News Collingwood News & Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Murphy is set to return to the club in an off-field development role to begin with, including a focus on welfare.
Collingwood is expected to make changes to its football department across the off-season after failing to qualify for September.

Justin Leppitsch stepped up as head of strategy, innovation and list management when Graham Wright went on sabbatical and is now set to become permanent list boss ahead of the trade period.

Former Adelaide defender Andy Otten will coach the VFL side in 2025, stepping up to replace Josh Fraser in the role.

Fraser is expected to continue as the Collingwood’s head of development.

Otten joined the Magpies as defensive development coach at the end of 2022 and has worked closely with the younger players across his first two seasons at the club.

Murphy is set to spend time helping the next generation of defenders at the club.

It's great he won't be lost to the club - such a quality person.

Both Is Good The Road To El Dorado GIF
Well JFN has the next best thing in a twin 🤣

Hopefully Murphy's number one job is to develop someone to be just like him with less propensity for head knocks 🥺

It's Peter McKenna's birthday today!
One of my favourites.
I spoke to him at a high school reunion one year - he is a perfect gentleman.

One of my favourites.

Yep. Best bloke ever to chat with.
Genuine human being.

Happy birthday Peter 🎂

One of my favourites.

He was an absolute superstar. Still the best kick for goal I've seen in a Collingwood jumper.

Last edited:
One of my favourites.

Incredible player and good, humble person. A true role model.

Collingwood president Jeff Browne has told the club board of his intention to step down from his position at an unspecified time, as the Magpies begin the task of identifying a successor.

But Browne does not intend to give up the Collingwood presidency until he is satisfied the club is in good shape for his successor, which could be within the next 12 months or earlier, depending on how he views the club’s position, according to three Collingwood sources familiar with the board manoeuvres, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

Browne has indicated he will step down if and when he feels the Magpies are in good shape “with things in order,” according to a club source.
Current board member and wealthy funds manager Barry Carp is viewed by the board as the most likely successor internally, if he decides to pursue the presidency once Browne, the former Nine boss and AFL head lawyer, departs.

The timing of Browne’s exit is unclear, the sources confirmed, but the internal expectation is that he will leave within 12 months. He is up for re-election at the end of this year, when his election would be assured given Collingwood’s storied 2023 premiership and the club’s rise under senior coach Craig McRae.
The succession of the presidency was discussed at a recent board meeting. While former 1980s and ’90s player Paul Tuddenham signalled an interest in taking the presidency, sources say Tuddenham – the son of former Collingwood great Des Tuddenham – is now unlikely to be candidate. Collingwood’s members elect the board for three-year terms, with the board electing the president.

Carp and finance industry executive Renee Roberts are due for re-election this December, alongside Browne, the trio having joined the board at the end of 2021 in a board shake-up.

Browne is also one of the most influential of the 18 club presidents, who have asserted more say in the competition in the past few years and sought to shift the power balance from a dominant AFL administration towards the clubs. He is a close ally of Sydney president Andrew Pridham and has been a driver, with Essendon president David Barham, of the AFL’s concussion indemnity plan.

Browne has become more heavily involved in the workings of Collingwood’s football department recently, having stepped in an attempt to smooth over significant tensions between now-departed football boss Graham Wright and chief executive Craig Kelly. Wright opted to leave the club – for which he played in a premiership alongside Kelly – following a club-paid sabbatical that lasted the duration of the 2024 season.

Browne and the board’s football director, Paul Licuria, will also have a say in the appointment of Wright’s replacement as general manager of football operations.

Browne and Kelly opted to let Wright take leave and re-organised the football department during the season in Wright’s absence, with senior assistant coaches Justin Leppitsch (list management) and Brendon Bolton (football operations) taking over Wrights’ duties, backed up by Kelly, the influential former player agent and events management company boss who took over as CEO early in 2023.

The absence of an experienced football general manager – which saw the coaches re-organised, as Leppitsch and Bolton changed roles – caused some unease and friction within Collingwood’s football department this season, as the Magpies failed to make the finals, finishing ninth. Leppitsch has since been appointed as head of list management and strategy. Bolton will not be a candidate for the football GM role.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Um excuse me? Browne can **** right off immediately if he did anything other than manage relationships!

WTF is with our club’s administrators thinking their Stephen Wells? Surely we learnt our lesson post Ed and the Beams debacle. Surely? Licuria and Kelly are the only board members that should have a presence in the football department.

“Browne has become more heavily involved in the workings of Collingwood’s football department recently, having stepped in an attempt to smooth over significant tensions between now-departed football boss Graham Wrigh and chief executive Craig Kelly. Wright opted to leave the club – for which he played in a premiership alongside Kelly – following a club-paid sabbatical that lasted the duration of the 2024 season.”

Um excuse me? Browne can **** right off immediately if he did anything other than manage relationships!

WTF is with our club’s administrators thinking their Stephen Wells? Surely we learnt our lesson post Ed and the Beams debacle. Surely? Licuria and Kelly are the only board members that should have a presence in the football department.
I think you are misinterpreting what is being said.

I think it just means that he helped smooth over some relationship issues, not that he played an active part in any football related decisions.

I think you are misinterpreting what is being said.

I think it just means that he helped smooth over some relationship issues, not that he played an active part in any football related decisions.
That would definitely prevent me ranting!

Jeez Pies, Wright gone, Browne going (understandably with his health), and a court case coming up over Kelly (which may not get far but it’s still in front of us).

Can’t we have some stability? We managed two years of it and snagged a flag. How about five years? Four? Any at all?

Jeez Pies, Wright gone, Browne going (understandably with his health), and a court case coming up over Kelly (which may not get far but it’s still in front of us).

Can’t we have some stability? We managed two years of it and snagged a flag. How about five years? Four? Any at all?
One day at time sweet Jesus....

How long was Ed President?

Remove this Banner Ad

News Collingwood News & Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Back