This Is On The Board

Remove this Banner Ad

David Koch — who has no idea about footy and has previously said things pertaining to the club and its historical performance that are flat-out untrue — handpicks a bunch of climbers from the business world (including a glorified influencer who barracks for West Coast), and the onfield direction is a habitual mess.

My shock.

I can't wait to see how they orchestrate Ransom's exit. what are they going to pretend she's done in almost a decade?

Sorry edited after you replied.

I honestly think it is going to take a significant campaign just to get those that matter to realise that it matters to us.

Look how long we have rallied against Ken without any change.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

It will require a significant campaign, my personal opinion is it'll take between 1 and 2 years of lobbying - but the most pressing, pertinent issue is getting the footy department set up for success with a new senior coach for 2025.

The average supporter is a simpleton who can only focus on a single thing at once about the Club. No one would be able to garner up the requisite support to go to members model whilst the future of Hinkley clouds the entire being of the Club.

It will require a significant campaign, my personal opinion is it'll take between 1 and 2 years of lobbying - but the most pressing, pertinent issue is getting the footy department set up for success with a new senior coach for 2025.

The average supporter is a simpleton who can only focus on a single thing at once about the Club. No one would be able to garner up the requisite support to go to members model whilst the future of Hinkley clouds the entire being of the Club.
So your saying we can move on to the board changes next week?

So your saying we can move on to the board changes next week?

I'm saying that this off season should be spent on putting together the best footy department possible for the new coach to succeed.

And once that is in place, then the member elected stuff can come into focus more.

Doing it too early will lead to supporter burn out, they will get apathetic given it is 4 years away.

Agreed. This board have wasted the last 7 years of our club, a few of which we should have been in the shot for a gf berth had we not had an under tactioner coach. This is on them and our absent ceo

Because we need to be ready when the time comes and so far those on the board don't even think it needs to change, let alone preparing to actually change it.

And until some accountability is brought back to the club I have no confidence that a change in coach will ultimately matter.

We need some sort of institutionalization. It needs to be organized and have a name and a face. It must have documents, written specific mission and goals, etc.

Otherwise, it’s easy to just pretend it’s all “white noise”.

I'm saying that this off season should be spent on putting together the best footy department possible for the new coach to succeed.

And once that is in place, then the member elected stuff can come into focus more.

Doing it too early will lead to supporter burn out, they will get apathetic given it is 4 years away.
Are Port in the position to put together the best footy department though?

What does this actually look like and how it compares to Geelong, Hawthorn, Sydney, Collingwood, GWS & Brisbane who have been there abouts the last 20 years.
I think Geelongnis the best case study for us.
GWS benefit draft picks
Sydney benefit academy
Hawks been in wilderness but they optimise their chances when provided
Brisbane have been a basket case longer than us,

Ultimately, I suspect is player development and recruiting that Geelong excel at.

Recruiting, most likely based on a clear vision from an articulate coach around game plan, allowing players to be drafted to fill voids in list management based on game plan.

However, once they draft, they excel at developing players into that game plan.

Don’t kid ourselves, like Kenny, I suspect Scott was close to the axe for repeat finals failures over 10 years and the fans were getting tired. His 2022 premiership raised his reputation 10 fold.

I think Geelongnis the best case study for us.
GWS benefit draft picks
Sydney benefit academy
Hawks been in wilderness but they optimise their chances when provided
Brisbane have been a basket case longer than us,

Ultimately, I suspect is player development and recruiting that Geelong excel at.

Recruiting, most likely based on a clear vision from an articulate coach around game plan, allowing players to be drafted to fill voids in list management based on game plan.

However, once they draft, they excel at developing players into that game plan.

Don’t kid ourselves, like Kenny, I suspect Scott was close to the axe for repeat finals failures over 10 years and the fans were getting tired. His 2022 premiership raised his reputation 10 fold.
Geelong seem to have a huge advantage of being the team most people follow from country Victoria west of Melbourne.

They are great at recruiting, great at getting the right players for their team, have a great gameplan, great coach, good home ground advantage but close enough to Melbourne.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong seem to have a huge advantage of being the team most people follow from country Victoria west of Melbourne.

