Universal Love Collingwood for the Millennials.

Remove this Banner Ad

Millane at Victoria Park with his foot in an opponent's back as he takes the ball out of the sky, lands like bird upon the grass and then charges like bull...except that he dances around his prey rather than charging through them, a figure of grace and brute strength all at once. He thought he owned the place, but then I suppose he did, and we all did. Daicos whenever he went near the ball, the lull and expectation of a sea of people who cannot believe that they're witnessing the defiance of physics and suspension of reality once again. Every Saturday afternoon.

These are relics and remnants, made and re-made by every generation, but I think it's important for everyone to reach back into a past which existed before themselves in order to understand a bigger story. If this game is to remain more than a product and if Collingwood is to remain more than a franchise then it is the mix of older and more recent memories which will be our salvation.

Millane at Victoria Park with his foot in an opponent's back as he takes the ball out of the sky, lands like bird upon the grass and then charges like bull...except that he dances around his prey rather than charging through them, a figure of grace and brute strength all at once. He thought he owned the place, but then I suppose he did, and we all did. Daicos whenever he went near the ball, the lull and expectation of a sea of people who cannot believe that they're witnessing the defiance of physics and suspension of reality once again. Every Saturday afternoon.

These are relics and remnants, made and re-made by every generation, but I think it's important for everyone to reach back into a past which existed before themselves in order to understand a bigger story. If this game is to remain more than a product and if Collingwood is to remain more than a franchise then it is the mix of older and more recent memories which will be our salvation.

Well said!

Beautifully put JB.

I can remember as a very young kid back when Ronnie Andrews played for Essendon, I was behind the goals at Vic Park in a standing spot on the hill, the whole crowd was giving it to him, “chanting Ronnie is a Homo” (apologise if anyone is offended, it was a different time and in all fairness had no idea what it meant) Next year all they did was change it to Hero, as a young kid it stuck in my mind and thinking that most of the people on that hill were all most likely the same one eyed, devotees as the year before.

It is funny what sticks in ones mind when thinking of the past. Not in any particular order, these are just some.

Sumich kicking for goal for a win, point the draw in the final moments of a Qual final at Waverley Park in 1990. Waverley Park itself has many memories, not all good.

Watching Barham, Daicos, the Shaws knee deep in mud at Vic Park.

T. Shaw penalised for a throw when he handballed over his head at Vic Park (Fitzroy?) and penalised for a throw. Now it happens all the time.

Lining up overnight for finals tickets at Vic Park, someone would always start a fire for warmth, people were very good at minding your spot if you left for a while, made many friends.

Sitting in front of Corporate boxes?:D:D, and joining in the banter with them in Rush Stand. (No glass or plushy seats then).

The duffle coats with players names and numbers - wish I had kept my daughters, had 35 on the back.

I am not much older than you, I don't have the glorious memories of Vic Park that some of the other posters have but I am a fourth generation pies fan that was born in the early '90's so I will offer a different take. I live interstate and didn't get to a game until I was 15.

I first started watching in the late '90s and all I really remember was that we were really bad. At that stage I had no idea about cycles and rebuilds etc that my old man would always go on about just to get me to keep the faith. I am glad I did though, the 2002 season is my favourite bar 2010. The highs and lows of being a Collingwood supporter were probably best captured in that season. From memory we started off pretty slow but eventually we knocked off the Lions, the reigning premiers, at Docklands. That was the night that I signed my papers as a Collingwood Supporter for life, the significance of that night will never be lost on me as to me we had officially marked ourselves as contenders.

We all know how the 2002 season ends in heartbreak, but the rollercoaster that finals series was still sends shivers up my spine.
The Qualifying upset over Port at AAMI (I am pretty sure Bucks wasn't playing that game, someone correct me)
The prelim against the crows, I will never forget Lonie streaming from half back delivering a pass to Rocca who unloads from well over 60m out and nails a goal.
The grand final against the lions, no one gave us a chance leading into it. Buckley nearly won it off his own boot, winning the norm smith, that amazing goal from 55m out to put us in front and I started to believe. We all know how it ended but damn what a rollercoaster.

haha sorry for rambling on, I just got lost in nostalgia!

I would recommend getting your hands on Collingwood 1990 Road to Victory.

You will learn a lot about the 1990 side who although never rated as a team of superstars won us a drought breaking flag. Many famous Collingwood players played in that side like Brown, Daicos, Millane ect

https://www.ebay.com.au/i/322267546891?chn=ps

I am not much older than you, I don't have the glorious memories of Vic Park that some of the other posters have but I am a fourth generation pies fan that was born in the early '90's so I will offer a different take. I live interstate and didn't get to a game until I was 15.

