Collingwood and Richmond - who has the greater supporter base

Remove this Banner Ad

Just a reminder: Terms like “Minnowmond”, “Shrinkingwood”, “Dwindlewood” and the like belong on the bay, not the main board. Same goes for referring to either team as a minnow, when clearly neither fits that description.

If you see stuff like this, don’t respond with more of it. Click ‘report’ so we can deal with it.

Yeah, I was there champ and there weren't 60K of you. Couldve hit 90K if your city end members decided to roll up.
Ohh so when you hear collingwood late in the last when you know you're going to win, is that just not true the way it comes across the TV because games that I've seen like pies v cats it sounded pretty loud to me and it echoed but in your own words that is simply not true what comes across the TV.
Do you realise how absurd you sound, of course, there is a general idea of how the noise levels are at a game.

i see you no GIF by Shalita Grant
Try again

Collingwood is the biggest club in Australia and when Essendon get their act together they will be 2nd. Richmond may be the biggest club in Richmond and that’s about it!!
So now Essendon is the sleeping giant?

So if we got to 2nd because we got our act together after being a sleeping giant, and the only reason Essendon aren't 2nd now is because they can't wake up, then surely Essendon will be bigger than Collingwood when they get their act together? Even Carlton will be bigger than Collingwood?

Essendon
Carlton
Richmond & Collingwood

Richmond & Collingwood is close, but the fact is we showed Collingwood that getting 100,000 members was possible, so maybe that could put us at 3?

If Collingwood could've got 100,000 members before Richmond, they would've in 2011. If Collingwood (the "biggest club") could've got more than 95,000 to PF against the GWS to get them to a GF, they would've, but they didn't. That PF you guys played against the GWS felt like a H&A game to me.

There really is no need to speculate where Richmond and Collingwood are concerned, we were the first to a 100,000 after being a sleeping giant, and Collingwood have just reacted to what we did before them.

So what do you reckon Essendon and Carlton would crack when they wake up? Maybe 150,000 before Richmond & Collingwood could even think about it?

Pies fans outnumber opposition fans at a pies home game. Shocking.

No doubt the Tiger fans have launched onto the bandwagon the last six years, and fair enough too, but just like every team that has its ups and downs, the Tiger fans will realise that their team is now cooked and the fans will go back into hibernation till their time comes again.

By 2026 the Tigers will have less members than probably four or five Vic clubs.
No more than when any other team finally starts to become successful. We always had good membership numbers, even when we hadn't won a won a final in 16 years or a flag in 37. And even when we were rattling tins.

I seriously doubt that second part.

These Collingwood supporters are funny little fellas though, they once got 51,000 against Port in a final at the 'G, what did they get this season against Port in rnd 2? It's as if these Collingwood supporters are reacting to some other supporter base out there, a supporter base that does it's own thing, and had no one to react to when they got 100,000 members.

By 2026 the Tigers will have less members than probably four or five Vic clubs.
And if this happens, would we still be one of the biggest clubs? Because you seem to suggest that Richmond is the biggest Victorian club while they have the most members?

Gopies81 suggests that Essendon will be second biggest club when they get their act together, I assume because they'll get more members?

And if this happens, would we still be one of the biggest clubs? Because you seem to suggest that Richmond is the biggest Victorian club while they have the most members?

Gopies81 suggests that Essendon will be second biggest club when they get their act together, I assume because they'll get more members?
No, more supporters. Converted to more members if they win premierships. 0E8DDDD5-97AF-4EFC-82D8-E7E063DC6D8C.jpeg

No, more supporters. Converted to more members if they win premierships.
Dave in the attendance thread you mentioned the pies membership numbers without winning a flag, mate lets not forget they have played in 4 GF's in the last 12 years and won a flag plus 2 prelims "without making the big dance". They have always been thereabouts = fans are engaged.
Don't make it out like they haven't been successful, like the REAL droughts of all of rich, carl and Ess who hadn't won squat in 2-3 decades.

Anyway, I have no issue saying pies had more to their home game just not to the numbers that gopies was making out. Just like when we outnumber the pies in our home game, nothing new to see here.

