What's your advice to Richmond with their rebuild?

What strategy would you use?

• Strip the list - trade out all the players of worth above 25 and hit the draft heavily

• Leave the list - use the draft picks we have and keep the mature players to teach/protect

• Trade heavily - trade out players not essential to our culture/future structure and draft early

• Bring in players - over the next few years, head hunt players to fill roles, leadership and culture

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

maximise every players value that wants out this year, spend the first couple years focusing on the draft and younger players, do what Lions did with Luke Hodge and hope that their coach is the right guy.

They have to get it together quick before the Tas team come into it.

Much of the trading is really out of our hands; players want out so we have to get the best deals for them. Bolton in still on a long term contract and so is Rioli. We could just tell them that they are required players but at the moment their value is at their highest. If we wait, their form could drop and they could go for next to nothing. Alternatively, they might reinvigorate the team and lead the next batch of young draftees to future premiership success. Who knows?

One things for sure, I'm glad I'm not the one making these long term decisions because Richmond's future inexplicably rides on them making the right call. :drunk:

The same as for anyone.

Don't leave it too late.

Who are the few mid-career leaders, especially off-field, that will be there for 3-6 years? Some of them there until a few years into the climb back.
The ones who push everyone in the long pre-season slog, or can see something in an inexperienced player they can try mid-game (e.g. a positioning thing at contest or whatever). The ones who can drive the intangible "culture" when all else is going to be at a low ebb.
They are the untradables. Experience is needed, as is guidance in how to be a professional footballer. Its these guys, as much as the coaching staff, that will accelerate the young players development.

Older guys, unless they fill a hole in a line with no experience, and mid-career that don't fit into that group are all up for trade. Even if that mid-career player is your best on-field. If they won't aid development and can be traded for high picks or somebody who will lead they are dispensable - at the right price.
Not necessarily all who are dispensable get traded or delisted, but if value is offered; jump.

Take the best player available early in round one of the draft, even if its not a type you're short on. At worst, they'll be trade bait to fill a pending gap if nobody picked up later proves up to it. More likely, the person they replace over the next two years will be trade bait.

Oh, and hope for some luck, e.g. that if you get fresh coaches in they won't be out again a year later. Stability is vital, the Noble and Shaw turnover really smashed North.

I reckon let Bolton go. He’s a cream player, not the cake. Plays a lot for Bolton, not for Richmond, and always wants the fancy goal but doesn’t actually have the composure to finish it.

Baker attracts a good pick, Graham a nothing pick but also a nothing player.

Try keep Rioli. He’s contracted, consistent, stable on-field and I reckon a good unassuming quiet leader. I’d keep Broad - don’t trade him either.

Grimes retires. Pickett 50/50, depends on court but inclined to say goes.

So in this scenario you might end up with 3 extra first rounders (might lose a 2nd if the Bolton deal was 2 firsts for Bolton + a 2nd) but still have Nank, Lynch, Balta, Short, Rioli, Prestia, Taranto, Hopper, Vlastuin, Broad as best 22 senior players who have either played in a flag or been in a grand final, with McIntosh being kept on the list but a depth player now.

That’s not stripping the list to the point of having Melbourne 2010s/North 2020s era.

Gives them 4 first rounders this year, plus probably a top 3 pick next year - 5 first rounders in 2 years will be big.

And then **** the off-field cap, you’re Richmond, get the coaches in & build big. Develop develop develop.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just remember Caro on footy classified last year saying the Tigers didn't need to rebuild and could rebuild on the run mid table like Geelong and how great all their youth was

Amusing now. Delusional. Spoon speaks for itself.

Have to strip and start again now. A spoon is a spoon

Just remember Caro on footy classified last year saying the Tigers didn't need to rebuild and could rebuild on the run mid table like Geelong and how great all their youth was

Well, you could do that if you have infinite cap but tigs being a central vic big club too many pairs of eyes on them, geelong on the other hand...

Lynch is cooked and Hopper is a legitimate hack.

What are you smoking
Wow! You're really, really angry at Richmond. Is it because they're easily the best club of the last decade?
I'll never get why a sport makes some people so bitter. I'm embarrassed for you.

truth be told, Caro did not know that the list would crumble in a heap with debilitating and constant injuries.
i agree.. she is wrong
our youth is the worst group in the league.
we need to trade hard and invest in quality youth

Wow! You're really, really angry at Richmond. Is it because they're easily the best club of the last decade?
I'll never get why a sport makes some people so bitter. I'm embarrassed for you.
Not at all . Tigers have been amazing. I think Gale is a legend. Full respect.

I just think the comp is set up in a certain way so that clubs have no choice after three flags than to go back and start again.

There is a price to be paid for those flags when it comes kes to list management.

Just the way the comp is set up.

I'm just arguing against tigers fans who think they could somehow avoid the inevitable based on some kind of exceptionalism.

Well we now have the first pick at least. Given the evenness of the draft and no standout best player though, I don't think its as big of a leg up as the last few years. The first pick in the second round the day later, after everyone has chosen their first pick, is almost as valuable.

Next week we see who actually wants to stay and who is off to other teams.

Remove this Banner Ad

What's your advice to Richmond with their rebuild?

Back