News Coaching Thread: The Hardwick Era

Remove this Banner Ad

The coaching thing confuses the hell out of me. I have no idea how important they actually are but I suspect it’s more important to have the team around them right. And maybe it’s true that one guy might have the right stuff to get part way there while another has the edge to go higher. I don’t know.

The worrying thing is how few do it twice at different clubs, and the last guy to do that (Matthews) has freely downplayed the importance of the coach

I think we definitely switch coaches and that’s fair, but I also think Dew can thank (not) whoever made the call that Rankine was not worth the money. No doubt the same gameplan, same personnel sits at 10-5 and inside the eight with Rankine in our forward line. The difference between a positive narrative and a negative narrative.
Matthews does that because he coached in an era before defensive zones etc. His gameplan consisted of moving the ball forward at all costs.
He would be absolutely lost coaching today.

On CPH2333 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Reckon we have a ready made coach at the Suns. Really enjoy watching the style of play from the Suns VFL team. Josh Drummond has his team playing a fast attacking style and scoring big. You will notice also they chip the ball around in the forward line making scoring easier, something the Dew led team doesn’t do much. Instead they bomb it down to poor Max King who is getting crucified and losing form.

Josh has been in the system about as long as Craig McRae, so he is not raw.

Reckon also the club had a hand in Dew coaching from the boundary and when available, being accompanied by Josh.
With the squad Drummond has this year he should look good. Not saying he isn't but the standard they are up against most weeks it makes it hard to get a read on any game styles as they aren't under real pressure.

Matthews does that because he coached in an era before defensive zones etc. His gameplan consisted of moving the ball forward at all costs.
He would be absolutely lost coaching today.

He won them when he won them, and was the last to do it at different clubs (some very big names couldn’t).

He’s not alone thinking the head coach is overrated, Wayne Carey recently said similar. Love him or hate him, he knows what goes into winning a big game.

Think what hardwick would have on his side as a 2nd time coach is age. Think some of the others that have done it before are old and stubborn and stuck in their old ways of doing things. Certainly is important to have a good team around him though. Would start with replacing miller and kaesler.

Not for us Jen. We need someone that will make us take the next step.
Finals was a given from all the talk coming from the club.
Now it's a pipe dream unless we win every game
Yeah, for anyone else it might be different, but I do reckon someone with success history and the standing in the game he has, he would know how to make a team that has lingered around the middle; successful.

You've been through first time coaches, but to take the next step, I think someone like Dimma is needed.

I must admit that I've had a soft spot for him because of how bad the club was when he came in.
"Give him a go" I used to tell everyone who gave me stick about the results.
This year I wasn't able to watch the Carlton game live. Watched it on Kayo and turned it off at half time. First time ever.
Haven't walked out of the stadium yet but was close against the Pies.
I think it's time
I was at that carlton game.
I left the U18 championship game at Ikon park so I could get to the G in time for this game. I was confident this would be a win. Had a few others with me.. but geez, was so bad. So much expectation especially after those darwin games, then come and do this.
Then yeah, beat hawks.. Most have, so not sure that's an achievement.. Then we have last Saturday ---

He won them when he won them, and was the last to do it at different clubs (some very big names couldn’t).

He’s not alone thinking the head coach is overrated, Wayne Carey recently said similar. Love him or hate him, he knows what goes into winning a big game.
Carey and Matthews understandably think that way because they were absolute stars and would have been regardless of who was coaching.
What a good coach does however is bring up the standards of the average players from c and d graders to b graders and that’s what improves a Club.

With the squad Drummond has this year he should look good. Not saying he isn't but the standard they are up against most weeks it makes it hard to get a read on any game styles as they aren't under real pressure.
Valid point. However what is impressive is the changes he makes during the game. There are some quarters where the team has piled on ten goals.

Valid point. However what is impressive is the changes he makes during the game. There are some quarters where the team has piled on ten goals.