I look forward to the day when all of the big 4 Vic clubs are in the 8 at the same time.

Supporters are members.

So in your opinion Essendon has been the second biggest club all this time? But not according to Gopies81, he believes members decides who is the biggest club, and that you will become second when you wake up!
Yes I do. Members is highly influenced by relative on field performance so it’s relevance at any point in time is diluted somewhat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collingwood is the biggest club in Australia and when Essendon get their act together they will be 2nd. Richmond may be the biggest club in Richmond and that’s about it!!

Wow, no wonder we had 95K v GWS in a final and 77K V Lions in a home and away game. The biggest numbers by any Club against an interstate side in a final and home & away. Well done for pointing out how big we are in Richmond compared to our little next-door neighbor Collingwood :p

Richmond recorded a population of 28,587 at the 2021 census
Richmond (Vic.) population in 2023 would be 40,429

2021 Estimated Resident Population for Collingwood is 9,348
The 2023 population forecast for Collingwood is 10,264

Dave in the attendance thread you mentioned the pies membership numbers without winning a flag, mate lets not forget they have played in 4 GF's in the last 12 years and won a flag plus 2 prelims "without making the big dance". They have always been thereabouts = fans are engaged.
And all that never got them to 100,000 members until some other team that's not the biggest set the bar. Imagine that, little ol' Richmond setting the bar! That really is something to marvel at!

Don't make it out like they haven't been successful, like the REAL droughts of all of rich, carl and Ess who hadn't won squat in 2-3 decades.

Anyway, I have no issue saying pies had more to their home game just not to the numbers that gopies was making out. Just like when we outnumber the pies in our home game, nothing new to see here.

I look forward to the day when all of the big 4 Vic clubs are in the 8 at the same time.
I’m not getting into that micro debate of last Friday nights crowd split. I wasn’t there..

My firm view is Collingwood is the AFLs biggest club. They will have 110,000 members this year, flag or no flag. Yes they’ve been reasonably successful the last 15 years broadly, they still haven’t won premierships the last 5 years so there’s certainly another leg up if they do. I also think that their 60,000 Vs Power was a statement crowd that set them apart too. Yes it had everything behind it, it was still the record by some margin. And I agree I attach some scepticism to crowds and memberships based on firm and stadium venue, however I still believe they’re the yardstick of the competition.

Members is highly influenced by relative on field performance so it’s relevance at any point in time is diluted somewhat.
So why do you think that Collingwood didn't get 100,000 in 2011 like Richmond did in 2018? And if they couldn't get 100,000 back then, why now, what's changed?

I’m not getting into that micro debate of last Friday nights crowd split. I wasn’t there..

My firm view is Collingwood is the AFLs biggest club. They will have 110,000 members this year, flag or no flag. Yes they’ve been reasonably successful the last 15 years broadly, they still haven’t won premierships the last 5 years so there’s certainly another leg up if they do. I also think that their 60,000 Vs Power was a statement crowd that set them apart too. Yes it had everything behind it, it was still the record by some margin. And I agree I attach some scepticism to crowds and memberships based on firm and stadium venue, however I still believe they’re the yardstick of the competition.
77,000 vs Brisbane is like playing another Victorian club due to the ex Fitzroy supporters. Last year Richmond played Brisbane and drew 45,000 now why the huge drop off? Collingwood Drew 60,000 v port with little to no support from port fans.

Richmond going by a crowd of 94,000 v gws in a prelim final. Collingwood Drew 90,000 v freo in a semi final. Collingwood have always been the biggest club in the afl. Collingwood have supporters all over the country. Collingwood will have the most members this year and if we win a premiership we will be pushing 120-130,000 members. Richmond reached the peak at 100,000 and that’s after 3 premierships. If Collingwood win 3 premieres we will be on 150,000 members.

