Coles Vs Woolworths/Safeway Which is the better supermarket?

Remove this Banner Ad

Amazing place. We live within a stones throw of a Safeway and a Coles and we make the little extra trek just to go to Leos. The place looks, feels and the food tastes better (except the roast chicken, gotta go Safeway for that one!)

Some more exotic foods there that you wouldnt find at Safeway/Coles too. I personally am not a huge fan of Coles. I dont know what it is about it, but it just seems really cheap. Not the prices i mean, just the quality and range of there products.

Interestingly enough anybody who lives around the greensborough area, in the plaza there is a BiLo and a Coles opposite each other on the bottom floor of the plaza. Coles has taken over BiLo stores so now there will be TWO coles right opposite each other. Absolutely ridiculous.

Coles and Bilo are/were the same company, but the difference was that they had different specials during the week, so you could get whatever cheaper from two different stores in the same week. Now you can't do that.

Ingle Farms' shopping centre has two supermarkets - both Coles.
TTP has two Coles now, and another across the road.
Port Adelaide has two Coles stores.

As I said though, I'd prefer Foodland.

Any SA person remember the Pasadena Foodland when it was called the "Big Crow"?

The fresh food people of course..

My son works for them. Manager of produce dept.

The freshest fruit and vege and by far the friendliest staff.

Prices are cheaper as well.[/quote]

Anybody else noticed the invasion of supermarket shelves with "home brand' and 'safeway' products? All bought in bulk and positioned very conveniently to give coles and safeway a considerable advantage over other branded products trying to sell in supermarkets. This allows us as consumers to purchase the "cheaper" product which in turn will see the demise of many brands trying to survive in the Australian marketplace. And as these struggling companies fail and terminate operations what do you think will happen to the price of our old "friends" safeway and coles very own products?
icon9.gif

The fresh food people of course..

My son works for them. Manager of produce dept.

The freshest fruit and vege and by far the friendliest staff.

Prices are cheaper as well.[/quote]

Anybody else noticed the invasion of supermarket shelves with "home brand' and 'safeway' products? All bought in bulk and positioned very conveniently to give coles and safeway a considerable advantage over other branded products trying to sell in supermarkets. This allows us as consumers to purchase the "cheaper" product which in turn will see the demise of many brands trying to survive in the Australian marketplace. And as these struggling companies fail and terminate operations what do you think will happen to the price of our old "friends" safeway and coles very own products?
icon9.gif

Who do you think makes the homebrand products?? The big brand companies.

Berri fruit juice produces our homebrand juice and many of our tinned fruit lines.

How do you think these "big brand" companies survive?? They relabel items with the homebrand label.

So basically what your saying is coles and safeway have made a nice little deal to ensure that new brands on the market are destined to fail. Would i be correct in saying that berri outsource their fruit supply to other developing countries to continue to increase profit margins?

So basically what your saying is coles and safeway have made a nice little deal to ensure that new brands on the market are destined to fail. Would i be correct in saying that berri outsource their fruit supply to other developing countries to continue to increase profit margins?

I we know is that when we lived in Berri, we used to head to the berri factory every couple of weeks to buy our juice and other products made by the company and you would be surprised seeing the "home brand" label on their goods.

They have never hidden the fact that they make goods that are then relabeled with the "homebrand label" for woolworths..

With Troy working for Woolworths and being a dept manager, you would be surprised what they are told.

Oh, and I have my discount card as well.

So the latest is that Coles are now up for sale.. looking at selling to an overseas company. Just another Aussie icon being owned and operated by foreign investors.

On the news Monday night they also said that prices will more than likely rise and that Woolworths are the cheapest supermarket out of the two.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Coles Vs Woolworths/Safeway Which is the better supermarket?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back