps getting beaten one-on-one by an opposition forward -- they can look like a total goose, when it's actually the lack of defensive effort from the midfield that is causing the real problems. Cripps laid 10 tackles against Carlton... the highest for the team, and more than twice his career average. Meanwhile our Captain laid zero tackles.

Was very poor optics from a player who's prone to bring selfish in front of goal, IMO.

You can be frustrated, that's fine, but when you're known for stuffing up many forward plays because you continuously fumble the ball, getting shitty at your teammates for doing the same is somewhat ironic.

If he is carrying an injury, then he shouldn't be played to begin with.

Not here to hang shit, this was on one of our pages. Not a great look but definitely frustrated.

I’ll edit this & say I think he’s frustrated with Darling as I’d say Cripps called for it & to be fair who hasn’t been frustrated with Jack at times.

Last edited:
Was very poor optics from a player who's prone to bring selfish in front of goal, IMO.

You can be frustrated, that's fine, but when you're known for stuffing up many forward plays because you continuously fumble the ball, getting shitty at your teammates for doing the same is somewhat ironic.

If he is carrying an injury, then he shouldn't be played to begin with.

He's probably got other problems on his mind with the Missus' health.

Not here to hang shit, this was on one of our pages. Not a great look but definitely frustrated.

I’ll edit this & say I think he’s frustrated with Darling as I’d say Cripps called for it & to be fair who hasn’t been frustrated with Jack at times.

That one little snippet typified that game.
One thing that could have gone so right and looked so good ended up going wrong and looking bad.
Darling leaves it alone Cripps runs into a shot on goal.
Instead Darling feathers it and Carlton easily win a 1 on 3 and get it going their way.

Bit of coach chatter on todays Hard Ball Gets pod (at around 14mins)

Probably easier just to listen but in summary from memory:

-Schofield, Montgomery and McQualter the main candidates
-Danny Daly's name is still being floated around
-The coaches taking their names out of the race out are doing so because they effectively know they aren't getting the job
-Cox pretty much would have had the job and suprised the club when he pulled out (lol)
-They talk about why it's taking so long, Ellis reckons they should just appoint someone and Daniels says they're waiting for the season to end

Nothing ground breaking but an interesting listen/update

Corey Enright might be a goer. Given Geelong were the most successful team of the last 15+ years, we could certainly do worse. Doesn’t hurt that Harley used to be a Cats man.

Corey Enright might be a goer. Given Geelong were the most successful team of the last 15+ years, we could certainly do worse. Doesn’t hurt that Harley used to be a Cats man.

I reckon Schofield with Enright as his main assistant would be a great start.

everybody's game plan is within a few percent - stop opponent getting the ball - win ball kick/hand pass to a team mate in a better position is a solid start - we have players that don't work hard enough, fumble and fail to kick and handball with precision. Dumb as well.

I have been open to Schofield but after Sunday my wife (who is a good judge) said we need a new broom. My reservation with Schofield is that he is/was our mid coach - our weakest area by 100%. We are beaten on the outside over and over again.
Have to have the cattle though and from my observation most of our mids seem to be playing the inside mid role although imo Kelly should be playing that outside mid role. In any event Carlton’s injuries were not in their midfield so it was just a matter of being outclassed as we still have a long way to go. The thing I found most disappointing was that we didn’t appear to be having a dip as were not showing the competitiveness we had shown in previous weeks as it appeared we were just coasting at times.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back