Cold Chisel 30-1

Remove this Banner Ad

5. Cheap Wine - East - 1980

For a long time this was my favourite Cold Chisel song, I loved it as a kid although I could never sing the chorus right I remember asking my old man what the actual lyrics where and then I answered with "What's a 3 day growth?" Haha It may not be my favourite song but I still love it and its just so easy going and something to relax to but I also love how its also rather energetic at the same time and that's because of Barnsey and Moss's little guitar parts during the song. For me this song has their best ever chorus its just so catchy and upbeat I really do love everything about this song.

I really like some of their more "rockier" stuff which will become more evident as the countdown goes.
in that case i expect to see Goodbye (Astrid Goodbye) at #1. no excuses.
but then what do i know. my favourite Cold Chisel song isnt even a Cold Chisel song and it certainly isnt one of the rockier ones.

so much good music though. i can see lots of people having wildly different top 30 lists and it would be hard to argue against any of it.

4. Goodbye (Astrid Goodbye) - Breakfast at Sweethearts - 1979

How good is that opening riff! This might just be Cold Chisels rockiest song and I love it for that. Its short, sharp and the chorus is catchy as all hell. Best to play at a family party it will always get everyone nodding along and singing the chorus. This song was made to be a show finisher, to end their shows with a "Blazing showstopper" and yes it very much fits the bill for me, whether its starting or ending a set this is sure to get you rocking out. Also the song uses the "12 bar blues" influence and gives it a punkier feel. Don't think a single Cold Chisel fan could dislike this song its just so good.

4. Goodbye (Astrid Goodbye) - Breakfast at Sweethearts - 1979

How good is that opening riff! This might just be Cold Chisels rockiest song and I love it for that. Its short, sharp and the chorus is catchy as all hell. Best to play at a family party it will always get everyone nodding along and singing the chorus. This song was made to be a show finisher, to end their shows with a "Blazing showstopper" and yes it very much fits the bill for me, whether its starting or ending a set this is sure to get you rocking out. Also the song uses the "12 bar blues" influence and gives it a punkier feel. Don't think a single Cold Chisel fan could dislike this song its just so good.

man that version sounds so hollow and way too slick for my liking.

here it is in all its low down and dirty glory

15. Temptation - Twentieth Century - 1984
So good. Could be anywhere from 15 to 40 with myself depending on mood at the time.

13. No Sense - Twentieth Century - 1984

Love the 1980's home video feel of this and is that Jimmy's young wife in the video ?

So many good tracks lost from that album because it was after they broke up that people heard them ?

3. Letter To Alan - Circus Animals - 1982

This song doesn't nearly get as much love as it should. That haunting opening that kicks into a kickass journey that most Cold Chisel songs seem to do but not many as good as this one. Ian Moss just kills it on this one, he really shows his best. The song is about a former member of their road crew who died in a truck accident. What they deliver here is an epic song that brilliantly ends the circus Animals album. The song just shines in every aspect it does every part of what Cold Chisel is about and does it superbly. Its heartfelt, heavy and just pure epicness.

Last edited:
2. Standing On The Outside - East - 1980

Another one of those Cold Chisel songs that just drives forward and doesn't stop. This is just a straight up banging rock tune I love the guitars and Barnesys vocals on this one. I great song to sing along to or just tap your feet and enjoy the ride. There isn't anything complex about this song it just does everything it needs to to make a memorable rock song that I will always love.

29 Cold Chisel songs and not one of them is Bow River.

what will number 1 be?
...the anticipation is killing me

Got no idea what will be his number one as I never would have guessed that at 2.
Personally Bow River or it would be unlikely to be in my top 20 but I do like these ones too. I like well over 50 of their tunes so hard to fit them all in.

29 Cold Chisel songs and not one of them is Bow River.

what will number 1 be?
...the anticipation is killing me

ha ha.

Just realised I posted this a few weeks back.
If Taipan or Merry Go Round not in here somewhere you are a fraud like Lingy. ;)

Merry Go Round and Home and Broken Hearted not in top 30 would floor me.
Has to be one of them or your fav Bow River.

Not tipping our friend will pick one of more recent tunes like No Plans, Summer Moon or HQ454 Monroe.

The odds of number 1 for a bit of fun.

Bow River 1-2 on
Home and Broken Hearted 3 to 1
Merry Go Round 15 to 1
Taipan 25 to 1
Summer Moon 40-1
HQ454 Monroe 50-1
No Plans 50-1
All Hell Broke Lucy 100 to 1
Dead and Laid to Rest 150 to 1
All for You 200 to 1
Choir Girl 250 to 1
F111 250 to 1
Ita 300 to 1
The Perfect Crime 300 to 1
Lost 300 to 1
Four Walls 400 to 1
Four in the Morning 400 to 1
Never Before 500 to 1
Water into Wine 600 to 1
I'm Gonna Roll Ya 600 to 1
I Got Things to Do 700 to 1
Numbers Fall 700 to 1

The odds of number 1 for a bit of fun.

Bow River 1-2 on
Home and Broken Hearted 3 to 1
Merry Go Round 15 to 1
Taipan 25 to 1
Summer Moon 40-1
HQ454 Monroe 50-1
No Plans 50-1
All Hell Broke Lucy 100 to 1
Dead and Laid to Rest 150 to 1
All for You 200 to 1
Choir Girl 250 to 1
F111 250 to 1
Ita 300 to 1
The Perfect Crime 300 to 1
Lost 300 to 1
Four Walls 400 to 1
Four in the Morning 400 to 1
Never Before 500 to 1
Water into Wine 600 to 1
I'm Gonna Roll Ya 600 to 1
I Got Things to Do 700 to 1
Numbers Fall 700 to 1
haha
nice post.
i've got to be honest, i had to youtube a lot of those songs. i never even knew they'd released 2 more studio albums in the last couple of years.

