Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Still don't recon Boots should be the midfield coach. No Nic Nat style of ruckman I just don't think he has the experience. Perhaps okay I development

If you are serious about coaching and have half a brain, your first move after finishing your career would not be to take a job coaching the team you've just spent more than a decade playing for (even more so if they are currently a basketcase)

Reeks of a job of convenience for Shuey.

If you are serious about coaching and have half a brain, your first move after finishing your career would not be to take a job coaching the team you've just spent more than a decade playing for (even more so if they are currently a basketcase)

His interview on abc sounded very much like hell move elsewhere end of 2025

Won the second half, moved Hutchinson into the middle and it was an interesting look. Kept the no 100 point losses in 2024 streak alive. That's something I suppose.

Don't really get how we played so badly under Simpson for 3 years and Schofield is expected to somehow completely eliminate any negative performance entirely with a click of his fingers. What will be will be I suppose but the bar is suddenly extremely high.

I think he’s regarded as a bit too out there to get another senior role. Maybe a bit too intense?However, well thought of in mentoring or development roles.
Probably not physically well enough either - cancer and heart/stroke issues

Senior coaching job very stressful.

Hard to see Schofield getting the job after the disaster of last week and the first half in this game.

Once again the team only showed up after half time. All player contracts should be based on performance, the more you lose by, the less you get paid. When it hurt their pocket they would soon improve.
Looks like we have a soft pampered and spoilt bunch of prima donnas.
Who is going to take ownership of the load of crap they dished up today ?
They should start exiting at least 10 players first thing Monday morning and include all the assistants and development coaches, match committee, football manager and non football background directors. (Perthonalities)
If we don't have a massive cleanout now a rebuild will probably take 5- 10yrs, we will see a lot more humiliations like today.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In two months we’ll have a new coach and whole new coaching department.

Assuming we have whole list changes (x10 for 2024) this side will have a bunch of kids. So whoever the coach is, I hope he is an old head akin to Fagan, Choco or Horse.

Standards and expectations need to be at the forefront and someone experienced enough to have seen it all.

Sumich has said all year he doesn’t get how Shuey could instantly appear in the coaches box with no coaching credentials at all

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I have praised him when fair, and whacked him when fair. I don't think he's up to it. Was handed a shitty situation and did some nice things with it, showed a willingness to move magnets (Ginbey to HBF a revelation that helps us long term, enormous tick), and also sent us out to die in three of the most listless performances I've seen against St Kilda, Carlton and Geelong.

Bloke coached the worst midfield era we've seen, and then got the HC reins to the tune of a narrow win against winless-away GC, and a miracle comeback after a sleepwalking first half against North (bottom two for five consecutive years). Did some nice things during his tenure too, but I simply haven't seen enough to be enamoured. Boo hoo.

I want a fresh voice who hasn't been part of this. External review, fresh eyes. It's not that radical or unfair.

If he gets the gig I'm all in on him and will back him to the hilt, but yes, if it were up to me he'd be gone. It's a footy forum, which you well know having been on here for years. Sometimes people don't agree with you.

HoneyBadger35

This was worth responding to and relevant to this thread.

To me being handed a shitty situation and doing some nice things with it would be the starting point for a pass mark. 2 wins amongst those nice things is probably more than most expected.

I think the following are unfair framings on Schofield:

1. Coached the worst midfield era we've seen. Ok that's true but the counters are that once he was made HC the first thing he did was make changes to the midfield- all of which seemed to be effective- and for the most part he simply had no cattle in there to work with due to injury to senior players and relying on a fleet of beagles players who were mostly delisted. 2024 midfield did pretty well at times prior to Simpsons sacking. Regardless though this is glossing over the fact that Adam Simpson was the coach of what was not the worst midfield era we've ever had but simply the worst era the club has ever had of which midfield was just one aspect. I'd say this criticism is unfair framing.

2. Narrow win against winless away GC. They were playing for a finals spot and bought the fight, we were better on the day and they won their first away game a week later. Talented side that underachieved this year but hardly capitulated on the road to us, it was basically the opposite. Unnecessarily unfavourable framing.

