News Collingwood News & Media

Remove this Banner Ad

The support group said the pain of the scandal was “simply too great to tolerate” and “causing great emotional and spiritual harm to us and our people”.

Fair enough

But where's the scandal nothings been proven

“By making this statement we are in no way suggesting that the allegations are true, only that they have been made in documents before the court".

they've gone early which was my point

“By making this statement we are in no way suggesting that the allegations are true, only that they have been made in documents before the court".

The scandal is the media attention it has already created, their organisation Dardi Munwurro being named in the court documents & Kelly being accused of calling Aboriginal elder Aunty Carol — the wife of Dardi Munwurro chief executive Alan Thorpe — a “dumb old bitch”.

Basically Robbo said:

fat-guy.gif

Maybe someone who has a HS subscription can post the transcript of the article :

The Pies’ former head of First Nations strategy demanded at least $250,000 to drop a wrongful dismissal claim against the club after accusing its chief executive of a series of racial slurs and physical attacks, sources have revealed.
But Collingwood came back during conciliation talks with a settlement offer of about $20,000.
The fresh revelations over the latest racism storm come after Dardi Munwurro, an Indigenous family violence group, on Thursday announced it was dumping the club as a partner – “effective immediately” – in the wake of the storm.
The support group said the pain of the storm was “simply too great to tolerate” and “causing great emotional and spiritual harm to us and our people”.
In explosive court documents filed in a federal court on Monday and revealed by the Herald Sun, club chief Craig Kelly was accused by staffer Mark Cleaver of a series of slurs on Indigenous people, Asians and Jews, as well as physical attacks.

It can now be revealed that prior to the documents being lodged, both sides made financial offers in order to settle the case without resorting to court action.

Sources say Mr Cleaver asked for more than $250,000 in the conciliation sessions overseen by the Fair Work Commission several weeks ago.

But the Pies, whose internal probe had already cleared club boss Mr Kelly of wrongdoing, would only offer about $20,000.

Defending the club’s handling of Mr Cleaver’s complaints and his subsequent sacking, Collingwood president Jeff Browne declared on Wednesday: “We’re backing Craig Kelly in on this and we intend to fight these proceedings and see them through to a Judgement.

“I’m not prepared to compromise the proceedings by paying any amount of money to make it go away.”

Sources close to the club said Mr Browne’s comments related to the belief that “now there is no incentive to push ahead with any amount”.

The Magpies have engaged top law firm HWL Ebsworth to help lead its defence in the case.

Asked about the settlement offers, a Maurice Blackburn spokesman said: “A confidential process was engaged in at the Fair Work Commission and we can’t discuss what happened there. The reasons for the termination of Mr Cleaver will be a matter for the trial.”

Money is a very good healer. Lol

I am glad the club denied that request. What a hustler.
It isn’t ideal that they made a counter offer. The fact that they only offered him 20K suggests that they thought he could be easily bought, and that there was potentially something untoward that took place.

Last edited:
It isn’t ideal that they made a counter offer. The fact that they only offered him 20K suggests that they thought he could be easily bought, and that there was potentially something untoward that took place.
Disagree. $20K as a settlement offer is quite minimal, not much more than standard (especially if the former employee was still in his probationary period) and would most likely comprise some extra weeks termination pay, as a goodwill gesture. No implication of guilt on the club's part it would seem.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Disagree. $20K as a settlement offer is quite minimal, not much more than standard (especially if the former employee was still in his probationary period) and would most likely comprise some extra weeks termination pay, as a goodwill gesture. No implication of guilt on the club's part it would seem.
Any counter offer is questionable in my view. Once Cleaver had stated his demand of $250K, they should have told him to **** off and we’ll see you in court.

Last edited:

Absolutely they have gone early.

To prevent further suffering and hardship to their vulnerable clients.

The process of investigation being played out in the media is what is causing the issue to their clients, not whether or not the claims are true.

Very admirable and difficult decision they have made.

Would hope their is potential to work together in the future.

More likely they thought the claims were spurious, but they'd happily pay $20k to resolve the matter

More likely they thought the claims were spurious, but they'd happily pay $20k to resolve the matter
Even someone with zero integrity would be hard pressed to make up all those allegations. I can’t help but think that there is an element of truth to some of the claims.

Last edited:
The support group said the pain of the scandal was “simply too great to tolerate” and “causing great emotional and spiritual harm to us and our people”.

Fair enough
Actually, maybe it’s not.

If they’re really concerned about the exposure and pain, walk away silently without a press release.
Seems to me a little more kerosene on the fire.

As for the $20k settlement.
The no win no fee guys would hardly be able to pay their publicist with that “win”. They need a bigger number for the maths to work.
I reckon Cleaver might be getting punked by his lawyer as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Collingwood News & Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Back