Sheeds

Premiership Player
Oct 8, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Everton
You would think watching the game last night that Roger James would just be sitting there shaking his head in dismay.

Cochrane was controversially given a spot in the 22 last night when really you could not possibly say his form warranted it in recent times, his form at Central emphasise this.

Mark Williams not only picked Cochrane in the side, he gave him a spot in the starting 18 and he was rewarded with 103 minutes of gametime and had 2 main tagging roles for the night.

For much of the first half Cochrane had the job on Scott Thompson. To put it simply Thompson pulled his pants down and dominated. Thompson setup important clearances, won the hard ball and kicked a couple of great goals. The second quarter was where Cochrane won most of his 15 possesions, as part as our poor tactic of chipping the ball around in the defensive half we got alot of uncontested footy. Unfortunately when Cochrane gets the ball he just does stupid things. He simply takes the wrong option everytime he gets the ball and it really does hurt us. He has the wonderful ability of putting teammates under immense pressure.

Cochrane battles hard to his credit and after having his pants pulled down by Thompson Chocco made the wonderful decision to put him onto Riccutio.

You cannot blame Cochrane here because he has not got the ability to play on Roo and it showed.12 odd damaging possesions in the second half to the Roo and important clutch goals was vital in the Crows getting the win.

It is easy to go back and say we should have done this but not one person could possibly justify the selection of Cochrane in the side. I take my hat off to him because he always give 100% for the side and trys his guts out. Unfortunately his role last night was very costly, and when you look through the midfield clearances we were smashed for the most part and how good would Roger James had been in there last night. Perhaps even someone like Thomson who has at least been in good form in the SANFL.

Sheeds said:
You would think watching the game last night that Roger James would just be sitting there shaking his head in dismay.

Cochrane was controversially given a spot in the 22 last night when really you could not possibly say his form warranted it in recent times, his form at Central emphasise this.

Mark Williams not only picked Cochrane in the side, he gave him a spot in the starting 18 and he was rewarded with 103 minutes of gametime and had 2 main tagging roles for the night.

For much of the first half Cochrane had the job on Scott Thompson. To put it simply Thompson pulled his pants down and dominated. Thompson setup important clearances, won the hard ball and kicked a couple of great goals. The second quarter was where Cochrane won most of his 15 possesions, as part as our poor tactic of chipping the ball around in the defensive half we got alot of uncontested footy. Unfortunately when Cochrane gets the ball he just does stupid things. He simply takes the wrong option everytime he gets the ball and it really does hurt us. He has the wonderful ability of putting teammates under immense pressure.

Cochrane battles hard to his credit and after having his pants pulled down by Thompson Chocco made the wonderful decision to put him onto Riccutio.

You cannot blame Cochrane here because he has not got the ability to play on Roo and it showed.12 odd damaging possesions in the second half to the Roo and important clutch goals was vital in the Crows getting the win.

It is easy to go back and say we should have done this but not one person could possibly justify the selection of Cochrane in the side. I take my hat off to him because he always give 100% for the side and trys his guts out. Unfortunately his role last night was very costly, and when you look through the midfield clearances we were smashed for the most part and how good would Roger James had been in there last night. Perhaps even someone like Thomson who has at least been in good form in the SANFL.

Cochrane was pathetic from wear I was sitting. He should be delisted. Pack his bags for him, pay his bus ticket home (where ever it is) just get him out of Port Adelaide.

Look he is pretty bloody average... He was not great last night, but I can only recal 2 or 3 games in his Port career where has blanketed his opponent. Once on Pavlich (God knows how he managed that) and another time on Adam Goodes..

He was not our worst player though I don't think, or was he?

His disposals were generally ok, but every Pork supporter around me was screaming and groaning every time someone kicked to him or he got the ball.

pafc4life said:
the guy got us out of danger in the backline many many times

He was also personally responsible for two players who happened to cut us to ribbons once they were playing on him. Isn't his role one of a stopper?

Yeah...i dunno. How often does he actually effectively tag somebody? I can recall about one game each year hes been with us. He looked relaly good the first 4-6 weeks with us as a hard running long kicking midfielder. Dunno what happened.

Last night? Poor. Wasnt his worst game, but he just doesnt do anything that stands out and makes you think "gee that was great by the Roach". 2-3 times last night he had a free player up field but chose to wheel around and handball to someone behind him who was under pressure instead. He just makes poor choices when he gets the ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Macca19 said:
Yeah...i dunno. How often does he actually effectively tag somebody? I can recall about one game each year hes been with us. He looked relaly good the first 4-6 weeks with us as a hard running long kicking midfielder. Dunno what happened.

Last night? Poor. Wasnt his worst game, but he just doesnt do anything that stands out and makes you think "gee that was great by the Roach". 2-3 times last night he had a free player up field but chose to wheel around and handball to someone behind him who was under pressure instead. He just makes poor choices when he gets the ball.
He was ineffective in shutting down Thompson and Ricciuto. He made some poor decisions including handballing to Cornes who was surrounded by three Crows!