3. Sleepwalking first half against North. Won the first qtr, North kicking something 5.0 to 0.6 in the second and we then pulled ahead on the 3rd and 4th once our accuracy improved. There was no lull in shots on goal or contest. It's just basically untrue that we were asleep for a half though certainly true that due to a string of misses we said on 3 goals from early into the second to mid way through the 3rd. 1 quarter and a bit of not kicking straight not a half. Also first win in Tasmania in 10 years, not exactly a flat track for us. Unfavourable framing.

4. Sent us out to die in three of the most listless performances I've seen against St Kilda, Carlton, Geelong. I mean for starters this team has played listless footy on dozens of occasions leading into Schofield taking over and that rot being in the club is the reason it was deemed necessary for us to sack a coach mid season for the first time ever. So is the pass mark for Schofield that from his first game forward he 100% eliminates that from the players? Just clicks his fingers and years on end of bad habits and uncompetitive mindset is fixed? Saints have had some decent games in the back half of the season and got us, 70 point loss on their home deck in Schoeys second game but not top 10, maybe not top 20 worst eagles performance of recent years. Carlton have spent most of the year in the top 4 and were on a slide where another loss would have put them out of finals. Led by one of the best players in the comp who played an all time captains game and put us to the sword. What can you do it went exactly as it should have gone and the club was seemingly more interested in having a send off for a bloke that even Simpson didn't want in his side anymore. Then we travel to Geelong for the last game of this miserable season, where we haven't won since Chriss Judd times, having put our two best defenders on ice for the season, with the opposition needing to smash us by 200 to finish top 2 and get a home final. Record breaking first half smashing, won the 2nd half and probably cost them the home final. I don't really see any of those losses as being comparable to the worse of Simpsons losses, nor do I think Schofield can be condemned for the players returning to their baseline and needing to be challenged to respond. Harsh to set this as unacceptable, just unrealistic and I think again unfair framing to try elevate these 3 games into worst ever territory.

5. External review. You may want one and I'd support us having one, but we're not getting one.

Personally I actually wasn't keen on Schofield as a coach until seeing how he spoke and handled himself in the media. He'd been a largely invisible presence at the club in my eyes since coming over and I didn't rate our midfield output under him either. I was actually embarrassingly pro Simpson over the summer and said in many posts early in the year I could see him coaching out his contract and even getting another extension if the green shoots we saw continued to blossom. Then he bought back in Ryan and Sheed and Flynn underdone, got Gaff back into the side, rushed Allen back and everything just went to shit and I said if you are going to do it sack him after the north game and give Schofield the mid season break to reset the side and lets have a proper look at him in the second half. I still think we would have been better off doing it that way. When they finally sacked him I was sure there was a done deal with Dean Cox but I was learning toward Scooter Selwood. Schofield won me over in the way he spoke to the press, for the first time I got to see how he operates and I liked what I saw. If we go with a new coach I don't see any evidence any of the other assistants are better placed to take the job on and I think its just reactionary and short sighted to overlook him [while being the most qualified candidate] just because he's been associated with the previous regime or because the mentally weakest team to ever play football rolled back into old habits in 50% of the games after he took over. He's done well. If before he coached a game you were offered an away win and a home win and a bunch of positional changes, a Darling stint in the WAFL, and a bunch of games for Hall, Trew, Dewar and Johnston then I'd wager 99% of us would of taken that in a heartbeat.

Now so far as the hot tip that this is the internet and people sometimes disagree with you. I'd say maybe take your own advice mate. The only interaction we'd had before you started putting some very negative opinions of Schoey and Trew out there was for me to back you up on the Tim Kelly debate [has held up his end] and I'd imagine probably I'd of agreed with you on Simmo cause I was in the keep Simmo camp until the credits crew issues returned. I've been a board lurker for years and started an account because I'd randomly got some inside looks into the Jeremy Sharpe situation the year before when he couldn't get to Freo, was very keen for us to swoop and no-body on here seemed interested. Had no interest in arguing with you until your comments on Trews disposal which were way off the mark, now I'm apparently an alt account who's got it out for you. Lol. Stick to the well considered opinions and reserve the cheap shots for the players and coaches that deserve it and I'll not call you on it, anyone who's in the less than 10 games and giving it an honest crack for the club club I believe deserves a staunch defence and I've given them.