Richmond are not even the 2nd most supported club that is Essendon and 3rd will be Carlton. Wait till the big 3 start winning premierships they will leave Richmond for dust

Fair enough. Who knows who will have the biggest membership this year? We could still. Yes that was a great crowd pies v port and but so was ours in 2019 V lions 77K and yes lions have good support there. This is the thing I can't downplay a good crowd but some of these insecure pies fans will constantly pot at Richmond.
Here's the thing if you think that I'm not here to try and change your mind but I surely don't believe it and all of rich (we have shown it now by some of these huge crowds in finals/home and away), and I have no doubt that both carl and ess can break some records when truly successful again.

Home and away attendances I agree, for example, pies play an extra game at the G than we do. They also play Ess twice, we play the bombers once.
Ess playing at marvel skews your overall home and away numbers. The fixture isn't a level playing field anyone that says otherwise can't handle the cold hard truth.

Fair enough. Who knows who will have the biggest membership this year? We could still. Yes that was a great crowd pies v port and but so was ours in 2019 V lions 77K and yes lions have good support there. This is the thing I can't downplay a good crowd but some of these insecure pies fans will constantly pot at Richmond.
Here's the thing if you think that I'm not here to try and change your mind but I surely don't believe it and all of rich (we have shown it now by some of these huge crowds in finals/home and away), and I have no doubt that both carl and ess can break some records when truly successful again.

Home and away attendances I agree, for example, pies play an extra game at the G than we do. They also play Ess twice, we play the bombers once.
Ess playing at marvel skews your overall home and away numbers. The fixture isn't a level playing field anyone that says otherwise can't handle the cold hard truth.
Johnny Cochrane eat ya heart out. 😍

77,000 vs Brisbane is like playing another Victorian club due to the ex Fitzroy supporters. Last year Richmond played Brisbane and drew 45,000 now why the huge drop off? Collingwood Drew 60,000 v port with little to no support from port fans.

Richmond going by a crowd of 94,000 v gws in a prelim final. Collingwood Drew 90,000 v freo in a semi final. Collingwood have always been the biggest club in the afl. Collingwood have supporters all over the country. Collingwood will have the most members this year and if we win a premiership we will be pushing 120-130,000 members. Richmond reached the peak at 100,000 and that’s after 3 premierships. If Collingwood win 3 premieres we will be on 150,000 members.

Richmond are not even the 2nd most supported club that is Essendon and 3rd will be Carlton. Wait till the big 3 start winning premierships they will leave Richmond for dust

No, just no Lions is not like playing a vic club but I did say they do have good support here. Geez this is what I mean that you will always look to downplay a Richmond massive crowd. Now had you said Sydney then sure they have the biggest support here by a long way from an interstate perspective and Crowds can be much higher than if you had played other interstate sides. Coll V Port in 2022 at the G (40716), why the huge drop-off? See two can play that game.

Lol are you trying to compare Freo who brought 8K in support to GWS who bring pretty much zilch and btw that was the first final at the G in 3 years coll v freo. That's why you got 90K. Against a team with no support GWS you got 72K and 77K, we got 95K.

You are speculating with your membership numbers, we had 105K then covid hit. I can easily say you only got 100K when the AFL dropped their 50-dollar spend criteria. You could never reach that amount before even after 2018 GF, after 2010/2011 GF appearances.

Last edited:
And that will be because Richmond wont be winning premierships, but then I'll say "you've only left us for dust because we aren't winning premierships." So you see, if all boats continue to rise with the membership tide, you can only leave Richmond for dust because we wont be winning premierships when Carlton, Essendon and Collingwood are winning premierships, so there will be nothing to marvel at if your dream comes true, because if we kept winning premierships along with your 3 favourite teams than our boat will also continue to rise with the membership tide. What stopped Collingwood from getting 100,000 members in 2019?

Another Collingwood fan said:

"Collingwood is the biggest club in Australia and when Essendon get their act together they will be 2nd. Richmond may be the biggest club in Richmond and that’s about it!!"

So you see, not all Collingwood fans think the same way, some say Essendon will become second, others say they already are.

So if in your opinion Essendon is second already, when will Carlton be 3rd?

Remove this Banner Ad

Collingwood and Richmond - who has the greater supporter base

Remove this Banner Ad

Back