I first started watching in the late '90s and all I really remember was that we were really bad. At that stage I had no idea about cycles and rebuilds etc that my old man would always go on about just to get me to keep the faith. I am glad I did though, the 2002 season is my favourite bar 2010. The highs and lows of being a Collingwood supporter were probably best captured in that season. From memory we started off pretty slow but eventually we knocked off the Lions, the reigning premiers, at Docklands. That was the night that I signed my papers as a Collingwood Supporter for life, the significance of that night will never be lost on me as to me we had officially marked ourselves as contenders.

We all know how the 2002 season ends in heartbreak, but the rollercoaster that finals series was still sends shivers up my spine.
The Qualifying upset over Port at AAMI (I am pretty sure Bucks wasn't playing that game, someone correct me)
The prelim against the crows, I will never forget Lonie streaming from half back delivering a pass to Rocca who unloads from well over 60m out and nails a goal.
The grand final against the lions, no one gave us a chance leading into it. Buckley nearly won it off his own boot, winning the norm smith, that amazing goal from 55m out to put us in front and I started to believe. We all know how it ended but damn what a rollercoaster.

haha sorry for rambling on, I just got lost in nostalgia!

Love the passion!!

ive wrote this before on here but..

when I was a kid my family drove over to Melbourne for Collingwood's last game. we went for the whole week and went to the training sessions during the week. I was probably 10ish years old an my brother and I stuck around long after training had finished and everyone had left.
we were kicking back and forth my brother and I before gavin brown walked onto the field and asked for a kick.
so there is myself gavin brown(captain) and my brother kicking the ball for a good half hour in the pitch black making leads and attempting torpedo's etc.

then it got late and browny said you better come with me so we followed him back into the rooms where the whole team was having dinner and he plonked us next to sav Rocca and we ate a bowl of spaghetti with the players.

mum and dad eventually found us hours later worried sick! lol

ive wrote this before on here but..

when I was a kid my family drove over to Melbourne for Collingwood's last game. we went for the whole week and went to the training sessions during the week. I was probably 10ish years old an my brother and I stuck around long after training had finished and everyone had left.
we were kicking back and forth my brother and I before gavin brown walked onto the field and asked for a kick.
so there is myself gavin brown(captain) and my brother kicking the ball for a good half hour in the pitch black making leads and attempting torpedo's etc.

then it got late and browny said you better come with me so we followed him back into the rooms where the whole team was having dinner and he plonked us next to sav Rocca and we ate a bowl of spaghetti with the players.

mum and dad eventually found us hours later worried sick! lol

No fooking way. You have to be lying? That’s crazy. Never been so jealous in my whole life. Hahah

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's okay if you missed out before 2007 because that's when good things started happening again for the Collingwood Football Club.

Here's a highlight from 2007. I was at the ground this day (as a 17 year old) and even I knew something big was coming. Something really special.

No fooking way. You have to be lying? That’s crazy. Never been so jealous in my whole life. Hahah
absolutely not. it was the best feeling and obviously a moment i've cherished in life.

also have 2 other stories about going to see games as a kid in Adelaide.

we played the crows and after the game u could go hangout the side of the changerooms and hope to get a signature from players as they walked on to the bus to go back to their hotel room. again my brother and I hung around a long time and most people got sick of waiting and left so ended up just being us and another 2 kids from a different family when chris Tarrant popped open the door to see how many people were there I suppose then said he kids do u wanna come inside. so us 4 kids left our parents outside and we walked around the changerooms while all the players were stark naked or getting dressed etc etc. we just stood in the corner quietly. :)

T. Shaw penalised for a throw when he handballed over his head at Vic Park (Fitzroy?) and penalised for a throw. Now it happens all the time.

I'd forgotten that umpires used to think that this was a throw. With handballs - it used to be when in doubt it's a free kick against you for a throw. Nowadays, if there is the slightest chance that a tiny amount of your fist may have brushed the ball whilst you proppelled it forward in a throw like manner, it's play on.

and the other not so staggering story was me trying to get a signature of paul Williams after an Adelaide game also but I couldn't get thru the crowd of other Collingwood supporters to be noticed but his gf/wife at the time spotted me and he pushed everyone aside to sign my jumper

It's okay if you missed out before 2007 because that's when good things started happening again for the Collingwood Football Club.

Here's a highlight from 2007. I was at the ground this day (as a 17 year old) and even I knew something big was coming. Something really special.

Oh Pendles, the best Collingwood player I’ve seen. I know Swan had the Brownlow, but Pendles is just the definition of a consistent high performing. He’s in my top 5 players of the last decade. Champion.

I love the Collingwood football club more than I love fortnite and Alcohol. I’m 22, but moved to Australia in 2007. I’m looking for stories prior to 2007. I would say I know a bit of the past decade or so.