Last edited:
Won the second half, moved Hutchinson into the middle and it was an interesting look. Kept the no 100 point losses in 2024 streak alive. That's something I suppose.

Don't really get how we played so badly under Simpson for 3 years and Schofield is expected to somehow completely eliminate any negative performance entirely with a click of his fingers. What will be will be I suppose but the bar is suddenly extremely high.

Yep for me, no blame on Schofield. He has impacted well, up with contested ball form 14th to 6th, so something like that. That's one hell of an achievement in 6 weeks. And has had 3 fightbacks for 2 wins.
I would still be happy with Schofield as coach.

This is why we need a senior coach experienced. No new coach is given any credits to skate.

I mean let's assume schofield was our coach and his tenure started when Simmo left. There would be blood like there is now

HoneyBadger35

To me being handed a shitty situation and doing some nice things with it would be the starting point for a pass mark. 2 wins amongst those nice things is probably more than most expected.

1. Coached the worst midfield era we've seen. Ok that's true but the counters are that once he was made HC the first thing he did was make changes to the midfield- all of which seemed to be effective- and for the most part he simply had no cattle in there to work with due to injury to senior players and relying on a fleet of beagles players who were mostly delisted. 2024 midfield did pretty well at times prior to Simpsons sacking. Regardless though this is glossing over the fact that Adam Simpson was the coach of what was not the worst midfield era we've ever had but simply the worst era the club has ever had of which midfield was just one aspect. I'd say this criticism is unfair framing.

2. Narrow win against winless away GC. They were playing for a finals spot and bought the fight, we were better on the day and they won their first away game a week later. Talented side that underachieved this year but hardly capitulated on the road to us, it was basically the opposite. Unnecessarily unfavourable framing.

3. Sleepwalking first half against North. Won the first qtr, North kicking something 5.0 to 0.6 in the second and we then pulled ahead on the 3rd and 4th once our accuracy improved. There was no lull in shots on goal or contest. It's just basically untrue that we were asleep for a half though certainly true that due to a string of misses we said on 3 goals from early into the second to mid way through the 3rd. 1 quarter and a bit of not kicking straight not a half. Also first win in Tasmania in 10 years, not exactly a flat track for us. Unfavourable framing.

4. Sent us out to die in three of the most listless performances I've seen against St Kilda, Carlton, Geelong. I mean for starters this team has played listless footy on dozens of occasions leading into Schofield taking over and that rot being in the club is the reason it was deemed necessary for us to sack a coach mid season for the first time ever. So is the pass mark for Schofield that from his first game forward he 100% eliminates that from the players? Just clicks his fingers and years on end of bad habits and uncompetitive mindset is fixed? Saints have had some decent games in the back half of the season and got us, 70 point loss on their home deck in Schoeys second game but not top 10, maybe not top 20 worst eagles performance of recent years. Carlton have spent most of the year in the top 4 and were on a slide where another loss would have put them out of finals. Led by one of the best players in the comp who played an all time captains game and put us to the sword. What can you do it went exactly as it should have gone and the club was seemingly more interested in having a send off for a bloke that even Simpson didn't want in his side anymore. Then we travel to Geelong for the last game of this miserable season, where we haven't won since Chriss Judd times, having put our two best defenders on ice for the season, with the opposition needing to smash us by 200 to finish top 2 and get a home final. Record breaking first half smashing, won the 2nd half and probably cost them the home final. I don't really see any of those losses as being comparable to the worse of Simpsons losses, nor do I think Schofield can be condemned for the players returning to their baseline and needing to be challenged to respond. Harsh to set this as unacceptable, just unrealistic and I think again unfair framing to try elevate these 3 games into worst ever territory.

