Rumour Collingwood FC Selling Home Games

Remove this Banner Ad

So just as the Gold Coast come good we’ll guarantee ourselves an away game there every year at the expense of an easier game, probably in Adelaide…

Not sure that’s how it will work. As I understand it we’d be selling a home Docklands scheduled game to play a home game at GC against someone other than GC.

So just as the Gold Coast come good we’ll guarantee ourselves an away game there every year at the expense of an easier game, probably in Adelaide…
The moved game would be against one of the Dogs, Saints or Kangas. The whole point is to move our “home” game against a Marvel tenant. It would then be a QLD school holiday initiative with the match following against GC in a KB/ AD style locked in fixture. Watching us struggle there v both the Dogs and Kangas reaffirmed for me that this is a no brainer if the AFL get on board. The key is in selling it as growing the game in QLD because the AFL will want to replace the lost Marvel fixture.

I dont know alot about this, apart from what is seen in this thread.

My simplistic view is that
  • We have a three week block in the warmth of Qld
  • We get away as a group and further strengthen our team environment.
  • We get away from playing a Marvel tenant at Marvel.
  • We increase our presence and membership in the growth area.
  • Perhaps dreaming a bit on this one but we start our own academy up there :cool:
If any of this is the clubs thinking, then I say well done to them for thinking differently and not waiting for the AFL to push us in a certain direction to appease the interstate clubs regarding travel.

A few things to play out.

The AFL fixture still has the 6,6,6 handicapping built in - if Gold Coast are strong, they become one of the top6 double up opponents so we then get an easier double up against Richmond.

With the big push (sook) about inequitable travel - we should get on the front foot and control our own destiny. Pushing for multiple games in QLD that the club can use strategically is a big win, compared to being shunted to an extra away game randomly.

And the big win is dropping the "home" game against a Marvel tenant at Marvel. It would be great to have 10 home games at the G, and 1 on Gold Coast.

Time it around winter school holidays, Pie fans can flock to the coast...club runs a couple of clinics during the week, speaking nights with coaches for parents and gets a couple of sold out games at Carrara in consecutive weeks!

Great for AFL growth in Sth QLD, great for Collingwood, and we already have lost home ground advantage for that game anyway if kept at Marvel

The only downside is some Melbourne based fans have 1 less game to go too...but we still would have 14 at the G (so we cant really complain).

The moved game would be against one of the Dogs, Saints or Kangas. The whole point is to move our “home” game against a Marvel tenant. It would then be a QLD school holiday initiative with the match following against GC in a KB/ AD style locked in fixture. Watching us struggle there v both the Dogs and Kangas reaffirmed for me that this is a no brainer if the AFL get on board. The key is in selling it as growing the game in QLD because the AFL will want to replace the lost Marvel fixture.

Agree that it'd give a football advantage, but think the real goal is that the Pies are targetting the recrutiment of Gold Coast based fans. We want to be Man U with a fan base expanded well beyond our location.

We'll be able to sell it as growing the game, but will the AFL want us competing with GC for fans?

I like it if it means we play one less game at marvel assuming it’s a home game against another Victorian club and precedes the away game against the suns
An no more pretend home game against north or bulldogs

Agree that it'd give a football advantage, but think the real goal is that the Pies are targetting the recrutiment of Gold Coast based fans. We want to be Man U with a fan base expanded well beyond our location.

We'll be able to sell it as growing the game, but will the AFL want us competing with GC for fans?
It’s a growth area with a big “expat” population escaping Melbourne winters (my brother in laws up there with his family so I’d look at doing the double) so I don’t think it would cannibalise GC’s fan base too much. When it comes to the AFL ticking off you also have Carlton and Essendon trying to move home matches away from Marvel. I think all 3 stances are justified, but it marginalises an AFL asset in Marvel. It’s really becoming the new Waverley no matter how much money they throw at it…

Not sure that’s how it will work. As I understand it we’d be selling a home Docklands scheduled game to play a home game at GC against someone other than GC.

The plan was for 2 weeks up there. So it’s an away game v Gold Coast followed by a home game v someone. So yes, the clubs plans include guaranteeing an away game on the Gold Coast every year.

Except the AFL is far more likely to move our Marvel home game v an interstate side such as West Coast or even Brisbane…

Except the AFL is far more likely to move our Marvel home game v an interstate side such as West Coast or even Brisbane…
No, this is a contractual matter. We’re contracted to 2 home matches against Etihad tenants each year so would only be exploring this if it’s an ongoing contractual situation. The problem would then be the replacement match for Marvel.

No, this is a contractual matter. We’re contracted to 2 home matches against Etihad tenants each year so would only be exploring this if it’s an ongoing contractual situation. The problem would then be the replacement match for Marvel.
Contracts can be varied. And given the owner of Marvel is the same body setting/approving the GC fixturing, it's probably not that big an obstacle...

No, we’re contracted to 2 home games and 1 away game at Marvel every year, home games aren’t always Marvel tenants.

Last year we played Brisbane, this year we played West Coast.

