Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone with an Age subscription?

Hopefully she mentions how many rejected her beloved Tigers gig last year

It’s actually a good article worth reading. Not taking a potshot at West Coast but questioning why so many seemingly well credentialed candidates are choosing not to chase a senior coaching position

Wilson talks about the challenges faced by a coach in the current climate and why it might not be the highly sought position it once was

Does also mention that Danny Daly at Brisbane now sees himself as an administrator rather than coach so will be staying in Brisbane

Montgomery (Brisbane), Lade (Bulldogs) and McQualter (Melbourne) are mentioned as assistant coaches applying for the job

Pretty good read tbh

More of why assistants and ex-players/coaches are reluctant to take the top job in general than any dig at WC. Specifically says only one of the 4 that rejected going for the job did so because of the list. (Unless I misunderstood I think she implies this was Giansiracusa)

Danny Daly is out too by the sounds which is new news.

Montgomery, Lade and McQualter mentioned as the leading candidates

It’s actually a good article worth reading. Not taking a potshot at West Coast but questioning why so many seemingly well credentialed candidates are choosing not to chase a senior coaching position

Wilson talks about the challenges faced by a coach in the current climate and why it might not be the highly sought position it once was

Does also mention that Danny Daly at Brisbane now sees himself as an administrator rather than coach so will be staying in Brisbane

Montgomery (Brisbane), Lade (Bulldogs) and McQualter (Melbourne) are mentioned as assistant coaches applying for the job

There's an echo in here 🤣

Lade’s a new name in the race, isn’t he?

If we give him the job Cale Morton will never set foot in the club again.

Lade’s a new name in the race, isn’t he?

If we give him the job Cale Morton will never set foot in the club again.

I’ve seen his name pop up before but it’s usually been a bit of a footnote when he has been mentioned

Yeah not bad.

Head Coaching positions are becoming like promotions in a lot of business where they ain’t as highly sort after as they once were. Throw in the extra attention that a job like this would get in the media these days with Pods and social media only getting bigger.

Still a reference to how many pulled out or elected not to apply for her Tigers gig last year would’ve been fitting imo.

My perception of McQualter, which might be way off, is that he’s a bit of a nice guy coach like Jaymie Graham and Ash Hansen who have both pulled out after having contact with Pyke despite expressing some early interest. A bit like Simpson was seen to be - it’s not a criticism as such, just a gut feeling of his coaching style

I believe what we need, and what I think the club might be looking for is a coach with a harder edge which explains why Montgomery is seen as a leading contender. Schofield is a bit in that mould as well. Hickmott, who I like as an option, is also similar

Notably, all those three I mentioned are in their early fifties and have extensive experience. Graham and Hansen are both early forties and McQualter is only 38

Some initial reports suggested we were going to be looking for an experienced coach which was assumed to mean a recycled coach like Buckley. It might have meant someone older who’d been in the system for considerable time like Macrae and Kingsley had been

Danny Daly, who’s the football manager at Brisbane, has been mentioned as a smoky and is in his late 50’s

TLDR- I think McQualter may be seen as too young/inexperienced

I'm not so worried about age. I think the gun coaches show the signs early - probably like good players. Clarko was 34(?) when he started, Simpson was 36(?), Woosha 34(?), Sam Mitchell (38?).

Luke Shuey was on ABC Sportstalk this morning

Was asked about his future and said he was contracted for next year but acknowledged that could change if the new coach didn’t like him

I’ll also had that during his press conference on Thursday, Schofield mentioned quite a few coaches at the club were in limbo. It was tacked on at the end of a answer to a sort of unrelated question so it wasn’t really picked up by any of the media

So Shuey aside, there could be a few changes in personnel in coming weeks

Tell you what, Sydney dump Horse and hire Warrick Capper, we'll hire Sumich
But seriously, what's wrong with Sumich? Was a champion player for your club, and has some emotional investment in the club. I doubt he would stand for what's happening today like that Port Power guy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But seriously, what's wrong with Sumich? Was a champion player for your club, and has some emotional investment in the club. I doubt he would stand for what's happening today like that Port Power guy.
A moron with a bitter mind set. They are his strengths as a coach.

He is an idiot rejected from every head coaching job he has gone for.

Disappointing for Schofield that this result will likely end his chances of coaching us. Not his fault, things outside of his control conspired to make it this way. Hopefully he sticks around with us next season, the rest of the coaching staff should go.
the great motivator and midfield coach - I think we move on

Senior coach with experience is needed.

Time to demote shuey. Maybe to runner
Keep schofield but demote him from mid coach to stoppage.
Then sack the rest

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back