Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I havent heard Barret say he thinks Cox will get it, he just keeps saying we should wait for him. Obviously very different. If he thought Cox had actually been lined up he would be saying it differently.

McQualter is an interesting option that hasnt got much of a run around these parts. He was super highly regarded a couple of years ago. I remember hearing Ross Lyon in particular talk about him whilst he was at Triple M. Saying he was outstanding young coach when only a couple of years into it. He's tried to recruit him since as a coach.

He has sort of been tared by taking on the Tigers interim job but those jobs are always on a hiding to nothing. Tigers probably went for Yze to get a fresh start as much as anything (like many here seem to want to do).

McQualter is an interesting option that hasnt got much of a run around these parts. He was super highly regarded a couple of years ago. I remember hearing Ross Lyon in particular talk about him whilst he was at Triple M. Saying he was outstanding young coach when only a couple of years into it. He's tried to recruit him since as a coach.

He has sort of been tared by taking on the Tigers interim job but those jobs are always on a hiding to nothing. Tigers probably went for Yze to get a fresh start as much as anything (like many here seem to want to do).

My perception of McQualter, which might be way off, is that he’s a bit of a nice guy coach like Jaymie Graham and Ash Hansen who have both pulled out after having contact with Pyke despite expressing some early interest. A bit like Simpson was seen to be - it’s not a criticism as such, just a gut feeling of his coaching style

I believe what we need, and what I think the club might be looking for is a coach with a harder edge which explains why Montgomery is seen as a leading contender. Schofield is a bit in that mould as well. Hickmott, who I like as an option, is also similar

Notably, all those three I mentioned are in their early fifties and have extensive experience. Graham and Hansen are both early forties and McQualter is only 38

Some initial reports suggested we were going to be looking for an experienced coach which was assumed to mean a recycled coach like Buckley. It might have meant someone older who’d been in the system for considerable time like Macrae and Kingsley had been

Danny Daly, who’s the football manager at Brisbane, has been mentioned as a smoky and is in his late 50’s

TLDR- I think McQualter may be seen as too young/inexperienced

Seems bonkers to be holding out for Cox.

Firstly... Swans will play deep into the finals, meaning a decision won't get made for a long time. Whoever gets the job, comes in late and has to scramble for assistant coaches, because most of the other clubs will have locked their in.

But secondly... If you get your man... it might be worthwhile. But if you don't, you look like an idiot and you cost yourself. Being rejected, not once, but twice... and by a former player no less... is kinda embarrassing.

On paper, Cox's credentials don't seem any better than any other contenders, including Schofield.

Seems bonkers to be holding out for Cox.

Firstly... Swans will play deep into the finals, meaning a decision won't get made for a long time. Whoever gets the job, comes in late and has to scramble for assistant coaches, because most of the other clubs will have locked their in.

But secondly... If you get your man... it might be worthwhile. But if you don't, you look like an idiot and you cost yourself. Being rejected, not once, but twice... and by a former player no less... is kinda embarrassing.

On paper, Cox's credentials don't seem any better than any other contenders, including Schofield.

We’d only hold out for Cox if he’s told us privately he still has interest. If he hasn’t then I doubt we hold up the process in the faint hope he changes his mind

Barrett’s premise is that Cox has only ruled himself out publicly to avoid any unnecessary distractions during Sydney’s finals run but remains an option once Sydney finish. It does make some sense

Also, we might have to wait until the Giants are out before Montgomery presents and they too could make the GF

I'd give a God offer to Chris Scott & allow him to pick his own coaching staff. Should definitely be looking outside the club for our next coach. Get some good assistants in there too, tell Shuey thanks for your service but time to go. Schofield can stay I think he's done a decent job, he'll be good to help the new coach transfer into the new role.

Why does everyone keep suggesting Chris Scott? He’s contracted until 2026 and at a club that’s flying. Why would he break his contract and move across the country to take on an arduous task?

Goodness me coached two wins in six matches , half our wins all year .
WC are going to have more losses in 2025 whoever coaches, the press conference he handled well seems comfortable.

*40 per cent of our wins all year.

The performance against Carlton as well as the performance against St Kilda were as bad as anything we dished up under Simpson this year. I’m not saying it rules him out but I think it definitely puts him back into the peloton.

Why does everyone keep suggesting Chris Scott? He’s contracted until 2026 and at a club that’s flying. Why would he break his contract and move across the country to take on an arduous task?