Bow River is too short to bother with but it might be worth having a sneaky fiver on Ita at those odds...with this list you never know.
then again its just as likely to be Shipping Steel or some other completely random song.
my favourite is still not listed so perhaps its #1 but you'd probably get better odds than 700 to 1

if nothing else this thread has inspired me to re-read Don Walkers Shots (i dont think i was in the right frame of mind the first time) and re-introduced to some classic Aussie music that i'd almost forgotten about.

thanks D_P_S :thumbsu:

EDIT: just checked and Shipping Steel is already in at 26
...perhaps No Sense would be more appropriate ;)

EDIT 2: No Sense also listed already. i've really got to pay more attention. anyway, i'll stop now and wait patiently for #1

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

5. Cheap Wine - East - 1980

For a long time this was my favourite Cold Chisel song, I loved it as a kid although I could never sing the chorus right I remember asking my old man what the actual lyrics where and then I answered with "What's a 3 day growth?" Haha It may not be my favourite song but I still love it and its just so easy going and something to relax to but I also love how its also rather energetic at the same time and that's because of Barnsey and Moss's little guitar parts during the song. For me this song has their best ever chorus its just so catchy and upbeat I really do love everything about this song.

Your auditory is superior to my sis, she was adamant that it was 'three day go', which is more mind boggling than a 3 day growth.

Love the song for the memories.

1. Bow River - Circus Animals - 1982

The obvious selection and for good reason this song is an absolute classic and the number 1 song to listen to when camping. Bow river starts so well with that piano and Mossy's soft vocals before the whole band joins in and who can forget the harmonica which takes centre stage for most of this song. The mix of Barnesy and Moss in this song is excellent with both bringing their absolute best and feeding off eachother. The band kills it as a whole with the song building up nicely, the chorus kicks ass and the Jam out after it is so damn good then Barnesy kicks in and the song just soars from there and gives me shivers everytime. The end is perfect and this is one of if not the best song made by an Australian Band.

Good effort to see what your favourite 30 were.

I know for myself I have certain songs more in mood to hear depending on how long ago since heard them last time. At any one point in time any song of 40 could be my favourite.

1. Bow River - Circus Animals - 1982

The obvious selection and for good reason this song is an absolute classic and the number 1 song to listen to when camping. Bow river starts so well with that piano and Mossy's soft vocals before the whole band joins in and who can forget the harmonica which takes centre stage for most of this song. The mix of Barnesy and Moss in this song is excellent with both bringing their absolute best and feeding off eachother. The band kills it as a whole with the song building up nicely, the chorus kicks ass and the Jam out after it is so damn good then Barnesy kicks in and the song just soars from there and gives me shivers everytime. The end is perfect and this is one of if not the best song made by an Australian Band.

couldnt agree more. Bow River is a perfectly crafted song.
...but it would probably sit at #2 on my list.

as i said previously my favourite Chisel song isnt even a Cold Chisel song. its a cover thats been done by a bucketload of artists, most notably Ray Charles and yet i think this is finest rendition of Georgia On My Mind that i've ever heard.
Ian and Don obviously enjoyed playing it and you can find quite a few different recordings floating around but i think on this night everything went 100% right.
from those soft lamenting keys to Moss' syrupy sweet voice and the understated yet extraordinarily powerful guitar the song just sends me to my happy place.

im not sure if its technically allowed cause it aint their song and its only really the two of them so if not then Bow River would be my #1 also.
the other 28 you can mix and match from their incredible library. like footyfan78 said it would really depend on my mood.

man that version sounds so hollow and way too slick for my liking.
here it is in all its low down and dirty glory

Yeah he's put up one of the worst versions i've seen. That one u put up is so much better and more like how they sounded.
Check this one from a pub down the road from here that they played regularly. My sister was a huge fan and dragged me along to this gig. This pub became a woolies and carpark maybe 20 yrs ago.
All the way till they broke up around 1983 this track was THE one the crowd wanted most. Everyone knew the opening verse and went mental. Sound isnt the best on it unfortunately.

Didnt even see Merry Go Round on the list. Ya kidding arnt you ? Another top 10 regular that everyone wanted played.

Last bit of vinyl of theirs i bought was a dbl single. This track had No Sense on the other side. Was just before they broke up i think. Bit of vision of early 80s Sydney.

Yeah, Merry Go Round and Forever Now certainly in my top 5 but I do not have a particular number one song I like most. Just like too many and have a different song I prefer at any one point depending on listening mood I'm in.
Lucky to see them live in Wangaratta a few years ago. Was awesome to finally see this band live in life. Something I never expected.

Flame Trees is a clear no.1 for me. It has a timeless quality that not too many songs achieve, IMO one of the best Aussie songs ever written. Bow River, When the war is Over and Khe Sanh are all right up there too. My one fav from left field would be Ita, love the Chisel sense of humour.

Another classic top ten.

this would be fairly high on my list too.
Don sat down with the specific intention of writing a hit single and thats exactly what he did. there's a fair few musical cliches in there but they all work so well and the song is incredible.

also, god damn Jimmy looks good in that clip (no homo)
...his vocal is awesome too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Cold Chisel 30-1

Remove this Banner Ad

Back