Cocktail party reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Does anyone remember when they used to hold them at the Melbourne Town Hall (before they moved to the Crown).

The placed was packed!

Harris 10 said:
Why would the club stop the event when they make some good money out of it?

Also what was the go with Jon Hay?

Well he did three things that set him apart from the other players.

1) He seemed very reluctant to mingle - even with his teammates!
2) He was the only player not wearing the official jacket (just a shirt & tie)
3) He was drinking alcohol. Saw him there with a red wine towards the end.

Overall, I think the cocktail night has steadily slipped year by years ever since the last year at Crown. The auctions are boring for those like me who can neither afford or care for the stuff on offer. They constant noise from the auctioneer is just irritating. Duffman and JYD hardly spoke and when they did no really interesting questions were asked. The food has become quite poor. What was with those horrible potato things?? And the queue for the beer was too long. I enjoy mixing with other Roo fans and seeing the players up close - Josh Gibson seemed to be the life of the party! I like the idea of the club putting something on for the supporters but the cocktail party needs a bit of an overhaul.

It's all very disturbing.

Was Laids disguised as anything when he was standing alone in the corner for most of the night or did he just shoo people away with a fierce look?

What's this about a "beer queue"?? Is it just another way of slowing down the consumption and cutting down on waiter costs?

Sounds like it would be better to scrap the concept. A bad function would do more harm to the Club than no function.

Mr Reliable said:
It's all very disturbing.

Was Laids disguised as anything when he was standing alone in the corner for most of the night or did he just shoo people away with a fierce look?

What's this about a "beer queue"?? Is it just another way of slowing down the consumption and cutting down on waiter costs?

Sounds like it would be better to scrap the concept. A bad function would do more harm to the Club than no function.
Yep.

Marstermind said:
3) He was drinking alcohol. Saw him there with a red wine towards the end.

When you read posts such as this, is it any wonder the club may have a dim view of this forum? Although I guess you must find shooting yourself in the foot very exciting :)

CR7 said:
When you read posts such as this, is it any wonder the club may have a dim view of this forum? Although I guess you must find shooting yourself in the foot very exciting :)
Yeah thanks for your input there Dean.

CR7 said:

Just a statement of fact. All the other players were drinking lemonade and Jonno was drinking red wine. I have no idea whatsoever whether the players are told not to drink at these sort of things and I doubt a lot whether a glass of red on Tuesday would affect what a player does on Sunday. He was by no means off his chops or anything. But I said he did 3 things that no one else did, and that just happened to be one. I'm not passing any judgements.

My North said:
No. Not many of the players or Dean want to be there, You could see in there body reaction. They were thinking look at all theses nuffs nuffs here who I really dont give a crap about. :eek:

No offence intended but I think your post is ridiculous. Were you actually at the cocktail party? How do you know not many of the players don't want to be there????? Did they all take you aside and share that with you? To say that you could see it in their 'body reaction' (I think you mean body language) is ridiculous. And apparently you can read minds because you knew that the players were thinking 'Look at these nuff nuffs...'. :rolleyes:

I was there and I could not speak highly enough of the players. I approached many of them for autographs for some kids I know and every player was very happy to oblige. Nearly everyone of them greeted me in some way with a smile and a 'How are you?' Drew Petrie and Brady Rawlings, in particular, were very chatty and I spent some time talking to both of them. I also found the younger guys like Riggio, Mc Connell, Lower and Swallow to be extremely professional and friendly. Top marks to all the players for your contribution on the night. Maybe it's not high on their list of fun ways to spend a night but, IMO, you sure couldn't tell that from their body language or anything they said or did. They were great. BTW, I also got Dean's autograph without any problems.

My only slight complaint about the night was that I thought there could have been a bit more substance (and length) to Graeme Duff and Dean Laidley's chats to the supporters. A prepared speech by both of them would have been better than the couple of questions they answered from the MC.

