10k Posts
Aug 15, 2004
Bentleigh-esque
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richard Tambling
Very brief mind you. An over view of the 2004 draft:

This was a flaky draft, not unlike 2000 but with a greater number of identified quality players at the top end. I think there were a number of serious bargains and wouldn't be surprised if more good AFL players emerge

Will be TOP SHELF i.e. household names

DELEDIO, Brett (1) [Ric] Dynamic 6/2" onballer / utility. Great range of attributes. Exciting, versatile.
TAMBLING, Richard (4) [Ric] Vanilla-size excitement machine. !

I rate Griffen and Junior Smith as complete packages, although Deledio and Tambling are almost complete. There was no “complete package” gimme last year. At this stage at least, Griffen's kicking is more reliable than Deledio or Tambling but I rate my top 4 in virtually the same bracket. I believe all are capable of reaching genuinely top-bracket status in the AFL.

(Order: Griffen, Deledio, Smith, Tambling, Thomson, Roughead, Franklin, Wood)

VERY SKINNY BUT genuine AFL potential .... if (!) they can bulk up sufficiently

LIMBACH, Dean (52) [Ric] Versatile marking tall. Shown great promise but only in cameo. Officially has a 6cm reach disadvantage but, if he wasn't so damn skinny or I could be sure he could bulk up enough, he'd definitely be in the group above.

EARLY PICK QUERIES – I wouldn’t be that surprised if they make it but I have concerns whereas many people would label them "definite" or nearly so:

POLO, Dean (20) [Ric] Fearless, 187cm determined goer who plays tallish. Skinny but he's someone who can probably get away with not being as bulky as other players. I greatly admire his style of play (aggressive at both man and ball) and he is clean but, although he is genuinely dual-sided, his kicking action and flailing running style really need a lot of work.

These caused me MUCH ANGST IN ASSESSING

PATTISON, Adam (16) [Ric] Rapidly-improving 198cm utility. At U18 level, I really admire Adam. My problem in assessing his AFL potential lies in determining a specific AFL role for him and I kept dropping him down in my rankings accordingly, settling at 42. Is he a jack of all trades etc? I'm not sure he has the class for CHF and he was starved of sufficient opportunities in the ruck at U18 level to get a confident handle on his AFL rucking potential. I suspect he will make AFL, I find heaps of attributes to like in him, but I wouldn't be altogether surprised one way or the other.

BARGAINS (Late picks i.e. >40, excluding F/S, who could belie their draft position)

LIMBACH, Dean

http://www.voy.com/51976/2983.html

Predictions for “U18” 2001 AFL draftees

"Definitely" succeed

*Rodan (33) Prince of silky smalls. Will be exciting and a cult figure

http://www.voy.com/51976/3456.html

Predictions for U18 2002 AFL draftees

UP AGAINST IT

SCHULTZ, Jay (12) [Rich] Versatile but frustrating 6’4” key. Touted on U16 form. Shows some leadership. Looks the part and his best is so classy that he is the most likely in this list to make me eat my words. Very young but his best is all too rare and he goes missing a lot.

http://www.voy.com/51976/3454.html

Predictions for “U18” 2003 AFL draftees

Will be AT LEAST GOOD

ROACH, Thomas (37 F/S) [Ric] 6’ dasher who takes them on. Strong overhead and clean. I tossed up whether to include him as he has to improve his kicking and his decision-making under pressure but his upside is promising.

JACKSON, Daniel (53) [Ric] Seriously athletic 6'1" late starter with great potential. Unlikely to start AFL career until ’05 due to school commitment. Bargain.

UP AGAINST IT

ARCHIBALD, Kyle (81) [Ric] 6’3” bottom-age forward / utility. Accountable. shows on-field leadership. tries but doesn't look at all AFL. Known as a leading forward but best role may even be in defence.

BARGAINS

JACKSON, Daniel (53) [Ric] See above. The bargain of the draft, along with Surjan. Definite AFL

ROOKIES WITH A FUTURE

FOLEY, Nathan (R 4) [Ric] 178cm quick, creative, courageous inside midfielder/HFF ball magnet. Needs to strengthen and will take time.

http://www.voy.com/51976/3452.html

This is his full report on Meyer

----------------------------------------------------------

The profile follows below but I first want to clarify one point.