5. External review. You may want one and I'd support us having one, but we're not getting one.

Personally I actually wasn't keen on Schofield as a coach until seeing how he spoke and handled himself in the media. He'd been a largely invisible presence at the club in my eyes since coming over and I didn't rate our midfield output under him either. I was actually embarrassingly pro Simpson over the summer and said in many posts early in the year I could see him coaching out his contract and even getting another extension if the green shoots we saw continued to blossom. Then he bought back in Ryan and Sheed and Flynn underdone, got Gaff back into the side, rushed Allen back and everything just went to shit and I said if you are going to do it sack him after the north game and give Schofield the mid season break to reset the side and lets have a proper look at him in the second half. I still think we would have been better off doing it that way. When they finally sacked him I was sure there was a done deal with Dean Cox but I was learning toward Scooter Selwood. Schofield won me over in the way he spoke to the press, for the first time I got to see how he operates and I liked what I saw. If we go with a new coach I don't see any evidence any of the other assistants are better placed to take the job on and I think its just reactionary and short sighted to overlook him [while being the most qualified candidate] just because he's been associated with the previous regime or because the mentally weakest team to ever play football rolled back into old habits in 50% of the games after he took over. He's done well. If before he coached a game you were offered an away win and a home win and a bunch of positional changes, a Darling stint in the WAFL, and a bunch of games for Hall, Trew, Dewar and Johnston then I'd wager 99% of us would of taken that in a heartbeat.

Now so far as the hot tip that this is the internet and people sometimes disagree with you. I'd say maybe take your own advice mate. The only interaction we'd had before you started putting some very negative opinions of Schoey and Trew out there was for me to back you up on the Tim Kelly debate [has held up his end] and I'd imagine probably I'd of agreed with you on Simmo cause I was in the keep Simmo camp until the credits crew issues returned. I've been a board lurker for years and started an account because I'd randomly got some inside looks into the Jeremy Sharpe situation the year before when he couldn't get to Freo, was very keen for us to swoop and no-body on here seemed interested. Had no interest in arguing with you until your comments on Trews disposal which were way off the mark, now I'm apparently an alt account who's got it out for you. Lol. Stick to the well considered opinions and reserve the cheap shots for the players and coaches that deserve it and I'll not call you on it, anyone who's in the less than 10 games and giving it an honest crack for the club club I believe deserves a staunch defence and I've given them.

100%

I would be perfectly fine with Schofield coaching next year. Even today he made some moves, like putting Waterman behind the ball for a bit and more importantly Hutchings to the coal face at the second half.

It not even about that though. Simpson burnt the club to the ground and that dickhead Nisbett allowed it. Yet in half a dozen games Schofield has backed the kids and shown more young player development than the entirety of the past 10 years. At least we didn't blow out a record loss today either, something a Simpson team would have 100%

Moreover it's not his fault that crabs like Petch, Rotham and co are running around in their prime delivering fec all when they should have been cut years ago. Or that we have a comically inept ruck despite Simpson having a decade to work up a succession plan. Or that we have had the worst performed midfield and haven't drafted or developed a good one since Shuey and Gaff.

At the end of the day Schofield will develop young kids and then, if the squad stars developing we can work out if a more strategic set up is required.