Zondor said:
Wonder what the Mods thought of the Cocktail Party?
Didn't go mate, but from what I've read in the past few days, it appears that not many BF posters got the hard ball last night.:)

Dingster said:
Didn't go mate, but from what I've read in the past few days, it appears that not many BF posters got the hard ball last night.:)
There is no doubting you Dingster. Glad you're on the hard ball there mate.;)

GoNorth said:
No offence intended but I think your post is ridiculous. Were you actually at the cocktail party? How do you know not many of the players don't want to be there????? Did they all take you aside and share that with you? To say that you could see it in their 'body reaction' (I think you mean body language) is ridiculous. And apparently you can read minds because you knew that the players were thinking 'Look at these nuff nuffs...'. :rolleyes:

I was there and I could not speak highly enough of the players. I approached many of them for autographs for some kids I know and every player was very happy to oblige. Nearly everyone of them greeted me in some way with a smile and a 'How are you?' Drew Petrie and Brady Rawlings, in particular, were very chatty and I spent some time talking to both of them. I also found the younger guys like Riggio, Mc Connell, Lower and Swallow to be extremely professional and friendly. Top marks to all the players for your contribution on the night. Maybe it's not high on their list of fun ways to spend a night but, IMO, you sure couldn't tell that from their body language or anything they said or did. They were great. BTW, I also got Dean's autograph without any problems.

My only slight complaint about the night was that I thought there could have been a bit more substance (and length) to Graeme Duff and Dean Laidley's chats to the supporters. A prepared speech by both of them would have been better than the couple of questions they answered from the MC.

Totally agree GN

How some one is able to read everyone elses body language is amazing.

There may not have been as many people as some previous years, but the advantage to that is you can spend more time speaking with the players and coach. All were available and cheerfull through out the night. I certainly wasn't made to feel like one of the so called nuff nuffs.
The only negative for mine was they didn't have drink waiters at the door which caused a delay at the bar

It's a sad fact that most of the posters on this board now are just plain sooks.

Nobody likes it when their team looses, but in all my years following the roos I've never heard as much crap as what's dribbling through these posts.
My only reasoning, is that perhaps the ones responsible are young, and have never been in this position before.

Like our team, the older members need to educate the young bucks to replace us when we're gone. So settle down and remember it's the bad times that make the good times so much better.
Ask any roo supporter that watched a new exciting young team emerge in the early ninties.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GoNorth said:

Alan Pease Board.

Redd said:
Totally agree GN

How some one is able to read everyone elses body language is amazing.

There may not have been as many people as some previous years, but the advantage to that is you can spend more time speaking with the players and coach. All were available and cheerfull through out the night. I certainly wasn't made to feel like one of the so called nuff nuffs.
The only negative for mine was they didn't have drink waiters at the door which caused a delay at the bar

It's a sad fact that most of the posters on this board now are just plain sooks.

Nobody likes it when their team looses, but in all my years following the roos I've never heard as much crap as what's dribbling through these posts.
My only reasoning, is that perhaps the ones responsible are young, and have never been in this position before.

Like our team, the older members need to educate the young bucks to replace us when we're gone. So settle down and remember it's the bad times that make the good times so much better.
Ask any roo supporter that watched a new exciting young team emerge in the early ninties.

musashi gold post redd,

1993 to 2000 with finals appearances and the best team going around has spoilt many who have grown up with successful roos teams.

imagine the supporters who waited from 1925 to 1975 for the first taste of grand final success, then 4 flags and endless final campaigns from 1974-2000, hey we out did our selves last yr and made the finals. this year you are ready to shoot the messenger in jyd. we did not get get the nickname of shinboners for being fickle supporters or team,

have a look at the other 16 clubs and the date of their last grand final success, hey the saints havnt won one since i was born, but we constantly have to listen to how they are one of the best things going around, same for the cats.

i was lucky enough to be at the 75 grand final and the tears of joy from our supporters who had been waiting fifty years was one of the most emotional moments in thier lives and mine.

so for those who have had the good fortune of being at one of our flag wins treasure the moment, and most of all remember support your club through thick or thin. we are still around we are still in melbourne, and all you can do is start a thread on a positive event like the cocktail night and turn it into another whinge.

it will be interesting to see what is too be said about the grand final reunion,

thats my post like it or lump it, but remember as much as every other club says how innovatitive, or successful they have been over the last 30 odd years, we all know that NORTH MELBOURNE has led the way.

