News Coburg cash strapped (Richmond may have own VFL team next year)

Remove this Banner Ad

It's sad to read about Coburg's financial woes, alas, having a stand alone Tigers side is of paramount importance. It'll be good to watch some matches at punt road!

The whole VFL system is a joke and proves that Victorian football is losing ground to South and Western Australia whose local competitions are actually improving in standard and crowd numbers.
The old VFA was pillaged to make way for this bastardised version and it is not working. AFL clubs want stand alone teams in a stand alone comp, but the AFL is powerless to do anything about it. It effectively killed off of the VFA by moving some clubs to the VFL, but is too gutless to actually kill it off for good for the betterment of football in this state.
The sooner we go back to a reserves system with all Victorian clubs fielding stand alone teams in a stand alone comp, the better the game will be (here in Victoria). The only problem is money. And it's an important problem. The AFL doesn't, nor should it, want to prop up a Victorian comp when the national interests are at the forefront of their minds.
The AFL created this mess by disbanding the VFA and throwing this bastardised version at us. The punters rejected it and will continue to reject it.
I don't identify with Coburg. Never have. Never will. The sooner we get our own team, playing home games at Punt Rd (with some at Craigieburn), the better we as a club will be. Not just on field, but supporters will have a reason to identify with our 2nd team again.

Please let this be the end of our alliance with Coburg. With Punt Rd being resurfaced and the ground dimensions being changed to match Docklands then a stand alone VFL side playing mostly at Pun Rd would be awesome.

To be able to watch "the ressies" at our home ground and then head to the 'G afterwards is my idea of a great day.

How much money is actually needed to fund a VFL side? How much money would be made from beer sales at the ground if we did have a team running about?

The whole VFL system is a joke and proves that Victorian football is losing ground to South and Western Australia whose local competitions are actually improving in standard and crowd numbers.
The old VFA was pillaged to make way for this bastardised version and it is not working. AFL clubs want stand alone teams in a stand alone comp, but the AFL is powerless to do anything about it. It effectively killed off of the VFA by moving some clubs to the VFL, but is too gutless to actually kill it off for good for the betterment of football in this state.
The sooner we go back to a reserves system with all Victorian clubs fielding stand alone teams in a stand alone comp, the better the game will be (here in Victoria). The only problem is money. And it's an important problem. The AFL doesn't, nor should it, want to prop up a Victorian comp when the national interests are at the forefront of their minds.
The AFL created this mess by disbanding the VFA and throwing this bastardised version at us. The punters rejected it and will continue to reject it.
I don't identify with Coburg. Never have. Never will. The sooner we get our own team, playing home games at Punt Rd (with some at Craigieburn), the better we as a club will be. Not just on field, but supporters will have a reason to identify with our 2nd team again.

Difference being in regards to crowd numbers most weeks there is only one AFL game on in Perth if any. So people head out to the WAFL to get there footy fix.

Please let this be the end of our alliance with Coburg. With Punt Rd being resurfaced and the ground dimensions being changed to match Docklands then a stand alone VFL side playing mostly at Pun Rd would be awesome.

To be able to watch "the ressies" at our home ground and then head to the 'G afterwards is my idea of a great day.

How much money is actually needed to fund a VFL side? How much money would be made from beer sales at the ground if we did have a team running about?
From memory the licence is about $55k, and then about $200k a year in running costs. Someone with more knowledge might have to correct me, but I read that somewhere.

From memory the licence is about $55k, and then about $200k a year in running costs. Someone with more knowledge might have to correct me, but I read that somewhere.

So let's say $250,000 per year and we play 8 games there. $30,000 a game in beer sales should not be beyond the Richmond supporters (2000 fans X $15). Plus a $2-3 for a sausage in bread.

Sorry BF, just read Caro's article again.

An aligned licence costs $55,000 annually, with the clubs fielding their own teams, such as Collingwood, having to pay $190,000 as well as the additional costs of running a stand-alone side.

I'm not sure now. I assume we would drop the aligned licence fee, but there are substantial extra costs in fielding our own side. Maybe around $400k per year?

Difference being in regards to crowd numbers most weeks there is only one AFL game on in Perth if any. So people head out to the WAFL to get there footy fix.
Fair point, but they also relate to their WAFL club as well. A West Coast supporter will still support, say, Claremont. A Crows supporter in SA, will still support, say, Glenelg.
The VFL and its clubs have no identity anymore. I support Richmond. But I don't support Coburg. But I would support a Richmond reserves team.