Treat me like a blank canvas.
I know the legends : Richards, Daicos, Moore, Buckley. But I want some more in detail Collingwood stories? Your favourite Collingwood match or memory? Favourite Collingwood player? First game? Who did you like as a player but everyone hated? (Eg Mayne, I’m only kidding)
Information that will enlighten us young ones, and give us a greater understanding and love for this magnificent football club.
I want to expand my current Collingwood Football club knowledge.

If your post is amazing, I might transfer you some bitcoin.

A player I disliked that most rated - Paul Lucuria.

Who I liked as a player that everyone disliked - that's a hard question. Can't think of any to be honest. There were a few who disliked Paul Medhurst - Selfish. Brain freezes. I thought he was a freak. Entertaining.

2002 prelim final. 89,000 fans (70,000 Collingwood) first final in Melbourne since the 1990 premiership win. The roar when Collingwood came onto the ground was the loudest roar I have ever heard still. Also Anthony Rocca kicking a 65 meter goal in the 3Rd qtr to put the pies up by 14pts set the magpie army’s into a frenzy.

It was the first time as a 21 year old that I saw the pies win a final. A great bday present as it was my bday.

I love the Collingwood football club more than I love fortnite and Alcohol. I’m 22, but moved to Australia in 2007. I’m looking for stories prior to 2007. I would say I know a bit of the past decade or so.

Treat me like a blank canvas.
I know the legends : Richards, Daicos, Moore, Buckley. But I want some more in detail Collingwood stories? Your favourite Collingwood match or memory? Favourite Collingwood player? First game? Who did you like as a player but everyone hated? (Eg Mayne, I’m only kidding)
Information that will enlighten us young ones, and give us a greater understanding and love for this magnificent football club.
I want to expand my current Collingwood Football club knowledge.

If your post is amazing, I might transfer you some bitcoin.
I was 9 in 2000 and don’t really remember football prior to that. I’ll share some of my memories but I’m making no effort to make them chronological lol.

I remember being in “Buckley’s Brigade” and going to clinics at Victoria Park. Anthony Rocca took us on a tour of the gym, I got photos with Nick Davis, Nathan Buckley, Jarrod Molloy, Simon Prestigiacomo and Josh Fraser. I lined up forever to meet Chris Tarrant and just as I got past half way, they called him away and I didn’t get to meet him lol.

I’ll never forget the day Alan Didak kicked those two late goals in the qualifying final against Brisbane in 2003. Tucked up on the boundary, wrong side for a left footer and it never looked in doubt. I hated Alistair Lynch and Jonathan Brown, probably because they were so good and I was a kid so I just thought they were nasty haha.

Another Didak one, there was a game against Port in Adelaide that we won, and he flipped off the crowd when he put the icing on the cake lol.

2003, Chris Tarrant nails a goal after the siren to win the game!

I remember a game in which Dale Thomas was in his very early days (might’ve even been his debut, if not within his first 5 games) we played Adelaide. He took a hanger on someone and I remember being so excited by him, probably the most excited I’ve ever been about an early draft pick until Jaidyn Stephenson this year! We lost the game because Andrew McLeod slotted an absolute gem from 50 on the boundary, on his opposite!

One of favourite games ever was in the 2002 prelim against Adelaide. I remember someone spilling a mark on the 50 at the city end, Fraser getting the crumbs and giving the hands to Rupert Betheras who swooped on it and banged a home a long goal!”. Same game, almost directly after the Betheras goal, Ryan Lonie went on a trademark run and Anthony Rocca hit up and took a mark in front of Nigel Smart and then the crowd encouraged him to rip a bomb, which he did successfully then gave a jump and fist pump celebration! That third quarter in the prelim was as exciting as it gets!

Now that I think about it, the 2002 qualifying final in Adelaide against Port was a great night too! Peter Burgoyne marks at the top of the goal square and tries to play on but a desperate attempt from Ben Johnson just held him up and made him shark the kick and essentially saved the game!

I remember being at 2002 ANZAC Day, pouring rain, McGough won the medal, we won 66-33. I was 12 years old, and I was with parents, siblings, aunties, uncles and cousins who were Essendon supporters, safe to say my day was better than theirs!

A bit of a random one, but I remember being at a local footy game in Coburg, Collingwood were playing West Coast at the MCG and I was listening on the radio. They were first and we were last, but we won the game!

Man, I could go on forever, but these are some of my fondest memories of my childhood supporting Collingwood.