as for this post being on the topic before it is criticised thats its not, the night is to get out and meet the team, and to all the ones complaining remember that its suppossed to be a night where you get to meet the team, and talk to fellow supporters,

Ok I have read through the 5 pages of good and bad and here is my take on it.
I have been told in previous years when I queried why the cocktail party was moved from Crown was because of playing the games at Telstra we also had to hold at least one function there as part of the agreement with them.
I think the function was better at Crown - better venue, better food, better drinks, better sound.
I thought the players were all very upbeat except for J Hay who I also thought looked like it was the last place he wanted to be. There was never a problem wanting photos they were all very obliging
Couldn't hear Dean or Graham but didnt really expect that there would be a lot said considering where we are at.
A Girlfriend and I had a bit of a chat to Donald McDonald and he asked us to keep the faith, stick with them and we will see a turn around - did say that it could be as soon as this week. Told myself and my girlfriend by this time next year J Hay will be a great full back in Kangas colors and said we could meet him same place same time next year and discuss it with him.
He also stated that the Kangas had suffered a huge loss with the retirement of Leigh Colbert
He also said that Adam Simpson was aware that his skills werent great but Donald said he is the best captain going around and his best position is as a tagger.
As usual Glenn Archer was his obliging self and nothing ever seems too much trouble for him - will be a very sad day when he gives it away.
I hope we can give him a better send off than we gave Stevo and Colby.
Love the night for being able to get close to the players but I really think the venue needs to be looked at - standing out in the cold while everyone was trying to get in ONE door leaves a little to be desired too.
This years more than any other I have been to was disappointing in comparision.

mighty mick said:
the night is to get out and meet the team, and to all the ones complaining remember that its suppossed to be a night where you get to meet the team, and talk to fellow supporters, not an all out drinking binge at the clubs expense so you can go home :D:D:D:Ded as a newt. no wonder the night has degenerated over the yrs as the word spreads on the grapevine about the booze. what an impression you must all must make to the players now, when the whole idea of the night originally was to meet the players have a few drinks and maybe raise some cash at the same time.

Mick, I agree with your post except for the bit above. If you wanted a drinking binge the cocktail party has never been the place to be. It is only 2 hours and drinks have usually been a bit hard to come by, last night it was just that bit harder. Two hours goes very quickly if you are moving around, talking to supporters, players etc., so it is hardly a binge.

On another note I did not see the problem with the venue, it was certainly more upmarket than the Victory Room where we have had it before. It also only had one door to get in and you had to line up outside.

sross said:
Mick, I agree with your post except for the bit above. If you wanted a drinking binge the cocktail party has never been the place to be. It is only 2 hours and drinks have usually been a bit hard to come by, last night it was just that bit harder. Two hours goes very quickly if you are moving around, talking to supporters, players etc., so it is hardly a binge.

On another note I did not see the problem with the venue, it was certainly more upmarket than the Victory Room where we have had it before.

fair enuff mate ill edit it out for you;)

GoNorth said:

Yes I was at the cocktail party, It was my impression that the players did not want to be there and get annoyed by the members, and get ask the same question 100 times, and be blinded from all the camera flashes

I went to a cocktail night when it was at Crown. Not my cup of tea, but that doesn't mean it everyone has to think the same. I can see why people enjoy it with the opportunity to mingle with the players. I still buy the same level of memberships & about the only extra benefit for the extra $$$ is the cocktail party.

Just remember....
You can please all of the people some of the time, you can please some of the people all the time, but you cannot please all of the people all of the time'.

Star said:
For those with negative views of the night, how much is influenced by the on-field performances so far this year?
I judged the Cocktail Party based on my experience on the night. This has nothing to do with how the team has performed thus far this year.

TwoVBs&ABowlofNuts said:
I can't help but think that you're the one who's been on the sauce.

interesting to see you pull your troll name out of the archives, since you have returned to the board shows your true colors hiding behind a nick that describes only too well what you where expecting from the night, as for me im a tee totaler, im more into medicinal drugs

Remove this Banner Ad

Cocktail party reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Back