They are great at recruiting, great at getting the right players for their team, have a great gameplan, great coach, good home ground advantage but close enough to Melbourne.
Listening to Chris Scott they have a fully fledged development program headed by Nigel Laplin. I’d love to know the structure of this and who are their development coaches. Chris said he didn’t get involved much it’s Nigel’s things but that’s where modern footy is now, development and recruiting.

Our recruiting is good, I’m not convinced on our development. I’m off now, have to research more on my phone in the car.

I can't wait to see how they orchestrate Ransom's exit. what are they going to pretend she's done in almost a decade?
At the time they thought she was destined to be the next 'hot thing' and they'd get some kudo's by association. She's obviously not male, but she's certainly now moving close to that pale and stale part of that trite phrase, being 35 next year if still around and she hasn't become the 'next big thing'. I didn't have a problem with her appointment at the time, it was giving a different viewpoint, but any 'disruption' is long since done and she doesn't add anything else. Of course Koch and Cardone are much more important to get rid of though.

Listening to Chris Scott they have a fully fledged development program headed by Nigel Laplin. I’d love to know the structure of this and who are their development coaches. Chris said he didn’t get involved much it’s Nigel’s things but that’s where modern footy is now, development and recruiting.

Our recruiting is good, I’m not convinced on our development. I’m off now, have to research more on my phone in the car.
100%.

Start by getting Teague and Rahilly (sic) in as assistants.

We have Matthew Lobbe as Head of Development. Nuff said.

Might be worthwhile comparing us to Richmond and what they did before and during their 17 flag.

Richmond Membership
2015 EF loss
(
Increase
4,687 /
Increase
7.09%)

2016 Missed finals
(
Increase
1,469 /
Increase
2.07%)

2017 Flag
(
Increase
391 /
Increase
0.54%)

2018 PF loss
(
Increase
28,057 /
Increase
38.61%)

Port Membership
2022 Missed finals
(
Increase
2,111 /
Increase
3.7%)

2023 Lost SF
(
Increase
5,398 /
Increase
9.2%)

2024 TBD
(
Increase
7,136 /
Increase
11.1%)

A flag seems to produce the biggest spike for membership numbers. The ~13k increase for us this year seems questionable. Obviously there are differences in the casual memberships offered and counted from 5-6 years ago. It appears our club has used this to their advantage to look stronger on paper.

The window between 2016-2017 in terms of trades seems where the biggest gains for Richmond occurred.

List
Conca/Chaplin retired
Nankervis/Caddy/Prestia traded in
Deledio traded out
Drafted Graham/Bolton

Richmond coaching squad
Senior coach Hardwick appointed in 7th season
Leppitsch joined as forwards coach
Caracella joined as midfield coach
McRae joined as forwards coach from a VFL pathway

Takeaway is Richmond underwent quite a drastic coaching department shuffle, brought in people to resolve weaknesses.

From 2023 to 2024 for Port

Port coaching squad
Senior coach Hinkley appointed in 12th season
Goldsack appointed to defensive coach from the SANFL
That's it.

Takeaway is that they backed in the same coaching group from 2023 pretty bullish they were ready for a flag tilt. So someone has evaluated the list and felt the 'missing puzzle pieces' were some mature age recruits in the ruck and defence.

It's a lot of faith to put in Goldsack as a first year defensive coach to work with a revamped backline, but it seems somewhat successful.

List
Jonas retired
BZT/Ratagolea/Soldo/Sweet in
Bonner/Dumont delisted
Used up all our draft capital and only Logan Evans is a new face from the mid season rookie draft

Richmond ladder position in 2017 finished 3rd with 15-7 record 118.3%
Finals W1 in 2017
Win vs Geelong by 51 points at the MCG

Port ladder position in 2024 finished 2nd with 16-7 record 114.8%
Loss vs Geelong by 84 points at the AO

CEO
Brendon Gale joined the Tigers in 2009 and in 2010 predicted the 3-0-75 target: 3 flags, 0 debt and 75k members by 2014.

He was slightly off with his predictions, but still delivered it all by 2020.
The Tigers were at ground zero in terms of list when he announced it.

Matt Richardson
At the start of 2021 announced the 'Chasing Greatness' campaign including a target of 100k members 3 flags and to be debt free amongst other things by 2025.

Seems like Richmond analysed and fixed their deficiencies with one resolute off-season. They were always flakey during their 2013-2015 finals, but they tried to fix something once and nailed it.

