• Lade

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Hinkley

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Other

Votes: 49 34.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Longmire has made the finals 12 out of 14 years, topped the ladder on three occasions, made 5 grand finals and won one premiership. That's a phenomenal record.
I hate hearing about how muh better their culture is blah blah.
Sydney have their academy rort, COLA, a potential player base of 5+ million people etc etc. It helps when you can have the best players added for free.

A bit like Geelong- they have the upper hand over the rest of the comp with proper home ground advantage, players looking to move clubs out of the bubble, and travel is an hour or two for 95% of the year.

The proof is that both teams make finals often but can't win it all. If we transplant the same players to WCE/Freo then it goes from a top 4 finish -> Elimination final and so on.

Sydney have their academy rort, COLA, a potential player base of 5+ million people etc etc. It helps when you can have the best players added for free.

A bit like Geelong- they have the upper hand over the rest of the comp with proper home ground advantage, players looking to move clubs out of the bubble, and travel is an hour or two for 95% of the year.

The proof is that both teams make finals often but can't win it all. If we transplant the same players to WCE/Freo then it goes from a top 4 finish -> Elimination final and so on.
They have some advantages, and a few disadvantages. What is certain is that of late their culture has been solid while our has drifted into the power category. We would be better off focusing on our issues, and I think the club is doing so.

Back to coaches. If the 2 Richmond players are hesitant on committing before a coach is picked this would suggest they are seeing if McQualter gets the job. They might commit more to coming to WC if he does or may not be so bothered if he doesn't. If he does get the job it might be beneficial having 2 senior players who know him and his game plan. Like having a couple of extra assistant coaches.

They have some advantages, and a few disadvantages. What is certain is that of late their culture has been solid while our has drifted into the power category. We would be better off focusing on our issues, and I think the club is doing so.
Simply put the deck is stacked. No way any of the Northern coaches are moving on from the golden goose.
In WA we have the best home ground/travel advantage for 11 games a year. That's about it. We eat 💩 going the other way which must be a consideration for eastern states candidates on and off field.

This is almost a list of their respective best players over the course of the last few years. The disparity in off field facilities is now minimal across the comp as well.

Ashcroft F/S
Hipwood Academy
Andrews Academy
Fletcher F/S
Coleman Academy

Heeney Academy
Gulden Academy
Blakey Academy
Mills Academy
Campbell Academy

Take those Sydney 5 and put them in WCE colours and we are a top 6 team. However we have no capacity in which to get that leg up list wise.

I get the feeling that our next coach is not getting set up to fail - but cannot do any more than end up in a mediocre position. Id expect a 3 year deal for the incoming head coach. How long will the board accept middle of the road performances if that's what it comes to?

Trade week starts in 8 days. Surely tomorrow is the day. I know lots on her think we shouldnt rush it but geez we are well past that now.

I'd bet a significant amount of money that the club has already picked a coach who has signed or is in the process of signing a contract

either way they would already be working

Nooooo to Richmond rejects (baker & graham). keep our picks. They not interested in WCE unless we get the coach, they are holding us to ransom, They can F**K off.

I very much doubt that's the case.
I'd bet that they've already made their decisions but are being guided by their player managers about when they make the announcement.

Simply put the deck is stacked. No way any of the Northern coaches are moving on from the golden goose.
In WA we have the best home ground/travel advantage for 11 games a year. That's about it. We eat 💩 going the other way which must be a consideration for eastern states candidates on and off field.

This is almost a list of their respective best players over the course of the last few years. The disparity in off field facilities is now minimal across the comp as well.

Ashcroft F/S
Hipwood Academy
Andrews Academy
Fletcher F/S
Coleman Academy

Heeney Academy
Gulden Academy
Blakey Academy
Mills Academy
Campbell Academy

Take those Sydney 5 and put them in WCE colours and we are a top 6 team. However we have no capacity in which to get that leg up list wise.

I get the feeling that our next coach is not getting set up to fail - but cannot do any more than end up in a mediocre position. Id expect a 3 year deal for the incoming head coach. How long will the board accept middle of the road performances if that's what it comes to?
that doesn't explain 2018 and what would have been a couple of great following years if not for willie and a failure of leadership over covid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd bet a significant amount of money that the club has already picked a coach who has signed or is in the process of signing a contract

either way they would already be working

In any case, list management involves long term planning and is the responsibility of Clarke. No chance a new coach comes in and starts dictating who to trade in and out.