Here’s some video for ya, I’m sure you’ve probably seen it but oh well :)

Last edited:
Going to the footy as a young kid in the early 80's was very different to what it is now.
You may be interested to know Chrispiesssss that back then when the final siren sounded you were allowed to run onto the ground.
As a kid it was such an enjoyable way to end the experience. I would stand at the fence waiting for the siren to go and as soon as it went I was over the fence and racing towards Rene Kink to give him a pat on the back as he ran off the ground.
And back then the under 19's would play, then the reserves then the senior game. So if you were ok with getting up a bit early you could watch three Collingwood games in the one day.
Kelloggs had a junior supporters club. Basically if you bought a packet of Kellogs Cornflakes on the side of the packet there was a little application form. All you had to do was fill it in and send it to Kelloggs and you got free entry to 5 games or something like that. As a kid entry fee was taken care of by Kelloggs and when we got to the game (and we would get there early, watch the under 19's and reserves) my friend and I would go around collecting the cans that all the Collingwood piss heads (got bless them) would throw away, (yes you could actually buy cans of beer or even bring your own esky back then), and exchange them for cash at the recycle points they had at all the grounds.
Entry taken care of, money for hot pies and coke taken care of. A great day at the footy. Total cost. Zero. Priceless.
Back then if it rained the surface of the ground become a mud paddock. Sometimes you couldn't tell which team a player played for because their jumper was just covered in mud.
It really was just suburban football at a higher level.
Brilliant.

Going to the footy as a young kid in the early 80's was very different to what it is now.
You may be interested to know Chrispiesssss that back then when the final siren sounded you were allowed to run onto the ground.
As a kid it was such an enjoyable way to end the experience. I would stand at the fence waiting for the siren to go and as soon as it went I was over the fence and racing towards Rene Kink to give him a pat on the back as he ran off the ground.
And back then the under 19's would play, then the reserves then the senior game. So if you were ok with getting up a bit early you could watch three Collingwood games in the one day.
Kelloggs had a junior supporters club. Basically if you bought a packet of Kellogs Cornflakes on the side of the packet there was a little application form. All you had to do was fill it in and send it to Kelloggs and you got free entry to 5 games or something like that. As a kid entry fee was taken care of by Kelloggs and when we got to the game (and we would get there early, watch the under 19's and reserves) my friend and I would go around collecting the cans that all the Collingwood piss heads (got bless them) would throw away, (yes you could actually buy cans of beer or even bring your own esky back then), and exchange them for cash at the recycle points they had at all the grounds.
Entry taken care of, money for hot pies and coke taken care of. A great day at the footy. Total cost. Zero. Priceless.
Back then if it rained the surface of the ground become a mud paddock. Sometimes you couldn't tell which team a player played for because their jumper was just covered in mud.
It really was just suburban football at a higher level.
Brilliant.

Sounds like heaven.

The tribal nature of footy really stands out for me, and how strongly I felt it in the days at Vic Park, that sense of belonging to a defined group. I know I am being nostalgic, and 'side by side' is a marketing slogan which is wearing a bit thin, but there was a definite 'us against them' mentality which prevailed amongst Collingwood fans, especially at the beautiful old ground.:)

I think it is still alive. At the 2002 GF, we were seated in a sea of Brisbane fans, with just a couple of Pies fans (young guys) behind us. My (then) young teenage daughter was with me and when the Pies ran onto the ground she stood up and sang the song at full voice, with her hand on her heart. Even I was surprised! But the Brisbane fans turned on her, taunting her, only to have the Pies boys behind us (who we didnt know) stand up and defend my daughter. They were having none of it, and they let the Brisbane fans know in no uncertain terms. They left my daughter alone after that.:D

The tribal nature of footy really stands out for me, and how strongly I felt it in the days at Vic Park, that sense of belonging to a defined group. I know I am being nostalgic, and 'side by side' is a marketing slogan which is wearing a bit thin, but there was a definite 'us against them' mentality which prevailed amongst Collingwood fans, especially at the beautiful old ground.:)

I think it is still alive. At the 2002 GF, we were seated in a sea of Brisbane fans, with just a couple of Pies fans (young guys) behind us. My (then) young teenage daughter was with me and when the Pies ran onto the ground she stood up and sang the song at full voice, with her hand on her heart. Even I was surprised! But the Brisbane fans turned on her, taunting her, only to have the Pies boys behind us (who we didnt know) stand up and defend my daughter. They were having none of it, and they let the Brisbane fans know in no uncertain terms. They left my daughter alone after that.:D
I wasn't really aware of how intmidating Vic Park was until I went to see us play Richmond there in the mid 80's with a mate who was a Tigers supporter. He was a pretty tough guy, but he was genuinely uncomfortable amidst 25000 Pies fans baying for blood. I don't remember whch year, but Mike Richardson was starring and we led by as much as 12 goals in the 3rd. He begged me to leave at 3/4 time. It was a great day aside from the obligatory parking ticket that I seemed to win every time I went to Vic Park in that period.

Remove this Banner Ad

Universal Love Collingwood for the Millennials.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back