Unlike at Port we keep the same coaching group with a key figurehead but place all the faith in recruiting to plug holes. We have next to zero faith in developing key forwards, only home grown talent we nurture is our midfield.

It's a failure for Port clearly, we've tried to put the pieces in place to emulate success in a superficial sense. Focusing on weak metrics which are easy to improve like board/coaching stability, memberships and community engagement.

Might be worthwhile comparing us to Richmond and what they did before and during their 17 flag.

Richmond Membership
2015 EF loss
(
Increase
4,687 /
Increase
7.09%)

2016 Missed finals
(
Increase
1,469 /
Increase
2.07%)

2017 Flag
(
Increase
391 /
Increase
0.54%)

2018 PF loss
(
Increase
28,057 /
Increase
38.61%)

Port Membership
2022 Missed finals
(
Increase
2,111 /
Increase
3.7%)

2023 Lost SF
(
Increase
5,398 /
Increase
9.2%)

2024 TBD
(
Increase
7,136 /
Increase
11.1%)

A flag seems to produce the biggest spike for membership numbers. The ~13k increase for us this year seems questionable. Obviously there are differences in the casual memberships offered and counted from 5-6 years ago. It appears our club has used this to their advantage to look stronger on paper.

The window between 2016-2017 in terms of trades seems where the biggest gains for Richmond occurred.

List
Conca/Chaplin retired
Nankervis/Caddy/Prestia traded in
Deledio traded out
Drafted Graham/Bolton

Richmond coaching squad
Senior coach Hardwick appointed in 7th season
Leppitsch joined as forwards coach
Caracella joined as midfield coach
McRae joined as forwards coach from a VFL pathway

Takeaway is Richmond underwent quite a drastic coaching department shuffle, brought in people to resolve weaknesses.

From 2023 to 2024 for Port

Port coaching squad
Senior coach Hinkley appointed in 12th season
Goldsack appointed to defensive coach from the SANFL
That's it.

Takeaway is that they backed in the same coaching group from 2023 pretty bullish they were ready for a flag tilt. So someone has evaluated the list and felt the 'missing puzzle pieces' were some mature age recruits in the ruck and defence.

It's a lot of faith to put in Goldsack as a first year defensive coach to work with a revamped backline, but it seems somewhat successful.

List
Jonas retired
BZT/Ratagolea/Soldo/Sweet in
Bonner/Dumont delisted
Used up all our draft capital and only Logan Evans is a new face from the mid season rookie draft

Richmond ladder position in 2017 finished 3rd with 15-7 record 118.3%
Finals W1 in 2017
Win vs Geelong by 51 points at the MCG

Port ladder position in 2024 finished 2nd with 16-7 record 114.8%
Loss vs Geelong by 84 points at the AO

CEO
Brendon Gale joined the Tigers in 2009 and in 2010 predicted the 3-0-75 target: 3 flags, 0 debt and 75k members by 2014.

He was slightly off with his predictions, but still delivered it all by 2020.
The Tigers were at ground zero in terms of list when he announced it.

Matt Richardson
At the start of 2021 announced the 'Chasing Greatness' campaign including a target of 100k members 3 flags and to be debt free amongst other things by 2025.

Seems like Richmond analysed and fixed their deficiencies with one resolute off-season. They were always flakey during their 2013-2015 finals, but they tried to fix something once and nailed it.

Unlike at Port we keep the same coaching group with a key figurehead but place all the faith in recruiting to plug holes. We have next to zero faith in developing key forwards, only home grown talent we nurture is our midfield.

It's a failure for Port clearly, we've tried to put the pieces in place to emulate success in a superficial sense. Focusing on weak metrics which are easy to improve like board/coaching stability, memberships and community engagement.
Good post.

Agree 100% regarding your scepticism around our ability to develop players. I believe also that it is not good enough and imo gets back to not spending the coin. If we are serious about being successful we ned to invest in good coaches.

Obviously there are differences in the casual memberships offered and counted from 5-6 years ago. It appears our club has used this to their advantage to look stronger on paper.

This has happened across the league. There should be a way to account for it (like “adjust for inflation” in economics). I just don’t know how.

Remove this Banner Ad

This Is On The Board

Remove this Banner Ad

Back