Collingwood- Have your opinions changed?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

BACCS

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts TheBrownDog
May 10, 2009
Just watching them last night and last week, they don't look like the side that steamrolled the Doggies in round 1. Negative flooding tactics last night, along with atrocious kicking for goal costing them the game. While severly underestimating Melbourne the week before and showing no respect. Now my side isn't travelling well either, but Collingwood have been equally as atrocious over the past 2 weeks as my mob was in the first couple of rounds. And while Anthony isn't the greatest player to watch, they could of really have benefited with his sharp shooting last night. Anyone else been having these thoughts, and do you think the jump on them for the flag after round 1 is a little premature? Won't finish Top 4 IMO.

i thought they were over rated from the start of the season, so no, my opinion hasnt changed

they will be lucky to make the 8

The effort last night was phenomenal but in reality their forward line never looked threatening.

They just won a game when playing at their worst and lost a game when playing at their best. The win against the dogs was good - hopefully the hawks took notes.

I just don't think Collingwood has the list to take them all the way. They were much closer to glory with guys like Buckley, Clement and Burns in the team. They also had key forwards that were playing well back then. These guys haven't been replaced.

I think they've played out of their skins over the last few seasons, but still have too many players that are very ordinary: O Bree, Fraser, Maxwell (when made accountable), Davis, Wellingham, Brown, Toovey. You can't carry that many players, you just can't.

Whilst they have some emerging talent and some good senior players they don't have the cattle to challenge for a flag anytime soon .

Malthouse gets the optimum from a pretty average lot .

I have the same opinion I have concerning them for about three years now. Decent hard-working side, will make Finals. Maybe even top 4. But ultimately will be found out and lose.

Should still make the top 4. Their good players aren't playing very well apart from O'Brien. Guys like Sidebottom, Beams and Wellingham have been good so far, so they just need the better players to actually play at their best. FF is a problem though. Anthony overachieved last year imo but he should still be in the side. They need a better version of Leigh Brown.

I agree, but to be honest the Mick Malthouse gameplan is a failure and I think as long as they stick to that the Pies wont win a flag.
That is another thing holding them back, I just don't think they are direct enough with their gameplan. And the flooding last night was not a good spectacle, was never going to win them the game, and made it hard to take advantage of Riewoldt going down. Cloke, Anthony and Medhurst aren't fowards that scare the living daylights out of team before a match, just don't threaten enough. Play well when the team plays well, although Cloke showed something last night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Three weeks is a bit early and they are 2-1 so could hardly say all is lost. In saying that though, how could you ever see them beating St Kilda later this year? The mental scars must run fairly deep there now....

Its seems to be the same old faces that go missing for the Pies when the acid is really on. Still, plenty of time to turn that around and make a claim later in the year if they can stay around the top 4.

lets not forget that they blew flag fancies the dogs away only a fortnight ago so there's definately the potential there. the issue is their consistency and notably the consistency of their experienced players - i'm speaking of didak, davis, medhurst and o'bree. the young kids have been fantastic especially wellingham and beams.

the issue that i have with them is they seem to lack heart. not the club as a whole just the players i mentioned plus some i'm forgetting. they need to muscle up in big games and finals.

i'm still predicting the pies to be thereabouts. i doubt whether they can win the premiership but i'd still have them in the top 5 or so clubs.

i thought they were over rated from the start of the season, so no, my opinion hasnt changed

they will be lucky to make the 8

They'll make the eight, but like most teams will just be making up the numbers. The granny this year, and I've said this from one, will be between St Kilda and the Doggies. Geelong will be there or thereabouts but the rest won't really match those three teams.

Other teams, hopefully including Freo (maybe not) will get some finals experience which will help them next year but I just cant go past St Kilda and the Doggies.

So, no, my opinion hasnt changed

lets not forget that they blew flag fancies the dogs away only a fortnight ago so there's definately the potential there. the issue is their consistency and notably the consistency of their experienced players - i'm speaking of didak, davis, medhurst and o'bree. the young kids have been fantastic especially wellingham and beams.

the issue that i have with them is they seem to lack heart. not the club as a whole just the players i mentioned plus some i'm forgetting. they need to muscle up in big games and finals.

i'm still predicting the pies to be thereabouts. i doubt whether they can win the premiership but i'd still have them in the top 5 or so clubs.

That's pretty spot on..
I'll add Fraser and sometimes Pendles(Needs to take the next step, miles apart from Selwood) to that list that need heart.
And Thomas to the list that have impressed early..

pies are clearly gone. can't see how they will possibly even make the 8 from here. they have only managed to pump everyone's early flag fancy in the dogs, got over the line on a day when about 6 players were switched on, and then bad kicking for goal has cost them a regulation victory over the team with the best defence in the comp and probably still the 2nd best team going around. no positives there whatseover

i love listening to all the peanuts on here writing them off after last night. what did they do wrong except for kick badly at goal? they kept st kilda, with roo up and running in the 1st half to 4 goals. they only allowed them another 2 in the 3rd when the pies themselves should have iced the game but for wasteful disposal inside 50, then they were overwhelmed in the 1st 10 mins of the last by a team pumped up to make a statement with 2 of their leaders down

pies will be top 4 and based on last night will be a massive threat to whoever they play in sept

Good side beaten by a better side.

will make the 8

could have won last night if they kicked straight.

St Kilda had 1% more passion and 1% more poise under pressure and that was the difference.

A ripper of a game.

pies will be top 4 and based on last night will be a massive threat to whoever they play in sept
How can you say they will be a 'massive threat' based on last night? That is no way near the same team that played round 1 and beat the Dogs comfortably.

if we didn't beat the doggies in round 1, i would be pretty worried...

without indulging too much in the past (3 rounds ago), i think we have the capacity to do good things when we get our act together ...

i'm sure things will fall into place again.. BUT the question is WHEN this will happen? and whether we can do this consistently enough...

it's hard to understand how a team that played so well in round 1 can be so poor in round 2 and 3..

most pies supporters would've accepted a 2-1 start to the season... but the way we're going about it at the moment just isn't right...

lets just hope that our conversion rate picks up next week... nothing deflates a team more than missing opportunities when the game is up for grab

They are a good side that is made to look better by a rigged draw and a whole heap of spin.

I am certainly not an apologist for Collingwood but their draw this year has them playing Doggies, Saints, Cats and Hawks twice plus the normal blockbusters against Carlton and the Dons. Based on the first 4 double ups, they will be lucky to finish in the top 4.

Hard to argue at the moment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back