The performance against Carlton as well as the performance against St Kilda were as bad as anything we dished up under Simpson this year. I’m not saying it rules him out but I think it definitely puts him back into the peloton.

Because it is an opinions board and some have the opinion that we should target Chris Scott. Contracts mean nothing in footy in case you have not noticed and it might be something someone like Scott could be interested in???

Because it is an opinions board and some have the opinion that we should target Chris Scott. Contracts mean nothing in footy in case you have not noticed and it might be something someone like Scott could be interested in???

I have the opinion that Margot Robbie should leave her husband and Hollywood and shack up with me in Perth, but that doesn’t make it likely.

Can you think of a single example of a coach tearing up two years of a contract and moving elsewhere? Can you think of a reason why Geelong would willingly release him from that contract and allow him to coach a competitor?

And why is it always Scott? Why aren’t people suggesting Longmire, or Hardwick, or Clarkson, or the ghost of Tom Hafey? They’re all equally likely to take the job.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have the opinion that Margot Robbie should leave her husband and Hollywood and shack up with me in Perth, but that doesn’t make it likely.

Can you think of a single example of a coach tearing up two years of a contract and moving elsewhere? Can you think of a reason why Geelong would willingly release him from that contract and allow him to coach a competitor?

And why is it always Scott? Why aren’t people suggesting Longmire, or Hardwick, or Clarkson, or the ghost of Tom Hafey? They’re all equally likely to take the job.

Hardwick just did it.

Hardwick just did it.
Hardwick quit mid-season due to “burnout” with a year and a half to go on his contract, sat out for a few months then signed with Gold Coast.

How would you see a similar situation playing out with Scott at Geelong?

Hardwick quit mid-season due to “burnout” with a year and a half to go on his contract, sat out for a few months then signed with Gold Coast.

How would you see a similar situation playing out with Scott at Geelong?

Don’t complicate it, the club as I am sure it has or will be doing.
They will make a call, Chris you have any interest in coming to Perth. Could have 10 years ahead of you here.
Not interested. Cheers
Call me after seasons end. Will do.
Not bloody complicated.

Don’t complicate it, the club as I am sure it has or will be doing.
They will make a call, Chris you have any interest in coming to Perth. Could have 10 years ahead of you here.
Not interested. Cheers
Call me after seasons end. Will do.
Not bloody complicated.

Where does it go from there?

Why do Geelong just let him leave?

You can’t just put up a ludicrous suggestion and when its shortfalls are pointed out say “don’t complicate it”.

Cats list is quite old and he's been there a while. There's every chance its a quick no when asked, but maybe he's open to a new challenge where he's also getting paid a truck load. He's the best coach out there and we're the richest club, surely worth a throw at the stumps.

Where does it go from there?

Why do Geelong just let him leave?

You can’t just put up a ludicrous suggestion and when its shortfalls are pointed out say “don’t complicate it

Yeah ok.
So going forward in your tiny little world anyone that is contracted is uncontactable. That’s hilarious

My guess is that Schofield will stay on unless a senior proven coach throws his name fwd ..
The Wins against GC and a come from behind inspired away win V North I think was enough to show the Schoey was a good motivator and could coach at the level..

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Yeah ok.
So going forward in your tiny little world anyone that is contracted is uncontactable. That’s hilarious

Did I say that?

In this case, a coach under contract for two years, I don’t see the point in even asking.

I don’t see why he’d even be interested. And I don’t see why Geelong would let it happen. And you don’t seem to be able to either, because you studiously avoid that bit.

Did I say that?

In this case, a coach under contract for two years, I don’t see the point in even asking.

I don’t see why he’d even be interested. And I don’t see why Geelong would let it happen. And you don’t seem to be able to either, because you studiously avoid that bit.

Part of the reason why people are throwing Chris Scott into the mix is probably because of the length of his tenure at Geelong. Same reason why Longmire has been put forward in the media as well.

We've seen firsthand what happens when the message gets stale and the coach gets tired. A change might just help rejuvenate and rekindle the enthusiasm.

That said - the "godfather offers" make zero sense, given he's a dual premiership winning coach which would command as good a pay packet that any club could afford to pay within the confines of the soft cap and the exorbitant penalties which apply for breaching it.

That said - the "godfather offers" make zero sense, given he's a dual premiership winning coach which would command as good a pay packet that any club could afford to pay within the confines of the soft cap and the exorbitant penalties which apply for breaching it.

And presumably we’re still paying Simpson something for 2025, which will make it difficult to make anyone an offer they can’t refuse

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back