News Collingwood News & Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Which part of the story indicated he had a health problem? Also which part of my post indicated his health should be factored into incorrect governance?

As stated as long as his involvement was limited to managing relationships I’ve got zero issue. Anything further than that and no health issue would change my view.

You’re a dickhead. The guy is crook. Show some respect.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Thanks for sharing Domus. I know several people who know Greg Swann and they said you could not meet a better, kinder person with integrity and that he would have been thrilled that you took the time to write to the club.

On SM-N975F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yep. It seems a few people on this forum who have met him feel the same way. Lovely man.

22 years? But I dont regard his last 10 or so years as particularly stable, if that's the point of your post. We went through several CEOs and GMs in that time, including captain's picks by Ed. And some very questionable governance.

Interesting comments by Ed on his podcast this week …

“… I’ve always screamed, why don’t we cut the list because there’s too many passengers on there. I notoriously called them bread roll eaters because whenever you walk in the room they’re eating all the food … [I wanted to say] get off the table, I want Pendlebury on there, not you … there’s a certain coterie of players who want to be there for the lifestyle of football as opposed to making it happen …”

We get to this time of the year and us punters argue about how certain fringe players should or shouldn’t get cut or get another chance. We base our entire assessment on a couple of hours of footy each weekend. But what we don’t see is who is doing everything behind the scenes to get the best out of themselves (and will get better), versus those who are cruising through living the dream but not really putting in the effort.

Quote from above is from 25:40 mark …

Last edited:
22 years? But I dont regard his last 10 or so years as particularly stable, if that's the point of your post. We went through several CEOs and GMs in that time, including captain's picks by Ed. And some very questionable governance.
Ed gave (his) game away a couple of years ago when he stated "I ran Cwood for 22 years".
Problem right there if he saw himself as "running" the place.

A snow plough president?

......Interesting comments by Ed on his podcast this week …

“… I’ve always screamed, why don’t we cut the list because there’s too many passengers on there....
Maybe too many on a list, but almost certainly too many lists ie teams and about to get worse

Better than competitions based on the financial strength of their owners.

Not sure exactly what sports competitions you are referring to.

The main difference is that the people running the sport are not trying to create an outcome. But ,maybe there are other sports / competitions where it is similar.

Not sure exactly what sports competitions you are referring to.

The main difference is that the people running the sport are not trying to create an outcome. But ,maybe there are other sports / competitions where it is similar.

Was talking about private ownership of teams.

But to answer your question- anytime there is a seeded draw, anytime there is an uneven draw, drafts based on previous finishes, etc.

Save for pulling back to a 17 round season - which would kill the game financially - what else do you want?

Was talking about private ownership of teams.

But to answer your question- anytime there is a seeded draw, anytime there is an uneven draw, drafts based on previous finishes, etc.

Save for pulling back to a 17 round season - which would kill the game financially - what else do you want?

Private ownership is fine.

Ours is not really a draw though? Tennis tournaments are a seeded draw.

1. A draw generated by a computer. Whereby it is actually random or

2. Over a 2 or 3 year period you play a team each team a minimum number of times and an equal number of times home and away.

I am happy to be corrected but in their developing years, how often did we have double up games against GWS and the Suns?

Private ownership is fine.

Ours is not really a draw though? Tennis tournaments are a seeded draw.

1. A draw generated by a computer. Whereby it is actually random or

2. Over a 2 or 3 year period you play a team each team a minimum number of times and an equal number of times home and away.

I am happy to be corrected but in their developing years, how often did we have double up games against GWS and the Suns?

You ready to give up Anzac Day, QB, Easter Thursday, all of our extra Friday nights?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are there many competitions in the world, where the previous years finishing position, determines the type of fixture they will receive?

The NFL draw varies based on where the teams finish within their divisions.

In any case, we had 12 games this year against teams who missed the finals last year and only got 5 wins. That's why we're not playing finals.

Edit: 7 wins from 11 matches against last year's finallists
5 wins from 12 matches against last year's non-finallists

In any case, we had 12 games this year against teams who missed the finals last year and only got 5 wins. That's why we're not playing finals.

Sums it up...

"Sidebottom turns 34 at the start of January and knows the next generation are queuing up to take his spot. Ed Allan showed why he was taken at pick No.19 in 2022 last Friday night and will get more chances next year. Last year's first-round pick Harry DeMattia is yet to debut but was close in the final fortnight. Tew Jiath and Jakob Ryan have had one opportunity each and will be after more in 2025.

The 2018 All-Australian hasn't played in the VFL since his debut season in 2009 but is prepared to spend time in the reserves next year if the names above go past him. "

I don't follow NFL but take your point. I don't know if their system does or does not result in the best teams qualifying but they have a wild card system to in some ways compensate for that. Baseball I follow more closely and there are certainly strong and weak divisions but their length of season and wild card ensures if you are good enough you will make it.

Given how even our competition is, and this is exactly what the AFL want then playing a wooden spoon team twice is a big double boost. Opportunity for 2 easy wins and 2 cracks at easy percentage.

The 2018 All-Australian hasn't played in the VFL since his debut season in 2009 but is prepared to spend time in the reserves next year if the names above go past him. "

He said as much in the post match interview on Fox after the Melbourne game as well. I wonder if the coaches/list managers have told him the condition of another contract was to expect some VFL at times.

He said as much in the post match interview on Fox after the Melbourne game as well. I wonder if the coaches/list managers have told him the condition of another contract was to expect some VFL at times.
Hopefully he understands the situation. Especially if our youngesters demand game time

""To be honest, I'm definitely not against that," he said. "I want the footy club to be in a good position when I'm done and for that to happen, I need guys to start going past me. If there are guys going past me and deserve the spot more than I do, I'm all for that. If I've got to play games in the VFL I'm more than fine with that. I want the club to do well and if that means I'm in the VFL, so be it.""

We should just takeover that sorry a#se mob Melbourne - then the fun begins with redundancies:

Day 1: - by email

The Board
CEO
Coach (es)

Day 2: - leaflet drop over wineries, cheese outlets etc

All supporters - every single one - no exceptions

Day 3: - cursory interview - 1 min max each

Players - Trac excluded

Then - starting with Fritsch.... everyone of them

I don't follow NFL but take your point. I don't know if their system does or does not result in the best teams qualifying but they have a wild card system to in some ways compensate for that. Baseball I follow more closely and there are certainly strong and weak divisions but their length of season and wild card ensures if you are good enough you will make it.

Given how even our competition is, and this is exactly what the AFL want then playing a wooden spoon team twice is a big double boost. Opportunity for 2 easy wins and 2 cracks at easy percentage.
So what is your solution? Pointing out the obvious effect of an uneven draw isn't exactly splitting the atom.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Collingwood News & Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Back