News Collingwood News & Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Reading this article and then reading today's in the paper about Steele and I do wonder why we aren't trying Steele as a forward pocket.

I think he could still be incredibly useful there and even genuinely dangerous

He hasn't lost his smarts or ability to find/track the ball. Beau, Bobby and Jamie could all play further up the field and we have other options for the wing
Move a bloke away from the position where his elite aerobic running is a key strength, into a role where it isn't really necessary, whilst explosive speed is a requirement?

Move a bloke away from the position where his elite aerobic running is a key strength, into a role where it isn't really necessary, whilst explosive speed is a requirement?

There's no point being able to "run all day" if you're not very fast, very strong and your disposal is literally costing numerous goals

We already had years of Tom Phillips, we don't need Sidebottom's legacy ruined by letting him become Tom Phillips in his twilight years.

Not sure why he needs explosive speed as a crumbing forward pocket? His ability to read the fall of the ball as well as the ball in flight can help make up for that, as has Pendlebury's smarts helped make up for his lack of speed in a midfield role, where most would argue speed is a massive advantage

There's no point being able to "run all day" if you're not very fast, very strong and your disposal is literally costing numerous goals

We already had years of Tom Phillips, we don't need Sidebottom's legacy ruined by letting him become Tom Phillips in his twilight years.

Not sure why he needs explosive speed as a crumbing forward pocket? His ability to read the fall of the ball as well as the ball in flight can help make up for that, as has Pendlebury's smarts helped make up for his lack of speed in a midfield role, where most would argue speed is a massive advantage
Not very fast? Over what distance? Sidebottom has been an elite runner his entire career and I am betting he is still putting out big numbers. His kind of running strength(hint: its not over 20m) doesn't suddenly decline in early 30s.

If his problems are as bad as you suggest(I say they aren't), then he goes out of the team.

I am not sure I can help you if you are, "Not sure why he needs explosive speed as a crumbing forward pocket"? Think about that.

Five games ago, he helped win us the Grand Final!
He’s not finished yet.

Not very fast? Over what distance? Sidebottom has been an elite runner his entire career and I am betting he is still putting out big numbers. His kind of running strength(hint: its not over 20m) doesn't suddenly decline in early 30s.

If his problems are as bad as you suggest(I say they aren't), then he goes out of the team.

I am not sure I can help you if you are, "Not sure why he needs explosive speed as a crumbing forward pocket"? Think about that.

But...he's not fast. I mean, I'd argue he was never technically known as a "fast player" at any stage of his career really. But I guess those around him are getting faster so maybe it's making him look slower.

I also agree with you, he should be out of the team if he's not helping the team anymore, but I don't think he'd ever be dropped. He's going to be selected more often than not until he retires and he says he wants to play again next year. I personally think he could be a really handy forward pocket.

Plenty of players have changed roles late in their career. It's not like it's out of the ordinary. Also no, I don't think you need "explosive" speed to be a crumbing forward. I reckon being able to read the fall/drop of the ball is arguably even more important.

Five games ago, he helped win us the Grand Final!
He’s not finished yet.

Can we please not do that reductive thing so many here do?

He took a mark on a wing and received a 50m penalty. Outside that goal, he didn't do a great deal in the Grand Final.

But...he's not fast. I mean, I'd argue he was never technically known as a "fast player" at any stage of his career really. But I guess those around him are getting faster so maybe it's making him look slower.

I also agree with you, he should be out of the team if he's not helping the team anymore, but I don't think he'd ever be dropped. He's going to be selected more often than not until he retires and he says he wants to play again next year. I personally think he could be a really handy forward pocket.

Plenty of players have changed roles late in their career. It's not like it's out of the ordinary. Also no, I don't think you need "explosive" speed to be a crumbing forward. I reckon being able to read the fall/drop of the ball is arguably even more important.

He took a mark on a wing and received a 50m penalty. Outside that goal, he didn't do a great deal in the Grand Final.
He is an elite runner. Always has been and still is. As for the rest of your post, well, you are just panicking yet again.