He didn’t make any changes on Sunday when the game was there to be won. Drummond will not be next coach of the Gold Coast Suns

I must admit that I've had a soft spot for him because of how bad the club was when he came in.
"Give him a go" I used to tell everyone who gave me stick about the results.
This year I wasn't able to watch the Carlton game live. Watched it on Kayo and turned it off at half time. First time ever.
Haven't walked out of the stadium yet but was close against the Pies.
I think it's time

This is how I feel.
Thought he deserved a crack this year when the list was ready to win 12 or 13 games.
But too many feeble performances this year that are not balanced out by the good games.
The evidence to date is Dew is not able to get a team to play as well as they can for long periods.
But also think stability is really important and we should have waited for the evidence to come in.

Interesting article on Superfooty about the Tiger’s search for their next coach. Gale has hinted they will look for a first time senior coach again, as they did with Hardwick.

But his comment “one of the great things about Damien was he was a smart coach and had great potential but he was able to grow with the team. That is a pretty important consideration. Damien really evolved and changed with the way you coach elite sport”.

This is where I feel Dew is falling behind. Has the potential but doesn’t seem to be improving as a coach, too set in his ways and unwilling to work on his weaknesses. Has he reached his ceiling already?

The coaching thing confuses the hell out of me. I have no idea how important they actually are but I suspect it’s more important to have the team around them right. And maybe it’s true that one guy might have the right stuff to get part way there while another has the edge to go higher. I don’t know.

The worrying thing is how few do it twice at different clubs, and the last guy to do that (Matthews) has freely downplayed the importance of the coach 🤷🏻‍♂️

I think we definitely switch coaches and that’s fair, but I also think Dew can thank (not) whoever made the call that Rankine was not worth the money. No doubt the same gameplan, same personnel sits at 10-5 and inside the eight with Rankine in our forward line. The difference between a positive narrative and a negative narrative.
If Craig Cameron doesn’t go when Dew does then I will be less then optimistic about any real change coming to the club.

The only thing that could possibly save his job is if it came out that he only made the decisions he did because Dew held too much sway in list decisions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm staggered there hasnt been as many changes this year, given some of the losses and good performances in the vfl. And with a healthy injury list too.

If this was most other sides and getting thrashed or losing in general, you try to find your best mix that will increase your chances at winning.

I'm staggered there hasnt been as many changes this year, given some of the losses and good performances in the vfl. And with a healthy injury list too.

If this was most other sides and getting thrashed or losing in general, you try to find your best mix that will increase your chances at winning.
You may be surprised but Suns played one of highest number of players - 38. Possibly only Eagles used more players.

Doesnt feel like it. That does surprise me.
To be honest, line-ups against Carlton and Magpies looked to me close to the best what we got. There were 3 changes after Carlton game. Some people would argue Oea, Rosas out, but minus Miller, Jeffrey that's pretty close. Most players in VFL got opportunities except Burgess, possibly McLaughlin, Blakely but I don't think they would make a difference. Sharp is gone and Hollands who knows.

It looked to me like players struggled to deliver with season on the line against Magpies and could not handle the occasion. For whatever reason.

Personally, I was surprised by Noah saying in his presser that effort was there. It looked to me like Magpies players were on another level. Do you use special drugs - confidence, happiness, genius coach?

Last edited:
Dew's issue for me has always been his gameplan rigidity.

"If Plan A doesn't work, we will just do Plan A harder"
But if your gameplay is contested ball-and it's no state secret that's what it is-how do you go to outside run at half time when you've recruited a midfield full of ploughs?(very good ploughs I might add but ploughs nonetheless)
You can't just flick a switch

Tune in to Fox Footy in the next five mins if you want the latest update on Dew. Apparently Robbo just got off the phone with him and is about to provide an update.

Mark Evans would be having a cheeky coffee with Hinkley this weekend surely?

Dew has realistically done he’s job well he came in changed and shifted the clubs culture, stopped the clubs rotting exodus problem (for the most part) & got us from perennial wooden spooners and embarrassment to the league to a low to mid table team
It’s hard to be overly harsh on him because he genuinely seems like a top bloke you’d like to have a beer with
But after 6 years it’s pretty clear he’s tactically inept he’s gameplan is stuck in the mud of a bygone era & he can’t tinker and react accordingly on game day
If he’s fired I would also love to see the match day selection committee & list management be re evaluated too

Remove this Banner Ad

News Coaching Thread: The Hardwick Era

Remove this Banner Ad

Back