HoneyBadger35

Personally I actually wasn't keen on Schofield as a coach until seeing how he spoke and handled himself in the media. He'd been a largely invisible presence at the club in my eyes since coming over and I didn't rate our midfield output under him either. I was actually embarrassingly pro Simpson over the summer and said in many posts early in the year I could see him coaching out his contract and even getting another extension if the green shoots we saw continued to blossom. Then he bought back in Ryan and Sheed and Flynn underdone, got Gaff back into the side, rushed Allen back and everything just went to shit and I said if you are going to do it sack him after the north game and give Schofield the mid season break to reset the side and lets have a proper look at him in the second half. I still think we would have been better off doing it that way. When they finally sacked him I was sure there was a done deal with Dean Cox but I was learning toward Scooter Selwood. Schofield won me over in the way he spoke to the press, for the first time I got to see how he operates and I liked what I saw. If we go with a new coach I don't see any evidence any of the other assistants are better placed to take the job on and I think its just reactionary and short sighted to overlook him [while being the most qualified candidate] just because he's been associated with the previous regime or because the mentally weakest team to ever play football rolled back into old habits in 50% of the games after he took over. He's done well. If you were offered an away win and a home win and a bunch of positional changes, a Darling stint in the WAFL, and a bunch of games for Hall, Trew, Dewar and Johnston then I'd wager 99% of us would of taken that in a heartbeat.

No so far as the hot tip that this is the internet and people sometimes disagree with you. I'd say maybe take your own advice mate. The only interaction we'd had before you started putting some very negative opinions of Schoey and Trew out there was for me to back you up on the Tim Kelly debate [has held up his end] and I'd imagine probably I'd of agreed with you on Simmo cause I was in the keep Simmo camp until the credits crew issues returned. I've been a board lurker for years and started an account because I'd randomly got some inside looks into the Jeremy Sharpe situation the year before when he couldn't get to Freo, was very keen for us to swoop and no-body on here seemed interested. Had no interest in arguing with you until your comments on Trews disposal which were way off the mark, now I'm apparently an alt account who's got it out for you. Lol. Stick to the well considered opinions and reserve the cheap shots for the players and coaches that deserve it and I'll not call you on it, anyone who's in the less than 10 games and giving it an honest crack for the club I believe deserves a staunch defence and I've given them.
I can’t go through all of that point for point or we’d be here all day, but a couple of things stick out.

Gaff’s handling this year has been damn near perfect. That is to say he was invisible in R1, subbed out at half time, then didn’t return for months until we basically had no more options and he had many 30+ WAFL games under his belt. This “then the credits crew returned” angle is a fallacy.

Schofield has to take some blame for how bad our midfield has been when he’s been the midfield coach. And if he gets credit for changes post Simmo, he also has to eat the multiple games where we turned up and our midfield didn’t get a touch. He cant be coaching with his hands tied behind his back as both assistant and head coach.

The bar hasn’t become magically unfairly high when Schofield took the chair, but that stat up there isn’t exactly an unfair stick with which to beat someone. Eighth team in history to be down by 100 at the half. In history. Absolutely diabolical, and absolutely one of our worst losses ever. “Harsh to frame this as unacceptable” is generous beyond generous.

Nobody is asking for click the fingers everything is fixed - the list is miles away in many positions and incredibly thin at the very least. But he’s meant to be the rah rah, uncompromising hard nut motivator, and three of our four worst losses of the year imo were under him (Hawks at home the other, under Simpson, and definitely the worst to me).

If he was meant to be this genius at unlocking possession football, I’d expect our possession football to improve. But he’s not, he’s the rah rah hard nut, and our team has sleepwalked into 3.5 buzzsaws in his seven games at the helm.

The Freo and Melbourne wins were our best, then GC (Schoey, tick), then raffle the other two. But go and read the North thread at half time and tell me it was just an accuracy issue. We were diabolical, they had seven guys with more possessions than our leading disposal getter at halftime. Game runs thirty seconds longer or shorter and we lose, but we didn’t, we won it which is great. And he gets a tick for that. Just like a huge tick for unlocking HBF Ginbey, and some of the magnet throwing has been a very good platform to build on. Happy to praise him when it’s called for.

There is no way Schofield is picking the side.

Selection apparently isn’t up to him according to you, but now he gets ticks for playing Hall/Dewar/Trew etc? So which is it?

Midfield coach doesn’t bear the responsibility for our midfield performances, but we only had success in 2015/2018 because of our assistant coaches? So which is it?

If he gets the job I’m all in and hope he smashes it. I am throughly unconvinced.

PS. Zane Trew still can’t kick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back