I describe his pace as "OK". I know some people describe him as very quick but I'm not so sure. I have no problem with his pace over a distance. I also agree he has a rapid-pumping running action that often at least makes him look quick. Perhaps I am underrating his overall pace but I am not convinced about his speed off the mark. After the first 10m, fine, but its the first few metres I'm not convinced about. I probably should have split my verdict re his pace so it differentiated between the two categories.

I don't know his background but he gives me the impression of possibly having been a slowish early teenager who has recently worked hard on his technique and is now getting almost as much pace out of himself as his body lets him.
-------------------------------------
Danny Meyer (Glenelg)

183/70 mid-age right foot (dual-sided) HFF.

*STYLE LIKE: Tyson Edwards

*TRADEMARK:

- Screamer.

*SUMMARY ASSESSMENT, RECOMMENDATION:

- 6' marking forward worth early Rnd 2.

- He is not the complete package but is AFL IMHO and has a bit of "X factor". Plays very tall, kicks important goals and has a fair bit of development in him due to playing mainly school footy and trying to play tall but with a slim body size.

- Concentrating on school footy and often playing on a flank has meant he has displayed good form at that level without really being extended. This worries me a bit but I get the impression that, although reserved off-field, he enjoys rising to the occasion on a big stage and that encourages me to be optimistic for AFL level. I think he has more to offer than what he sometimes shows. The U18 Champs gave him a good guide as to where he currently sits, and what ground he needs to make up relative to his peers, when he found himself robbed of the freedom to perform his usual school party tricks.

- Currently lacks weight for the style of game he tries to play. Is slim and will improve a lot once he gains weight/strength.

- He sits at 18 in my rankings. In a typically stronger draft I would have him lower as he has a 5cm reach disadvantage and is somewhat unproven. I kept trying to drop him lower but, in the end, I could not find enough alternatives who had better credentials. Having said that, there are four other SA kids I would take ahead of him. I am rating him more on what I believe he will be capable of, rather than reading too much into his actual form to date. He just hasn't had the grounding that, say, the TAC kids have had.

I likened his style to Tyson Edwards but I think with time he might become the guy that you put your best stopper on. He has the potential to become very damaging - slippery, plays tall and kicks damaging goals.

Ready year 2.

*DISPOSAL:

- Generally a good set kick, especially for goal. I quite rate his kicking but not to the same extent that some others do. Overall he is a good, but not special, kick in general play. Hurt factor could be a bit better.

- Economical kicking action yet good power.

- Genuinely dual-sided.

- Good balance of kicks to feeds. Kicks are predominantly long. His accurate kicks hurt.

- Range seems to be just fractionally more than 50m but he gets the 45-50m consistently. Range is likely to improve once he adds weight and gets more power/strength in his legs and back.

- Dangerous around goals. Good goal sense - set, snap or on the run. Has shown he can kick a "must get" goal.

- Handball accuracy and hurt factor is a mixed bag under great pressure but he has quick hands.

*DECISION-MAKING, SMARTS:

- Generally makes the right decisions. Shows poise, has very good vision, looks for options and thinks quickly.
- Reads the play very well. Reads the ball well and roves the pack/spill well.
- Good traffic management.

*HANDS:

- Is reasonably clean below the knee without being especially reliable. He is arguably cleaner overhead than at ground level. Strangely, he seems to be cleaner off the ground under great pressure than he is when the pressure is a bit less. (Perhaps when he has time to think, he is inclined to spend it before he gets it?)

*OVERHEAD MARKING:

- Loves a mark. Strong overhead for his size. Plays very much taller than his 183cm and can take frequent one-grab screamers, include pack. Took one of the best grabs I saw all year, including AFL games.

- Reliable from the front or behind but is especially effective coming over the top. Good judgement, very good hands, and generally holds his ground OK one on one. Nevertheless, those who have seen him virtually unbeatable in the air at schools level did not see the same aerial dominance once he played at the hugely higher standard of U18 Champs. Only 2 contested marks in 3 games.