The guy tries, there's no doubt but I have to say I had mixed emotions when he snapped that goal. If anyone else had kicked that I would have said good goal but with Cochrane he first dropped a mark he should have taken and I was left wondering how much of arse went into that snap. Am I being fair? :confused:

My next thought was that this might be all the encouragement needed to keep him on our list and how bad that would be! :eek:

Please, please, please Choco, bring in Thomson! You know you want to. :cool:

i wish north would take him back and put him back on our list along with choppy is it true that he is not happy at port and wants to come back to melbourne if anyone can confirm that plz do

Toots Hibbert said:
The guy tries, there's no doubt but I have to say I had mixed emotions when he snapped that goal. If anyone else had kicked that I would have said good goal but with Cochrane he first dropped a mark he should have taken and I was left wondering how much of arse went into that snap. Am I being fair? :confused:

No your not being fair because it was Cassisi, not Cochrane :p

Macca19 said:
No your not being fair because it was Cassisi, not Cochrane :p
No sh*t! What a great snap then, and I guess that pass was just a little too high for him to mark.:D

(I asked the guy next to me if that was Cochrane because I couldn't believe what I thought I just saw, he thought it was too.)

nicole said:
i wish north would take him back and put him back on our list along with choppy is it true that he is not happy at port and wants to come back to melbourne if anyone can confirm that plz do
Pssst, it could be true. The roach is a gun who's career is being destroyed at Alberton. We'll swap him for Wells.

nicole said:
no way thered be no trade for wells 3rd round draft pick for choppy
Well you obviously don't want them as bad as you let on then. I don't think you'll find too many Port supporters wanting to trade Choppy.

power_goddess said:
Will you guys just give Stuey a break!!! At least he did a decent job in the defence line, but he could have space for improvements!

Hahahahahahahahahaha

Who are you his sister or something?

If by good job in defense you mean pick up easy possesion and then take the wrong options and put his teammates under the hammer then I agree with you.

If you read this thread you will see we are being fair too Stuey. It was not his fault Chocco put him in the side, and is not his fault he is a poor footballer.

His 2 poor tagging jobs were instrumental in the Crows winning the game.

I just know him okay... I am trying to stick up for him so that he doesnt have to cop so much s*** from you people who dont respect him. I have so much respect for him and as far as I know ever since Ive read every post about Stuey Cochrane who cant play for s*** I am beginning to lose faith in him. If you hadnt bad mouth about Stuey, he wouldnt be in this situation. If Stuey wants to play a good game and stay in the side, you shouldnt judge the way he plays and put your faith in him then he maybe will play a good game.

I know for a fact just because his father was a Central District Bulldogs legend and he is doing what is best to make his father impressed by following his father's footsteps. At least he has tried hard but maybe that wasnt his gift to play AFL football. Maybe it was best for him to play SANFL football than taking a chance to play AFL. He should have stayed in Centrals and his career would have been extremely better. He would have won a couple of best and fairests and be a premiership player four times if he hadnt gone to the kangaroos and port.

power_goddess said:
I just know him okay... I am trying to stick up for him so that he doesnt have to cop so much s*** from you people who dont respect him. I have so much respect for him and as far as I know ever since Ive read every post about Stuey Cochrane who cant play for s*** I am beginning to lose faith in him. If you hadnt bad mouth about Stuey, he wouldnt be in this situation. If Stuey wants to play a good game and stay in the side, you shouldnt judge the way he plays and put your faith in him then he maybe will play a good game.

I know for a fact just because his father was a Central District Bulldogs legend and he is doing what is best to make his father impressed by following his father's footsteps. At least he has tried hard but maybe that wasnt his gift to play AFL football. Maybe it was best for him to play SANFL football than taking a chance to play AFL. He should have stayed in Centrals and his career would have been extremely better. He would have won a couple of best and fairests and be a premiership player four times if he hadnt gone to the kangaroos and port.

I respect and understand what your saying.

I do not believe however that the performances of a professional AFL footballer would be dictated by what a few people on an internet forum have to say.

Everybody respects the way that Stuart Cochrane goes about his footy,you will find very few of us who question his endeavour and heart.

Unfortunately we call things as we see them and unfortunately not everything is always positive. Im sure Stuart Cochrane would not play a poor game knowing the 'Internet people' are waiting to rip into him.

I am not a Stuey Cochrane fan, although I acknowledge that he seems like a very decent bloke and clearly works hard on the track to get the best out of himself.

My huge gripe has been and always will be, with people who defend his spot in the side by labelling him as a tagger.
Firstly, we should not be playing any more than one and certainly not more than 2 taggers. Last night we lost the game in the first half when we played a defensive, preserve losing percentage, type of game. Stuey Cochrane was a big part of that.
Secondly, taggers who are not gifted as attacking footballers, must, MUST keep their opponents in check - ie no easy possessions and certainly as few goals as possible. Other than the first half of 2003 and the final against James Hird, Stuey has not achieved this objective.

I have one simple question to all of those who justify his position in the side.
If a guy is a tagger, and he can't tag, why play him? And why put him on the most dangerous opponents?

Re the Showdown performance:
I thought he did ok when he was near the contest last night; he did "save the day" on a handful of occasions. But his opponents kicked alot of goals between them. Any other defender would be bagged for that. Stuey is no different.

Remove this Banner Ad

Cochrane last night- Good or Bad?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back