In any case, list management involves long term planning and is the responsibility of Clarke. No chance a new coach comes in and starts dictating who to trade in and out.

Its not just about players. I think a late appointment of a coach also affects the assistants he can bring too. The later we approach the harder it will be to get them across. In fact i dare say alot are on holiday now and working towards the next preseason so will be interesting to see how we go in that space.

In WA we have the best home ground/travel advantage for 11 games a year. That's about it. We eat going the other way which must be a consideration for eastern states candidates on and off field.

Ashcroft F/S
Hipwood Academy
Andrews Academy
Fletcher F/S
Coleman Academy

Heeney Academy
Gulden Academy
Blakey Academy
Mills Academy
Campbell Academy

The reason Sydney are doing well is because they found players like Warner cheap.

Brisbane got in neale, Cameron, Daniher, ah chee, Dunkley through trade as well as lohmann through draft. Success isn’t purely down to academy.

Whilst some of players on your list are special, many others are good but not extraordinary players.

You can’t have academies or nga’s only if no good players come through. And statistics purely say you can’t have all nga’s producing a-graders all the time.

I do say that Blakey one, where he was also a FS should not have been allowed.

Let's have a look at the Sydney team that lined up on Saturday. Information has been collected from Wikipedia, so take it with a grain of salt...

Dane Rampe -- Rookie, 2013
Tom McCartin -- Pick 33, 2017
Nick Blakey -- Pick 10, 2018
Jake Lloyd -- Rookie, 2013
Harry Cunningham -- Rookie, 2012
Lewis Melican -- Rookie selection, 2015
James Jordan -- Pick 33, 2018 Melbourne. Moved to Sydney as an free agent
Chad Warner -- Pick 39, 2019
Oliver Florent -- Pick 11, 2016
Luke Parker -- Pick 40, 2010
Logan McDonald -- Pick 4, 2020
Errol Gulden -- Pick 32, 2020
Tom Papely -- Rookie, 2016
Joel Amarty -- Pick 28, 2018
Will Hayward -- Pick 21, 2016
Brodie Grundie -- Trade from Melbourne
Isaac Heeney -- Pick 18, 2014
James Rowbottom -- Pick 25, 2018
Matthew Roberts -- Pick 34, 2021
Robbie Fox -- Rookie, 2017
Justin McInerny -- Pick 44, 2018
Hayden Maclean -- Rookie, 2018
Braeden Campbell -- Pick 5, 2020

I don't know how that compares to other teams, but that's a lot of mid- and late- draft selections, plus plenty of rookies. Only two players have come from other clubs -- Grundy and Jordan. And Jordan was an unrestricted free agent because he'd previously been delisted at Melbourne. Granted, they got lucky on the Grundy deal... but then, other teams could have chased Grundy too.

COLA was removed back in 2014, so almost every player on their list was recruited post-COLA.

As for academy picks... I believe Blakey, Isaac Heeney and Braeden Campbell were all academy players. Blakey and Campbell were matched picks, and Sydney had to give up pick 10 and 5 respectively. Heeney was also matched, but the rules were different at the time, and Sydney were able to get away with using pick 18 to match a bid from Melbourne for pick 2.

So from what I can gather, the only really "unfair" advantage this Sydney team has had so far, was getting Heeney at pick 18... and the AFL immediately changed the rules subsequently.

IMHO, however you look at it, Sydney have done a fantastic job in building a top side. I have no idea how much of that is credit to Longmire, versus their list manager, talent scouts, development coaches, etc.

But they beat us in pretty much every facet of the game. And they've turned their biggest disadvantage into a big advantage (ie, not being a Victorian club)... something we haven't figured out how to do.