- Has a 5cm reach disadvantage compared to the average player of his height and that is logically a big disability for this type of game. It does concern me, of course. If it weren't for that, I'd be more confident about his prospects. However, many of his marks come through his enormous leap, often with arms not even needing to be fully extended. He can take a chest mark shoulder high. I place a lot of weight on reach advantage, especially in a marking player. In the end, the leap versus reach disadvantage equation gave me enough reassurance. The reach is a shame though.

- Any current difficulties seem mainly due to lack of weight/strength. Once he bulks up he is likely to be an outstanding mark for his size. He attacks his marks but can currently be buffeted off the line.

*ATHLETICISM:

- Gives me the impression of being in decent trim but very under-developed and with more potential athleticism than he has shown thus far.

- Biggest athletic attribute, by a mile, is his leap. Terrific, even from a standing start.

- Pace is OK but not special. Running action fair but could get more efficient drive from arms and he is sometimes inclined to be too bent (especially his head) in a short run. Has scope to improve but I can't see him ever being genuinely quick. Definitely has enough pace for AFL but the slippery ones will get away from him on occasions. Building up his quads will help.

- Excellent evasive ability.

- Normal agility is very good but recovery agility is a mixed bag.

- Needs to work a lot on his endurance.

- Is currently light but should finish up with a nice build. Has fairly good natural balance and keeps his feet well when tackled but currently gets pushed off the ball a fair bit when it comes down to a battle of bodies.

*INTENSITY, ETHIC:

- Varies in some areas but overall good.

- Good 2nd efforts.

- Attacks the man. Prolific tackler. Tackles often but not always effectively or with enough physical strength behind the tackle. It is especially in that context that his recovery agility and acceleration can sometimes be found out. i.e. when he charges at a player and the tackle doesn't initially stick. He is likely to be a very effective tackler once he gains strength.

- Runs on.

*CONSISTENCY:

- Fairly consistent game by game and has consistent stats quarter by quarter but plays a bit in bursts. Will get 3 possessions in 3 minutes but maybe none for the next 15.

*AFL VERSATILITY:

- Is ideally suited to HFF or FP. Hasn't shown much inside midfield yet (and he doesn't appear to be "first dibs") but might be a chance, especially an outside role. I doubt he is suited to a defensive role.

*SCI (SCOPE FOR CONTINUOUS IMPROVEMENT):

- Has given most of his peers a head start, development-wise, by concentrating on school footy so is behind them in terms of learning curve, physical development and experience gained from playing under pressure.

*QUERY:

- Accountability to his own opponent. (No big deal, it's just that I don't have a handle on it)
- Versatility (maybe)?

*SOME STATS:

- Stats summary '04 U18 Champs:
Averaged 13 disposals and 3.3 marks in his 3 games. (Best TD 16).
Kicks to feeds: 23-16 (1.4:1).
Kicks long vs short: 15-3 (5.0:1).
Kicking accuracy: 5/23 ineffective incl 2 clangers.
Handball accuracy: 4/16 ineffective incl 1 clangers.
Total accuracy: 9/39 ineffective incl 3 clangers.
Gets own ball?: 9/39TD were HR. 6 HBG.
S.P. clearances: 4 incl 3 BU incl 1 CBC.
Tackles: 13
Marking: 2 of 10 were contested.

Bentleigh said:
Not 100% but I dont think Wiz sees much of the South Australian lads.

Considering he rated Griffen at #1 and has just as detailed reports on Franklin from WA and Meyer as I posted above, I think its fair to say that he sees enough of the players from all states

Infamy said:
Considering he rated Griffen at #1 and has just as detailed reports on Franklin from WA and Meyer as I posted above, I think its fair to say that he sees enough of the players from all states

Like I said, I wasnt sure.

I hear he watches much more TAC cup than matches from other states.

been waiting for these...keep em comin bents...

isnt the wiz sumtin else, love people who are totally engaged in what they do no matter what it is, i've seen some garbo's with so much intensity bout the way they go about their work its scary but i love that s__t.

biggupz to da one like WIZZ MAN :p

blxx said:
been waiting for these...keep em comin bents...

isnt the wiz sumtin else, love people who are totally engaged in what they do no matter what it is, i've seen some garbo's with so much intensity bout the way they go about their work its scary but i love that s__t.

biggupz to da one like WIZZ MAN :p

Certainly likes his football.

