• Lade

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Hinkley

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • Other

Votes: 29 29.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry for intruding - Just my thoughts on Skipworth given I've watched him a lot during training the last few years.

He's really opened up, became more vocal when he was given more opportunity to lead. Under Bucks, it's either he was (like most) walking on eggshells, but under Fly.. I've heard him speaks more than I had before.
He is very vocal at trainings, in drills. Maybe it was the environment under Fly, but it's as if he was given freedom to speak his mind.

Even coached a few pre-season games over the last few years. Done interviews where he is very articulate in what he says. But has connected to the players really well. He isn't afraid to tell it how he sees it.
Feels like he sees the game really well, and understands what needs to be done.

Thanks for posting this, correlates with what I've heard from others who have worked with him.

I rate H.Skipworth very highly. Last year he declined the invitation from B.Gale to interview for the role at Richmond, so didn't expect to see him put his hand up for the West Coast role. So was pleasantly surprised when it came out that he was on the shortlist for in-person interviews.

He's very much an introvert by nature who opens fully in an environment where he feels comfortable. Exceptionally genuine and has incredible football intelligence - he's the type where if he thinks he has seen something novel in a game he will rewatch the tape over and over again until he has broken down what is going on and how it eventuates.

Has a fantastic track record in working with developing talent as well.

The following is completely unverified and comes from joining pieces together from two separate and somewhat questionable sources. Only posting as it presents an interesting piece of narrative at the least.

D.Pyke calls J.Worsfold, asks for his opinion on H.Skipworth. Woosha gives a glowing reference, saying Skippy was the best coach he had under him at Essendon. Says it was he who convinced him [Skipworth] to move to Collingwood before the rats started eating each other at the Bombers. Pyke then asks Woosha if he can have a chat with Skipworth about why the senior assistant for the Magpies hasn't signalled interest in the job at West Coast.​
Worsfold does as requested, contacts Skipworth. Sells him the dream; once in a lifetime opportunity, big club, and direction can only go up. Tells him that he [Skipworth] already knows Pyke (Pyke coached him during his stint at the Crows assisting N.Craig), and that Pyke wants to know what is holding him back from wanting to coach the Eagles. Skipworth responds that he wasn't aware that he would be considered and will think about it.​
D.Pyke then calls S.Selwood. Asks him if he thinks Skipworth is ready to take on a top job. Scooter tells him that Skipworth is as ready as anyone. Pyke asks Selwood if he would be interested in coming across to West Coast. Selwood responds in humour that he [Pyke] needs to find a head coach first.​
Skipworth contacts G.Bell to sound out if he would be in consideration if he puts his name forward. Whilst meeting, Bell zoom calls Pyke. Pyke tells Skipworth if he wants an interview he's got the floor now. After an impressive on-the-spot run through of what the competition is doing and what West Coast should do to create success, Skipworth is invited to present in-person in Perth for the position.​

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Coach for 2025

Back