Cochrane shown the door

Remove this Banner Ad

OK - an update:

MONEY SAVED
Matty...$175,000 in cap, another $175,000 not coutned to cap.
Roger...$250,000
Monty...$250,000
Byron...$325,000
Stuey...$110,000
Gilham..$55,000
Peel....$50,000
---------------------
Total...$1,140,000

MONEY SPENT
Motlop..$300,000
Lonie...$200,000
Salopek.$50,000 (extra ???)
Dew.....$75,000 (extra ???)
---------------------
Total...$625,000

Balance.$515,000

Malibu#27 said:
OK - an update:

MONEY SAVED
Matty $175,000 in cap, another $175,000 not coutned to cap.
Roger $250,000
Monty $250,000
Byron $325,000
Stuey $110,000
Gilham $55,000
Peel $50,000
---------------------
Total $1,140,000

MONEY SPENT
Motlop $300,000
Lonie $200,000
Salopek $50,000 (extra ???)
Dew $75,000 (extra ???)
---------------------
Total $625,000

Balance $515,000

What happens if you apply the cost of 4-5 new draftees & what is the minimum spend allowed?

Consider that the average AFL wage is around $110,000

Salopek would probably be close to that, and most probably over.
Dew would definitely be over that.

Anyone that gets a regular senior game, and signs a new contract, you can guarantee is earning over the AFL average and probably by a comfortable amount.

OK - an update:

MONEY SAVED
Matty...$175,000 in cap, another $175,000 not coutned to cap.
Roger...$250,000
Monty...$250,000
Byron...$325,000
Stuey...$110,000
Gilham..$55,000
Peel....$50,000
---------------------
Total...$1,140,000

MONEY SPENT
Motlop..$300,000
Lonie...$200,000
Draft1..$50,000 (what is minimum wage)
Draft2..$50,000 (what is minimum wage)
Draft3..$50,000 (what is minimum wage)
Draft4..$50,000 (what is minimum wage)
Draft5..$50,000 (what is minimum wage)

---------------------
Total...$875,000

Balance.$265,000

The effect is we dont have much left :(

Didn't Wangas take a bit less now as well (now that he is part-time!). Also, what about veterans? Won't we have at least 2 who have half their $$ not counted (or however it works)? That would free up a little more.

MONEY SAVED
Matty...$175,000 in cap, another $175,000 not counted to cap.
Roger...$250,000
Monty...$250,000
Byron...$325,000
Stuey...$110,000
Poults..$100,000
Gilham..$55,000
Peel....$50,000
Francou.$50,000 (reduction)
Wangas..$50,000 (have guessed $100,000 reduction (on vets) to much ??)
---------------------
Total...$1,415,000

MONEY SPENT
Motlop..$300,000
Lonie...$200,000
Pearce..$75,000
Draft1..$50,000 (what is minimum wage)
Draft2..$50,000 (what is minimum wage)
Draft3..$50,000 (what is minimum wage)
Draft4..$50,000 (what is minimum wage)
PSD.....$140,000 (expect a mature player)

---------------------
Total...$1,040,000

Balance.$375,000

not sure about vets as yet ..... maybe Francou will go on ? Tredrea next year ?

bringbackbucky said:
not the sharpest tool in the shed are you Mark...

Seeing as he made this comment on the Roos Board about Port supporters ...

mark73 said:
enough...we don't want any of the ********ness off their list,not to mention their pathetic culture or humour or their mentally impaired supporters.

... he's obviously afraid that such a move would've raised the IQ of both supporter groups ... ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've heard North Adelaide are trying to recruit Gilham's brother. Maybe the crows are interested in Stephen ... they had a crack last year ...

This is another correct decision by our club.

Full credit to Stuey for being a popular and much liked player amongst his coaches and teammates. His first dozen games for us seemed to indicate that a bright career lay ahead. His growing ineffectiveness as a nullifying player left him unable to find a role in our side, despite Williams eeking out many extra games from him that could have been served by allowing younger players opportunities to develop.

That is behind us all. Hopefully the Cochrane experiences of 2004 and 2005 will not be repeated with the likes of Shattock or any other trade pickups who underperform.

As a very close and good friend Stuey, those two and a half years has been very memorable and as for him, I think he has as well, where I think it was hard for him to make the transition from Melbourne to back home to Adelaide, but it was all the best for him but as a result, it didnt give him much game time but it was enough for him to make a positive impact to the team especially in 2003, where he saved us from being eliminated in the semi finals by playing a vital role on Essendon's James Hird.
I know I shouldnt be saying this, but it was very unlucky for him to miss out on a spot in the grand final although he was very close at times to get the call up, but at least it made it all up by winning two premierships with Centrals.
Sorry Stuey I know I should be putting some faith in you but I think it is best for him to stay in Centrals and win a few more premierships than having to put a lot of pressure on himself to play as many AFL games just to make a name for himself, when his father, Richard and his younger brother, Richie already has a huge name for Centrals. Although he is 27, he can still last a few more years and hopefully play at least more than 100 games.
I think fate has chosen for him not to play AFL cause it took him seven years to make it too the 100th game mark. And so far, in these last two years at Centrals he has played every game every time he has been omitted from the Port Adelaide side.
Best of luck Stuey! You deserve to be a Centrals legend although it is in your blood to hate Port Adelaide but Im proud of you to stand up to every Centrals player and put faith in yourself, it isnt too bad to play for Port Adelaide where you have made so many friends who have Port Adelaide in their blood. You have been a great role model for so many players who play for Centrals or other SANFL clubs and they have struggled through times where they are very unsure about their decisions whether they want to stay at Port Adelaide because of their location traditions or family reasons.
Thank you for your services at the club and Im surely although you were not popular with the supporters, they will sorely miss you as I will and Im surely the Port Adelaide Football Club will welcome you back any time.
P.S. Good luck to you and Rachelle on January 27th with your first child, hopefully you can have a son so he can one day play with us.

I reckon I've always been willing to give Cochrane his due when he has managed to push his C grade abilities to a B+ level. I certainly didn't sledge him week after week as some here unfairly did. I'd hoped that he'd be able to play well often enough to be a first 22 player this year. But it didn't happen and now it is unargueable that he is standing in the way of other players.
I think it is worth mentioning his value as a popular part of the club's social fabric. In teams where valued players just decide to up and leave, the role of the popular team-mate who eases tensions and contributes to the social side of things is probably underrated by the fans. It often struck me that where you got glimpses of the social side of the players Stuey Cochrane was always there, and spoken of warmly. Fishing, playing golf, whatever.

I didn't sledge at Cochrane, I sledged with Cochrane.

Its not his fault that he's not good enough, it was our selectors fault for selecting him.

Is Gilham eligible to be rookie listed if no one picks him up?

To paraphrase Richard Nixon. "You won't have Cochrane to kick around anymore". :) I guess we will now have to find a new name for the Stuey Cochrane Medal. :D

Count Zero said:
To paraphrase Richard Nixon. "You won't have Cochrane to kick around anymore". :) I guess we will now have to find a new name for the Stuey Cochrane Medal. :D
No it will honour his memory! Don't forget he could be picked up by us in the PSD if he nominates. It could be just the shot in the arm his career needs. Worked for Adam Kingsley.

JeNnO_powerfreak_21 said:
Yes, He is the right age and everything, Can't see why not.

Because Chocko has said that he wont get a game at Port next year.

I imagine that means he knows his chances are limited so he wont want to stay ... and given Chockos comments, the club wont want to keep him.

but he could be rookie listed elsewhere.

Remove this Banner Ad

Cochrane shown the door

Remove this Banner Ad

Back