He cops heaps on big footy but i like reading his stuff. Usually knows his shyte.

sounds to me like you guys cant even finish last and clean up the draft properly.

duds.

p.s. Jesse W. Smith is the complete package, this wisbey guy is correct. better than deledio and tamlbing, that's for sure.

Bentleigh said:
Will be TOP SHELF i.e. household names

Griffen, Deledio, Smith, Tambling, Thomson, Roughead, Franklin, Wood

VERY SKINNY BUT genuine AFL potential .... if (!) they can bulk up sufficiently

LIMBACH, Dean (52) [Ric] Versatile marking tall. Shown great promise but only in cameo. Officially has a 6cm reach disadvantage but, if he wasn't so damn skinny or I could be sure he could bulk up enough, he'd definitely be in the group above
Given Limbach has put on 11kg over the past year, I'm looking forward to seeing him play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

turtle27 said:
Given Limbach has put on 11kg over the past year, I'm looking forward to seeing him play.

Yeah alot of good things said about him this pre-season. I remember it being said 12 months ago he was abit of a prat.

If he can get his head screwed on right and bulk up then he might well be a decent prospect. If it wasn't for his injury he might have gone pretty high. Bit of an unknown.

Dean Limbach
Details:
Club: West Coburg/Calder
DOB: 25 October 1986 Hgt: 191cm Wgt: 77kg
Position: Forward
Natural Foot: Right

Honours:
National Draft Camp 2004

TAC Stats:
2003: 11 games, 15 goals, 10.1 PPG
2004: 7 games, 21 goals, 8.9 PPG

Strengths: Limbach is a rangy forward who moves well, is strong overhead and a good kick for goal. He starred in the opening game of the season, kicking 6 goals before breaking his wrist and only returning just before the finals.

Dean works hard to keep the ball in the forward line and is quick on the lead. On his return to TAC Cup football he has immediately started kicking goals again. Has a very good leap on him.

Weaknesses: The big question mark is the injury. Although recovered, Limbach missed nearly the entire season and therefore it's hard to assess just well he would have gone.

Footydraft.com comment: Shown glimpses of real goalkicking talent during his rare appearances, but his injury might see him miss out.

http://www.footydraft.com/players.php?player=dean_limbach

God knows we could use a 190cm+ "real goalkicking talent" at the club.

Bentleigh said:
Yeah alot of good things said about him this pre-season. I remember it being said 12 months ago he was abit of a prat.

If he can get his head screwed on right and bulk up then he might well be a decent prospect. If it wasn't for his injury he might have gone pretty high. Bit of an unknown.

God knows we could use a 190cm+ "real goalkicking talent" at the club.
I'll apply the pressure early and say he's the next Richo;)

Infamy said:
Um, no, that was you saying he "looked" like a bit of a prat. Massive difference you moron.

Um, not idiot, it was the vast major of people that knew him or had come in contact with him saying he was aroggant and t'wat like.

Moron.

I hate to say it, but he's right.

I remember reading an article on the club website earlier this year, rating the newbies or something like that, and whoever wrote it - Miller or Wallace - mentioned his attitude problem (albeit in a PC way)

this was it...

Selection No. 52: Dean Limbach

As a later draft pick, Dean also took some time to adjust to the tempo of AFL training. The under-18 boys find it difficult to come up to four sessions a day, six days a week through the pre-season, as it is such a rise in intensity and volume to what they have been used to in the past training-wise. Dean also is lightly-framed, but has worked very hard in the gym and made some significant gains already in his body development. At pick 52 in the draft, he was a speculative selection, based on his natural speed, leap and football ‘smarts’. His fitness levels are nowhere near that of an elite athlete, and much work needs to be done to even be relatively competitive in this area. Dean also needs to improve his competitive nature, as it is difficult to make AFL football without a fighting spirit. At times, he still plays as if in the junior ranks. There is no doubting that Dean has natural talent, but eventually it will be his decision whether he is prepared to work hard enough to overcome some of his deficiencies. The ball is squarely in his court, although he will certainly receive all the assistance that our coaching staff can give him.

taken from http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=221235

Remove this Banner Ad

Colin Wisbey Richmond Draft Review.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back