The North game was their home game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The plan was for 2 weeks up there. So it’s an away game v Gold Coast followed by a home game v someone. So yes, the clubs plans include guaranteeing an away game on the Gold Coast every year.

Small price to pay for escaping a home game at Marvel against 1 of the Marvel tenants. We play a certain number of away games interstate, irrelevant where they are.

No, we’re contracted to 2 home games and 1 away game at Marvel every year, home games aren’t always Marvel tenants.

The North game at Marvel in 2023 was our home game. The Doggies game at Marvel this year was our home game. It’s the same nearly every year.

Make Carlton and Essendon, two Marvel tenants, play each other at their own shithole. Everyone wins!

Gotcha my mistake. Go back for any number of years to look at how the scheduling works and almost without fail we’ll have a home match v a Marvel tenant. It’ll be that one moved and there’s no way the current administration would leave a loophole that allows that to be exploited by the AFL.

Last edited:
Contracts can be varied. And given the owner of Marvel is the same body setting/approving the GC fixturing, it's probably not that big an obstacle...
I’d defer to you on that front with your connections. Would you think a replacement match would be sought for the stadium? My assumption would be that the contracts with vendors may not be as flexible, but I don’t know what the minimum number of Marvel matches a year is. If it’s say 45 and we’re currently at 47 that leaves one club without a seat at the table…

The North game at Marvel in 2023 was our home game. The Doggies game at Marvel this year was our home game. It’s the same nearly every year.
All home Marvel games against a Marvel tenant:
  • R20 2000 = Western Bulldogs
  • R7 2001 = North Melbourne
  • R13 2002 = North Melbourne
  • R9 2003 = St Kilda
  • R19 2005 = North Melbourne

• R13 2008 = Western Bulldogs
  • R7 2009 = St Kilda // R22 2009 = Western Bulldogs
  • R11 2010 = Western Bulldogs
  • R21 2012 = North Melbourne
  • R6 2013 = St Kilda
  • R13 2014 = Western Bulldogs
  • R18 2016 = North Melbourne
  • R4 2017 = St Kilda
  • R10 2018 = Western Bulldogs
  • R15 2019 = North Melbourne
  • R9 2022 = Western Bulldogs
  • R11 2023 = North Melbourne
  • R12 2024 = Western Bulldogs

Last edited:
When it comes to the AFL ticking off you also have Carlton and Essendon trying to move home matches away from Marvel. I think all 3 stances are justified, but it marginalises an AFL asset in Marvel. It’s really becoming the new Waverley no matter how much money they throw at it…

St Kilda are also asking for either 1 or 2 home games at the G instead of Docklands.

So between Carlton, Essendon, St Kilda and Collingwood they're potentially asking for 7 or more games to be moved away from Docklands. There's only 43 scheduled there in total this year so it's a big chunk to miss out on.

They might make up some games when Tassie comes on board and Hawthorn and North Melbourne reduce/remove their Launceston/Hobart games and shift them back to Vic but there'll still be a shortfall for a while.

All home Marvel games against a Marvel tenant:
  • R20 2000 = Western Bulldogs
  • R7 2001 = North Melbourne
  • R13 2002 = North Melbourne
  • R9 2003 = St Kilda
  • R19 2005 = North Melbourne

• R13 2008 = Western Bulldogs
  • R7 2009 = St Kilda
  • R11 2010 = Western Bulldogs
  • R21 2012 = North Melbourne
  • R6 2013 = St Kilda
  • R13 2014 = Western Bulldogs
  • R18 2016 = North Melbourne
  • R4 2017 = St Kilda
  • R10 2018 = Western Bulldogs
  • R15 2019 = North Melbourne
  • R9 2022 = Western Bulldogs
  • R11 2023 = North Melbourne
  • R12 2024 = Western Bulldogs

Yep. 2020 Covid camps impacting.

I’d defer to you on that front with your connections. Would you think a replacement match would be sought for the stadium? My assumption would be that the contracts with vendors may not be as flexible, but I don’t know what the minimum number of Marvel matches a year is. If it’s say 45 and we’re currently at 47 that leaves one club without a seat at the table…
Everything is negotiable. Can't see this one being that tough to manage. Might not have been so easy when Collo was running the Docklands.

It wouldn't have to be Gold Coast every year. We could play Brissy instead whilst staying up there.

Everything is negotiable. Can't see this one being that tough to manage. Might not have been so easy when Collo was running the Docklands.
The irony of it for me would be that he probably got Carlton into their deal there as president in order to save them. Talk about conflict of interest CEO of Marvel and president of Carlton at the same time…

FWIW I agree that everything is negotiable, at the right price. The problem is without a serious pitch from Collingwood on it growing the game up there if I’m running a cost benefit analysis at AFL house on this exercise I’d have it Carlton and Essendon at the G > Collingwood on the GC > St Kilda at the G. That has us 5th in line for games moved from Marvel.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Collingwood FC Selling Home Games

Remove this Banner Ad

Back