Son of a Gun

Debutant
Feb 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Man Utd, Friars
By now the majority of clubs in the VAFA (being those who missed the finals) will be considering their coaching positions for 2007. The ads have already started to appear on the VAFA website but how many of them are truly open to applicants and how many of them are advertisements to give the appearance of the club looking around (or satisfying its constitutional requirements to advertise) even though the incumbent has already been given the job?

I'll kick to off by stating that Pat Mannix at Whitefriars informed the players after their win on Saturday against St Kevins that he won't be continuing on next season due to family and work commitments. Some might wonder why he'd do that with a week to go and the club still a chance to stay in B Grade but the upside is that the players are playing for their chance to stay up and aren't wondering about rumours and outside distractions such as coaching ads etc.

Pat's done a great job as coach and with a young list (average age of seniors this year is 21) and retirements/overseas players from last year which included over 1400 senior games the future of the club is well placed for a new coach to take control.

What news do people have re other clubs?

rightfoot_sloth said:
Gun - Wouldn't your 2's coach be a chance to take the 1's job as he has coached senior footy elsewhere i.e. Eltham Turtles ?

Very unlikely given he "moved on" after round 4 or 5. The current 2's coach is a playing coach.

Prahran are definitely getting a new coach for 2007, with Leigh Stafford stepping down as playing coach after pulling off a miracle in D1 section this year...

crap... Stafford did a great job to pull a team devastated by player losses out of the relegation zone.. they would have had him back in a flash.

He was without Scicluna(first half), Bevan,McCudden,Sleight, just to name a few, four of the best players in the competition the previous season. Love to know what he is doing next season- If he is coaching elsewhere, of has another role at Prahran?

Archangel17 said:
crap... Stafford did a great job to pull a team devastated by player losses out of the relegation zone.. they would have had him back in a flash.

He was without Scicluna(first half), Bevan,McCudden,Sleight, just to name a few, four of the best players in the competition the previous season. Love to know what he is doing next season- If he is coaching elsewhere, of has another role at Prahran?
I was talking about the original post with Pat Mannix

Jack Mihocek said:
S.O.G What about the asst coach from Marcellin I hear that he's likely to get the job?

JM, Pete Randall (Asst Coach and previously from Marcellin) has not got the job. In fact I have it on reliable authority that Greg Feutrill (former Friars Senior Coach 2001-2003 and Assistant Senior Coach at Old Xavs 2005-2006) has been appointed to the job;) . Official announcement to be made today or tomorrow.

Great pickup by the friars as Greg Feutrill is an experienced VAFA coach having had positions with DLS, Therry, Friars and Old Xavs and has in the past 4 years as coach (1 year off in 04 due to work) been involved in 2 premierships (Friars in C Grade in 02, Old Xavs in A Grade in 05) and 2 runners up (Friars in B Grade in 03, Old Xavs this year).

eddiesmith said:
I heard a rumour if he didnt step down he wouldnt have been coaching next year anyway?

Eddiesmith,

If you are such a huge Paul Colling wood fan then you would know which local side he first played for when he first came to Australia as a raw 19 year old........

Archangel17 said:

Arch
Staff stepped down due to business commitments, having started his own company this year. He wants to play again next year and that will depend on the new coach. It's highly likely that he will have an off-field role at the club if he doesn't play.

Don't forget the club also lost Plummer, Bunnett, Fuller, Hall, Hunt, Campbell, Docherty & Dempsey from the senior group of '05. He was also let down quite badly by the man who was supposed to replace Bevan & Plummer as assistant cach.
If anyone else can tell me a club the has lost the first half of games and avoided the drop I'll point you to a happy club.
With the Under 19 team finally getting up for 2007 & the bond the current group have been forging the new coach will benefit greatly from Staff's groundwork.
2007 is building as a big year at Toorak Park & I for one can't wait

CMCK

(Log in to remove this ad.)

overtheline said:
Owen Lalor to coach Parkdale seniors 2007. This year coached sbmt under 19's.

Think you may find he is still at SBMT as their website states that he has been re-appointed.

The AJAX Football Club is pleased to announce the appointment of STUART POWELL as the Senior Coach for season 2007.

His previous experiences as Senior Coach of the 1st XVIII at St. Kevin's College as well as development coaching at the Sandringham Dragons will provide the club with a tremendous opportunity of consolidating its' position in the higher grades of the VAFA.

scroda said:
The AJAX Football Club is pleased to announce the appointment of STUART POWELL as the Senior Coach for season 2007.

His previous experiences as Senior Coach of the 1st XVIII at St. Kevin's College as well as development coaching at the Sandringham Dragons will provide the club with a tremendous opportunity of consolidating its' position in the higher grades of the VAFA.

Very dissapointing news for SKOB.

Can anyone from OM's confirm Dean Rice has not been re-appointed (and has moved to Mulgrave) and that Russell Morris (ex Saint/Hawk) is the new senior coach?

scroda said:

Interesting - one of my former coaches was scheduled to have an interview with them this week, and was quite shocked to find out they'd already appointed someone without interviewing other applicants.

Weird.

Russell Morris coaching A Section?

Bring it on. Didn't he run around in the Ammos many moons ago and give it away after a few weeks because "blokes kept belting me".

Interesting stuff

Remove this Banner Ad

Coaching positions for 2007

Remove this Banner Ad

Back