Steele did ok in his time on the ground on Sunday(when we were under the pump) and he did plenty in the GF.

Steele wasn’t best on ground but had a good game. The goal wasn’t his only contribution.

I don’t understand why so many people are so quick to write him off. Plenty wanted him traded a couple of years ago.

Thank god that didn’t happen!

Cousin of Daicos, this is what you said about Steele in 2017. I think you got it wrong.

“My patience has kinda run out for him.

I know he's a gut runner and I"m aware of how well he reads the play, but is there a point to it when he completely undoes all that with his dinky kick turnovers? Which seem to be happening with more and more frequency?

Also, he's been in the system for what, 7 years now? Why is he still so easy to outbody by just about anyone? His tackles seem easy to break too.

My issue is, his output and skill level for ME, don't match his reputation.”

Reading this article and then reading today's in the paper about Steele and I do wonder why we aren't trying Steele as a forward pocket.

I think he could still be incredibly useful there and even genuinely dangerous

He hasn't lost his smarts or ability to find/track the ball. Beau, Bobby and Jamie could all play further up the field and we have other options for the wing
Deprives us of all his defensive running. He gets to a lot of contests deep in our backline

The changes to their roles were already done and in place for this season, so we had them locked down.

Those roles didn't include Wright's role as he announced that he was leaving a few months later.
Exactly. But the point I was making was the roles they had locked down for this year were not as assistant coaches like they had in 2023. I understand they, along with many others, including Kelly have taken on extra responsibilities in GW's absence.

Cousin of Daicos, this is what you said about Steele in 2017. I think you got it wrong.

I know he's a gut runner and I"m aware of how well he reads the play, but is there a point to it when he completely undoes all that with his dinky kick turnovers? Which seem to be happening with more and more frequency?

Also, he's been in the system for what, 7 years now? Why is he still so easy to outbody by just about anyone? His tackles seem easy to break too.

So I guess he has been running with this line of thinking for what, 7 years now? It might even be right eventually. But more likely is the normal path for absolute champs of the game - they leave on their terms.

So I guess he has been running with this line of thinking for what, 7 years now? It might even be right eventually. But more likely is the normal path for absolute champs of the game - they leave on their terms.
Precisely.
Steele is a Collingwood legend.
This is undeniable.

Legends get more time to turn around form.

Eventually, Steele’s time will come. Might be this season, might be next.

When it does, he will go out with the dignity he deserves.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Steele was All Australian in 2018 - the year after the post.

At least I'm consistent

I said he's a gut runner and reads the play well. Which is what I said above too lol

I guess I couldn't have known he was going to have a Brownlow level year the year after

At least I'm consistent

I said he's a gut runner and reads the play well. Which is what I said above too lol

I guess I couldn't have known he was going to have a Brownlow level year the year after
Consistently wrong about Steele.

At least I'm consistent

If your campaign for Steele's premature retirement had succeeded, we would have lost last year's flag and you would have been right all along.

Here's another one for NMBB from our esteemed media department:

The Sidebottom’s
🥰
Great to have Ned Sidebottom down to the club for his first training session today, alongside sister Matilda!

Here's another one for NMBB from our esteemed media department:

The Sidebottom’s
🥰
Great to have Ned Sidebottom down to the club for his first training session today, alongside sister Matilda!
I'm trying to go to s'leep - this' isnt helping

Tarkyn Lockyer was a strong force until his greatest assets, endurance and running, was taken from him and he had to play a position. In his case, no doubt someone younger and better took over his role. If we are going to park Sidebottom in a forward role, do we have someone who will perform better on his wing?

Tarkyn Lockyer was a strong force until his greatest assets, endurance and running, was taken from him and he had to play a position. In his case, no doubt someone younger and better took over his role. If we are going to park Sidebottom in a forward role, do we have someone who will perform better on his wing?

You don’t reckon Lippa or even Beau could do it?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back