News Collingwood Magpies Doubted Jarryd Blair

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty interesting read this.

Showed that even Mick was doubtful that Blair could make it but inspired him by showing how Rodan was able to be successful.

Also was interesting that when Blair debuted they were instead thinking of promoting Rounds except for injury.

I'm really loving Blairy. Has so much ticker and determination, you know he will do everything in his power to become as good as he can be even though of his physical impediments.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...ted-jarryd-blair/story-e6frf9jf-1226042656038

A FRANK admission by Collingwood coach Mick Malthouse has illustrated the stunning progression of small forward Jarryd Blair. Malthouse said this time last year the Magpies doubted the then rookie would ever make it at the elite AFL level.

Pretty interesting read this.

Showed that even Mick was doubtful that Blair could make it but inspired him by showing how Rodan was able to be successful.

Also was interesting that when Blair debuted they were instead thinking of promoting Rounds except for injury.

I'm really loving Blairy. Has so much ticker and determination, you know he will do everything in his power to become as good as he can be even though of his physical impediments.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...ted-jarryd-blair/story-e6frf9jf-1226042656038

he's a pit bull, love seeing him tackle players by basically throwing himself onto a player.
'he's tossable'

Mick said a similar thing last night on the Game Plan on One HD also.

He stated that no one rated him, either at Collingwood or at any other club, and that's why he was rookied, but that half way through last year he got his chance, and hasn't looked back.

It also shows how lucky some footballers are, if Luke Rounds was fit last year, he may well have played in a premiership, but instead, he is struggling at VFL level while Blair thrives at senior level.

You have to love Blairy.:thumbsu::thumbsu:

Mick said a similar thing last night on the Game Plan on One HD also.

He stated that no one rated him, either at Collingwood or at any other club, and that's why he was rookied, but that half way through last year he got his chance, and hasn't looked back.

It also shows how lucky some footballers are, if Luke Rounds was fit last year, he may well have played in a premiership, but instead, he is struggling at VFL level while Blair thrives at senior level.

You have to love Blairy.:thumbsu::thumbsu:

I am so happy Blairy got his chance, he was much better then Rounds overall in the VFL, Rounds showed some signes last year buy way to inconsistant to deserve an AFL game. I dont know people doubted Blair as he was BOG every game in the VFL.

not to the detail of todays article, but this story is one which has been around since last years finals. a great story too.

i recall when ball hurt his hammy during the finals and there were doubts about him playing. discussion was who would replace him, not so much in the 22, but in the in & under role. despite his limited games, blair was the one, as he had already showed his willingness to put his body on the line to win the ball.

a great little player.

Probably doesn't deserve a "news" tag - Every team doubted Jarryd Blair.

That's why he went in the second round of the rookie draft despite winning the Morrish Medal as an U/18 - Obviously, every club knew of him as an underage player, but doubted his ability to make it as an AFL player.

If we knew he was going to be as good as he is now, then we would have drafted him higher - At least in the first round of the rookie draft, rather than Tristan Francis.

Good on him for proving every other team a little bit more wrong than he's proven Collingwood.

natural footballers > natural athletes

if you saw hampson and blair walking alongside each other and hadnt seen them play footy , youd no doubt take the big guy.

I think everyone doubted Blair.
In fact I think it's human nature to doubt all players until they prove us wrong, then we embrace them like long lost sons every one.

I give you....."The Anvil" as exhibit A.

^^
Have to disagree there Ed D. A top 10 pick he may have been, but many of us thought for a long time that he wasn't going to make it, and was a dud in the making in fact.
He looked largely hopeless early on as a forward (I still shudder when I think of that stuttering run up and kick on goal against Carlton:(), and it wasn't until he went back to the VFL and "discovered" himself at CHB that he turned the corner.
Many (rightly) believe he will now be a 200 game player for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Loved him as a VFL player, still never thought he'd make it as an AFL player though. Even now I still have doubts, but he is extracting the best from himself which is all you can ask. He has improved out of sight since his VFL days though it must be said.

Loved him as a VFL player, still never thought he'd make it as an AFL player though. Even now I still have doubts, but he is extracting the best from himself which is all you can ask. He has improved out of sight since his VFL days though it must be said.

Doubt he will make it???

He is a premiership player and constantly amongst our best this year so far. Pretty sure he has made it

Just another classic example of Hine nailing the rookie draft, yet again.

Gee, we do it better than everyone else.

Maxwell
O'Brien
Blair
Wellingham
Macaffer
Toovey
Clarke (definitely a player had he stayed).

^^
Have to disagree there Ed D. A top 10 pick he may have been, but many of us thought for a long time that he wasn't going to make it, and was a dud in the making in fact.
He looked largely hopeless early on as a forward (I still shudder when I think of that stuttering run up and kick on goal against Carlton:(), and it wasn't until he went back to the VFL and "discovered" himself at CHB that he turned the corner.
Many (rightly) believe he will now be a 200 game player for us.
That's rubbish. It was only outsiders who didn't rate Reid and from the sounds of it you were one of them. Internally the club was always very impressed with him. Blair on the other hand wasn't drafted by any club in the National draft, was overlooked by every club in the rookie draft until our 2nd round pick, and then even the Collingwood staff doubted he'd make it. The only doubting of Ben Reid were from some supporters who had high expectations because of him being a top 10 pick. He was a KPP who was always going to take time to develop, and add to that he had injuries early on in his career.

mdc summed up Blair perfectly in the player review last week:

Jarryd Blair gets shit done.

I havn't seen a better way of describing him.

That is perfect. And with the many bigger names around him he will get shit done all season long. Teams can't afford to try and shut him down due to sidey, didak, krak, etc. down there as well.

Love Blair,Maybe a few of his team mates should take a leaf outta his book.Not saying his team mates are struggling,Just they should realize a good thing doesn't last forever,and make the most of it:thumbsu:

The guys I doubted the most, Blair, Toovey etc give me the most joy at the moment when I go to games. Absolutely loving the way they play - we are so good right now as these 18th-22nd players in our team are just kicking arse, and its not because they ride on anyones coattails, they genuinely are just having a crack and progressing as footballers.

Blair played in a pre-season game against Richmond in 2010 I think it was at Optus Oval, had one of the worst kicking days ever. Wrote him off pretty much based on that at the time as he didn't have much else going for him, how wrong could I be.

Doubt he will make it???

He is a premiership player and constantly amongst our best this year so far. Pretty sure he has made it

Goldsack is a premiership player as well.

And yeah, he is playing well this year in a team that is absolutely flying. I do think he'll end up carving out a pretty decent career now, but I certainly don't think he has made it yet just because of those two things you mentioned.

Goldsack is a premiership player as well.

And yeah, he is playing well this year in a team that is absolutely flying. I do think he'll end up carving out a pretty decent career now, but I certainly don't think he has made it yet just because of those two things you mentioned.
With Blair its all about total commitment to the ball and the contest. If he keeps up that sort of attitude NO coach is gunna drop him to the magoos.

Well perhaps. . . . . our dear friend Ross (of the Ball-less) Lyons. :D:D:D

Remove this Banner Ad

News Collingwood Magpies Doubted Jarryd Blair

Remove this Banner Ad

Back