Both Freo and WC have their players drop back and get distributed amongst the WAFL, yes?
Yes. But the point I am making is that the WAFL clubs have retained their identity in doing so.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair point, but they also relate to their WAFL club as well. A Claremont supporter still supports Claremont. A Glenelg supporter in SA, still supports Glenelg.
The VFL and its clubs have no identity anymore.

What the AFL needs to do to fix the shithouse state of the VFL is introduce the relegation system again, with the best team from the lower leagues being promoted. There are quite a few suburban footy clubs that would embarrass VFL clubs with the way they are run and are finacially/supporter base viable.
Reintroduce the ressies for those who want it and can maintain it. Who ****ing cares if its a 6 team comp.
They can play themselves 4 times in a season..At the end of the day what gets lost in all the comparisons, re. WAFL & SANFL and here is that those comps have 9 teams in them...thats the difference..;)

Shit yeh, beers at puntrd and watch the ressies. Then at the end of the qtrs pile up in the royal:thumbsu: After that watch the Tiges at the G......That would be a ripper of a day!

lol @ Coburg having to go downhill for me to get excited about that

the problem is though that RFC would have to spend a few hundred grand upgrading the facilities at Punt Road to cope with the grounds. there's barely any seating around the ground and are there enough toilets, food stalls etc to cater to say, 3000 people? (being conservative). maybe even more people might turn up?

but yes, if the Tigers had their own VFL side, and a membership included access to their games - that could only be a good thing and a bigger incentive for future members.

Bang !!!!

Benny Gale said at the launch of the FTF last year that the cost was around 400K to field our own team and until the debt was wiped out we had to stick with Coburg .... hence the importance of wiping out the debt .

The club is well aware of the importance of having our own stand alone team in the VFL comp for future development of the players

I will say it again...WAFL & SANFL have 9 team comp and 2 AFL sides each.
Victoria has 10 clubs in AFL and 13 in VFL...therein lies the problem that the AFL probably know about, but are completely lost in how to resolve it..They know what needs to happen, but they dont know how to go about it..;)

I agree with Tugg's and co on this one. As a rural supporter, i have never identified with anything else other than the RFC. It is sad that Coburg is in the position it's in, but, if it furthers the interests of the club i love and support, then so be it. Made my day thinking about a stand alone VFL team again.

what if we bought coburg out......

it saves buying a new licence.....

all the infrastructure is there already....

relax dude, why would we want that? We then inherit the lease on their ground too, dont we?
The infrastructure at Punt Rd will get there in the end. Just get the team playing there and the rest will unfold over time. The resurfacing is the first step. Once that is done, they can slowly put the wheels in motion for a couple of stands around the ground, and we build from there. ;)

Those AFL clubs that want to field stand alone sides should form their own league. We all, except Melbourne, have our own grounds that can host games which would see any money generated from the games going back into the clubs. With Melbourne they could easily play games at our ground or Vic Park. All of the grounds are inside metro Melbourne, except Geelong. That is another problem with the current VFL set up. People aren't going to travel out to Casey Frankston North Ballarat or Bendigo to watch them play. However if you're playing games at Visy or Vic Park or Arden St or Witten Oval people will travel to them to watch the kids go around.

Also I don't think we have to pay the licence fee every year. I believe that would be a one-off cost in the first year, after that all we would have is the ongoing running costs each year.

Is it just me that doesn't like the idea of all the Melbourne AFL sides forming their own VFL teams? Seems kind of pointless. WAFL is successful because WC and Freo aren't allowed to have their own teams and players are spread. I can see the VFL just becoming a mini AFL, which while it may increase the skill of players, takes away its separation as its own entity. Then all that will happen is the Richmond VFL Reserves will just become the new Coburg. But I guess if the current structure isn't working for whatever reason then something needs to change.

Interesting tid bit... did you know that before approaching Coburg (in 2000/1??), Richmond approached Port Melbourne about an alignment?

The sticking point... Richmond wanted the Boroughs to be known as the Port Melbourne Tigers and occasionally wear the Richmond jumper... both a big NO with Port Melbourne.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Coburg cash strapped (Richmond may have own VFL team next year)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back