News Coaching Thread: The Hardwick Era

Remove this Banner Ad

You see it quite a bit in Football. Managers taking whole backroom teams and signing lots of their old players.

A couple is probably fine. You wouldn't like to see the entire group of assistants replaced in one go though.

Definitely, and it does look like Dimma has a bit of pull still among the coaching fraternity and can pick and choose the guys he wants to work with.

The first of what is hopefully many examples of the Dimma effect.

I think it’s fantastic that Dimma is hard at work. Setting in place his staff, talking to players one on one. I fully expect the players that were upset about Dew to realise they were conned by the end of pre-season

It may sound harsh on Dew but I’m super excited by what I have seen already

I think it’s fantastic that Dimma is hard at work. Setting in place his staff, talking to players one on one. I fully expect the players that were upset about Dew to realise they were conned by the end of pre-season

It may sound harsh on Dew but I’m super excited by what I have seen already

As I said after watching the press conference the I know it’s just words but the confidence of just hearing Hardwick speak looking straight into people’s eyes or at the camera not eyes flicking around the room has got to be a positive for the players.

stealing grigg from reigning premiers geelong feels good

How did he get out of his final year on his contract?
Maybe had an exit clause in contract. I still remember Eddie McGuire crying and wanting compensation when eade left Collingwood under contract to come and coach us

Probably one of Drummond, Kaesler, Miller has to go.
Drummond I'd think would be pretty safe. He has coached our VFL team to a minor premiership this year so that's a good start. Miller is fairly new so probably still has a few years left on his contract.

As I said after watching the press conference the I know it’s just words but the confidence of just hearing Hardwick speak looking straight into people’s eyes or at the camera not eyes flicking around the room has got to be a positive for the players.

How did he get out of his final year on his contract?
Maybe had an exit clause in contract. I still remember Eddie McGuire crying and wanting compensation when eade left Collingwood under contract to come and coach us

Mutual respect apparently. Maybe he does his apprenticeship with us and senior coaches Geelong when Scott is done

Tigers fan on twitter claiming we announced Rance is employed with us. Haven't seen it anywhere....... anyone?

anything specific in the article?
"Richmond great Alex Rance is set to join premiership mentor Damien Hardwick at Gold Coast next season. While he has once again poured cold water over rumours he could return to play, Rance is in advanced talks to join Hardwick's coaching staff as the three-time premiership coach heads north."
How many members of the '17 Richmond premiership team do we have now? Dimma, Rance, Grigg and Ellis?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have to start somewhere. If your a young defender would you rather be taught by Alex rance or Tate kaesler??
Hasn't Rance spent the last few years coaching/mentoring draft hopefuls?

I'm sure our young defenders like Ballard, Andrew and Powell and would all love to learn from one of the best modern defenders the league has ever seen. The player that may end up benefitting the most could be Ethan Read as he's potentially going to play a similar athletic tall defender role to the one Rance played during his career and he will get to shape him from the very beginning of his AFL career.

Rancey often tells this great story about how he was really struggling to make it in his early years and he found himself in the VFL reserves (Div 3) thinking he was about to be traded/delisted when the club brought in Justin Leppitsch and it completely turned everything around for Rance. Leppa was obviously one of the all-time great defenders and in Rance's words Leppitsch gave him the tools and instilled the belief he needed to make it at the top level. That's the kind of impact a former great can have on a player and obviously we'd all like Rance to have a similar impact on our defenders. Probably also worth mentioning that Rance is known as a bit of a larrikin in the club environment and we know our playing group is notoriously quiet so that could really improve the team culture as well. Should be an interesting watch!

This is going to be a recipe for disaster.

Do you guys really think Dimma is just giving jobs to his “mates”?

He would have intimate knowledge of whether these people suit our needs from working with them.

If I left my job to run another business I would want people I know and trust to help me build what I’m trying to build.

This isn’t a politician, giving a job to his nowhere burger son just because he can…

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Do you guys really think Dimma is just giving jobs to his “mates”?

He would have intimate knowledge of whether these people suit our needs from working with them.

If I left my job to run another business I would want people I know and trust to help me build what I’m trying to build.

This isn’t a politician, giving a job to his nowhere burger son just because he can…

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Well Rance perfect example, never been an Assistant and is having major Financial issuews with his Academy.

Do people realise that Dew basically did the exact same thing when he came in. Brought his own people including new head of footy (Haines) and new assistant coaches. It happens at every club
Some folk just want to complain. They would probably moan if he hired people he had never worked with too.

Do people realise that Dew basically did the exact same thing when he came in. Brought his own people including new head of footy (Haines) and new assistant coaches. It happens at every club
Fly bought in his mates, and its going well.
If Dimma thinks these blokes will help, then gotta trust him on that.

In terms of him never done coaching -- well nobody has until you get an opportunity.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back