Its not just about players. I think a late appointment of a coach also affects the assistants he can bring too. The later we approach the harder it will be to get them across. In fact i dare say alot are on holiday now and working towards the next preseason so will be interesting to see how we go in that space.
Matthew Nick's appointed 15 October
Chris Fagan appointed 3rd October
Brad Scott appointed 29th September
Justin Longmuir appointed 30th September
Ken Hinkley appointed 5th October
Simpson appointed 3rd October

Will be any time soon and not unusual to be late September or early October

Let's have a look at the Sydney team that lined up on Saturday. Information has been collected from Wikipedia, so take it with a grain of salt...

Dane Rampe -- Rookie, 2013
Tom McCartin -- Pick 33, 2017
Nick Blakey -- Pick 10, 2018
Jake Lloyd -- Rookie, 2013
Harry Cunningham -- Rookie, 2012
Lewis Melican -- Rookie selection, 2015
James Jordan -- Pick 33, 2018 Melbourne. Moved to Sydney as an free agent
Chad Warner -- Pick 39, 2019
Oliver Florent -- Pick 11, 2016
Luke Parker -- Pick 40, 2010
Logan McDonald -- Pick 4, 2020
Errol Gulden -- Pick 32, 2020
Tom Papely -- Rookie, 2016
Joel Amarty -- Pick 28, 2018
Will Hayward -- Pick 21, 2016
Brodie Grundie -- Trade from Melbourne
Isaac Heeney -- Pick 18, 2014
James Rowbottom -- Pick 25, 2018
Matthew Roberts -- Pick 34, 2021
Robbie Fox -- Rookie, 2017
Justin McInerny -- Pick 44, 2018
Hayden Maclean -- Rookie, 2018
Braeden Campbell -- Pick 5, 2020

I don't know how that compares to other teams, but that's a lot of mid- and late- draft selections, plus plenty of rookies. Only two players have come from other clubs -- Grundy and Jordan. And Jordan was an unrestricted free agent because he'd previously been delisted at Melbourne. Granted, they got lucky on the Grundy deal... but then, other teams could have chased Grundy too.

COLA was removed back in 2014, so almost every player on their list was recruited post-COLA.

As for academy picks... I believe Blakey, Isaac Heeney and Braeden Campbell were all academy players. Blakey and Campbell were matched picks, and Sydney had to give up pick 10 and 5 respectively. Heeney was also matched, but the rules were different at the time, and Sydney were able to get away with using pick 18 to match a bid from Melbourne for pick 2.

So from what I can gather, the only really "unfair" advantage this Sydney team has had so far, was getting Heeney at pick 18... and the AFL immediately changed the rules subsequently.
Sure theyve done a good job, but theyve been around the mark for finals the entire time. Both their last 2 grand finals teams had midfields led by academy kids they got for an absolute steal, Mills and Heeney.
Theyve no doubt found good players with later picks in the draft, but their A-graders really are just academy kids, trade ins and Warner.
A bit of a mix of good recruiting and academies. Its a lot easier to find decent players when you have the A-graders sorted
IMHO, however you look at it, Sydney have done a fantastic job in building a top side. I have no idea how much of that is credit to Longmire, versus their list manager, talent scouts, development coaches, etc.

But they beat us in pretty much every facet of the game. And they've turned their biggest disadvantage into a big advantage (ie, not being a Victorian club)... something we haven't figured out how to do.
They have a 1 hour flight compared to 5 hours, and still retain the significant home ground advantage with their odd-sized home ground.
They also have an academy that we do not. Imagine if we had been able to take a couple of top 5 pick players in the 2015-2018 period, we would still be playing decent footy if that was the case.

It’s within the realms of possibility that the reason we haven’t named our coach yet is because we’re working with any assistant(s) the new coach wants to bring with him

But that’s just me guessing

It’s within the realms of possibility that the reason we haven’t named our coach yet is because we’re working with any assistant(s) the new coach wants to bring with him

But that’s just me guessing

Two seem mutually exclusive to me.

I’d say we are struggling to make up our minds as they are all good.

Or we are getting Longmire.

Nooooo to Richmond rejects (baker & graham). keep our picks. They not interested in WCE unless we get the coach, they are holding us to ransom, They can F**K off.
Neither are Richmond rejects. Baker is one of their better players and they've offered Graham a new contract.

The 'ransom' hyperbole and assumption about the coach is odd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Coach for 2025

Back