Collingwood and Richmond - who has the greater supporter base

Remove this Banner Ad

Just a reminder: Terms like “Minnowmond”, “Shrinkingwood”, “Dwindlewood” and the like belong on the bay, not the main board. Same goes for referring to either team as a minnow, when clearly neither fits that description.

If you see stuff like this, don’t respond with more of it. Click ‘report’ so we can deal with it.

Bahahaha how fickle are you lot, it was cold lmaooo. The one that needs help is you whos complaining about the cold for not turning up.
Like Richmond supporters banging on about train strikes when they draw a terrible crowd!

It’s 2022 and Collingwood is the biggest club in Australia. Collingwood broke the 1 million barrier mark yet again. How did Richmond go this year?

Like Richmond supporters banging on about train strikes when they draw a terrible crowd!

It’s 2022 and Collingwood is the biggest club in Australia. Collingwood broke the 1 million barrier mark yet again. How did Richmond go this year?
Not every team plays games out of a 100k stadium most weeks like Collingwood or Richmond has favourable fixtures to suit.
Essendon and Carlton have been basket cases the past 20 years and are easily as big as the pies or Richmond

How does a team like west coast fare with a stadium capacity of mid to late 50k a 10plus year wait list for there memberships and people pay a privilege for annuity.

Not every team plays games out of a 100k stadium most weeks like Collingwood or Richmond has favourable fixtures to suit.
Essendon and Carlton have been basket cases the past 20 years and are easily as big as the pies or Richmond

How does a team like west coast fare with a stadium capacity of mid to late 50k a 10plus year wait list for there memberships and people pay a privilege for annuity.
Let them continue their dul

Let them carry on with the delusional debate. This discussion became nonsense months ago. It pretty much should be moved to Bay 13.

Anyway, condolences to the Collingwood fans today. It was a terrific year.

So boys and girls, I think what we've established is:

* If you schedule games against a strong opponent at a convenient time and place for fans, in a large-capacity stadium in good conditions -> you get good crowds.

* If you schedule games against poor opposition, in a smaller stadium, at an inconvenient location for fans and a poor timeslot -> you get poor crowds.

I'm glad we needed 78 pages of salt to work this one out.

So boys and girls, I think what we've established is:

* If you schedule games against a strong opponent at a convenient time and place for fans, in a large-capacity stadium in good conditions -> you get good crowds.

* If you schedule games against poor opposition, in a smaller stadium, at an inconvenient location for fans and a poor timeslot -> you get poor crowds.

I'm glad we needed 78 pages of salt to work this one out.
You forgot the third point:

* If you prove you can draw a big crowd, you'll be fixtured at a convenient timeslot at a large stadium.

When is the last time Geelong have been fixtured in an inconvenient timeslot at a small ground against Collingwood?

Can we all agree that Collingwood are again now back to being as hated as much as Richmond? I'm sure that's something of a mission accomplished for the Pies, who were in danger of being pitied for a short while there.

Normal service resumed.

Can we all agree that Collingwood are again now back to being as hated as much as Richmond? I'm sure that's something of a mission accomplished for the Pies, who were in danger of being pitied for a short while there.

Normal service resumed.
Yep, those two years we spent outside the top 4 were really hard to take.

Thank god normal programming has resumed!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In an interview with the AFL Record, McRae said Collingwood had the best supporter base in the AFL, including Richmond, which like the Pies, also had 100,000 members last year.

“I'm going to say something controversial. Collingwood’s 100,000 members are a lot louder and more passionate,” he said.

“I know I'm not here to say we're the biggest and the best,” he continued. “But one thing I do know is that our supporter base is unbelievable. And I was part of Richmond with their 100,000 members.”

“There's always cameras here. There's always a story that's trying to be created. It didn't happen at Richmond. It didn't happen at Hawthorn,” he said.

Last edited:
In an interview with the AFL Record, McRae said Collingwood had the best supporter base in the AFL, including Richmond, which like the Pies, also had 100,000 members last year.

“I'm going to say something controversial. Collingwood’s 100,000 members are a lot louder and more passionate,” he said.

“I know I'm not here to say we're the biggest and the best,” he continued. “But one thing I do know is that our supporter base is unbelievable. And I was part of Richmond with their 100,000 members.”

Man in charge of football club says his supporter base is the best. More breaking news at 9.

Remove this Banner Ad

Collingwood and Richmond - who has the greater supporter base

Remove this Banner Ad

Back