News Collingwood News & Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting

I don’t buy a lot of merchandise, but when I went to look into getting a Premiers cap there was way way too much choice. It felt like there were a kazillion different style and colour combinations. In my mind a Premiership cap is a Premiership cap, it’s a symbol of tribalism and success, it’s not a symbol of individual expression. IMO there should only be one style / colour and the only variation should be (1) meet sizing requirements (kids, adults) and (2) year … I’m OK for the 2023 Collingwood Premiers cap to look different to the 2025 Collingwood Premiers cap.
I ****ing hate it when we win flags and they give us varied ways to revel in it.

Release a range of sneakers dedicated to Nick.

I know this is a pisstake …

… but I think the club generally leave the idolising of current individual players exclusively up to the fans these days - they learnt from the mistake of naming the kids membership program after Dale Thomas. You never know what players end up doing in future.

I ****ing hate it when we win flags and they give us varied ways to revel in it.

LOL.

In my case I didn’t end up buying anything. Sometimes giving consumers choice isn’t a good thing.

Interesting

I don’t buy a lot of merchandise, but when I went to look into getting a Premiers cap there was way way too much choice. It felt like there were a kazillion different style and colour combinations. In my mind a Premiership cap is a Premiership cap, it’s a symbol of tribalism and success, it’s not a symbol of individual expression. IMO there should only be one style / colour and the only variation should be (1) meet sizing requirements (kids, adults) and (2) year … I’m OK with the 2025 Collingwood Premiers cap looking materially different to the 2023 Collingwood Premiers cap.

So you are not a good decision maker is my take away lol.

But it wasn't about caps. Their range of clothing was so limited.

Interesting

I don’t buy a lot of merchandise, but when I went to look into getting a Premiers cap there was way way too much choice. It felt like there were a kazillion different style and colour combinations. In my mind a Premiership cap is a Premiership cap, it’s a symbol of tribalism and success, it’s not a symbol of individual expression. IMO there should only be one style / colour and the only variation should be (1) meet sizing requirements (kids, adults) and (2) year … I’m OK with the 2025 Collingwood Premiers cap looking materially different to the 2023 Collingwood Premiers cap.
Two colours makes sense, an initial neutral colour that can be used by either club immediately after the grand final thereby reducing waste and a second one in club colours available sometime later.

Two colours makes sense, an initial neutral colour that can be used by either club immediately after the grand final thereby reducing waste and a second one in club colours available sometime later.

I think that’s fair.

But still, I’d be perfectly OK if they only sold the style that Bobby Hill wore on the dais when accepting his Norm Smith. It wouldn’t matter if it was purple with orange sequins, the Premiership Cap is the Premiership Cap. Success defines style, it’s not the other way around.

* Quite bizarrely, of all the styles and colours of caps that the club shop sold online, the actual style worn by the players during the presentation wasn’t amongst them.

Pies to Adidas talk getting louder.

The word going around is they are looking to get back into the market and Pies are one of the clubs. We apparently looked into Puma but settled on Adidas.

Source is someone from inside Puma.

GOD I hope this is true. I miss Adidas so much. Their on field gear is simply unmatched

Nike are cold ATM.

They did basically zero after our Premiership.

Nike have been a massive disappointment.

Yep, Nike have been really terrible for official on field gear. Their off field stuff has been good though. But ultimately the on field is what matters most imo

Out of interest, what do you think Nike could / should have done?

Actually caring about being the gear supplier for Collingwood would be a decent start

Their on field gear doesn't look great (given we're talking Nike here), it has a strange fit and most of it is hard to find or comes very late.

The Gold Logo jumpers came almost 6 months after we actually won the flag and was so clearly an afterthought that they used iron on rubber gold logos on existing normal jumpers as opposed to creating actual Premiership H&A Jumpers.

I think that’s fair.

But still, I’d be perfectly OK if they only sold the style that Bobby Hill wore on the dais when accepting his Norm Smith. It wouldn’t matter if it was purple with orange sequins, the Premiership Cap is the Premiership Cap. Success defines style, it’s not the other way around.

* Quite bizarrely, of all the styles and colours of caps that the club shop sold online, the actual style worn by the players during the presentation wasn’t amongst them.
Yeah, when I think premiership caps (and t-shirts) it’s the one the players wore on the day that stick in my mind. They were available for very limited time via the club and at least for the t-shirts instore only.

Potentially a balance between exclusivity vs overall sales.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Collingwood News & Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Back