News Collingwood News & Media

Remove this Banner Ad

So what is your solution? Pointing out the obvious effect of an uneven draw isn't exactly splitting the atom.

1. I already mentioned one solution - don't have percentage as the first time breaker for ladder position. Should be head to head records.

2. If you played the previous years wooden spoon team as a double up, then the next year you only play current years wooden spoon team once the following season.

3. Over a 3 year time frame teams play each other and equal number of time (or at least close to).

4. And every team plays each other once prior to double up games.

I don't follow NFL but take your point. I don't know if their system does or does not result in the best teams qualifying but they have a wild card system to in some ways compensate for that. Baseball I follow more closely and there are certainly strong and weak divisions but their length of season and wild card ensures if you are good enough you will make it.

Given how even our competition is, and this is exactly what the AFL want then playing a wooden spoon team twice is a big double boost. Opportunity for 2 easy wins and 2 cracks at easy percentage.

Personally I think the ladder position fixture differences are overrated as the AFL always has wriggle room within the rules to get the matches it wants.

Case in point - can you really say one of the following completely possible eventualities is much harder/easier than the other?

Finish top 6 double upsFinish bottom 6 double ups
GeelongSydney
Port AdelaideCarlton
St KildaHawthorn
EssendonMelbourne
RichmondGold Coast

The AFL basically brought in this system of basing it on the previous year's ladder after stiffing Collingwood in 2012 with the hardest draw ever devised.

1. I already mentioned one solution - don't have percentage as the first time breaker for ladder position. Should be head to head records.

2. If you played the previous years wooden spoon team as a double up, then the next year you only play current years wooden spoon team once the following season.

3. Over a 3 year time frame teams play each other and equal number of time (or at least close to).

4. And every team plays each other once prior to double up games.
musta missed it. Don't mind the head to head idea - but I think I prefer percentage as a closer measure of overall season performance. That is what we are measuring with a ladder. Just as likely to cop bad luck because you had a slew of injuries to lose your one head to head of the year as opposed to the opposition getting free points against the bottom dwellers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The shock announcement this week that Collingwood president Jeff Browne had set up a succession plan after just three years in the job presented a raft of curiosity.
The tattle among industry figures is that Browne is shaping to be the replacement for Richard Goyder as AFL Commission chairman, joining counterparts Craig Drummond (Geelong) and David Koch (Port Adelaide), in the race for head office.

The prevailing view is the next chairman would be a person with club experience, which is the preferred thinking at club level, after Goyder revealed earlier this year that he would not be running for re-election.

Eddie McGuire said in June that Koch was “lobbying” for the role, but Browne maintains he’s not. Asked on Thursday if he is considering a Commission push, Browne said: “It hasn’t occurred to me and it’s not part of my plans.”

Off the record, clearly it has occurred to others in the industry who have recently encouraged Browne – who has decades-long involvement in the game – to consider the role.

Whether he makes a play or not, his name will now be among the list of potential candidates.

Certainly, Browne would believe he has the credentials to be the AFL’s top man and, more importantly, would be confident he’d have the support from most of the current club presidents.

A commission push to replace good friend Goyder – they were both board members at the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation – would give 70-year-old Browne 12 months to get his ducks in a row.

They include anointing Venture capital funds manager Barry Carp – one of the board members who joined the Magpies when Browne took over as president in an overhaul after the Do Better Report – as his successor.

The Do Better reference is important there because Collingwood chief executive Craig Kelly is facing accusations of racism and bullying levelled by a former employee and that is one duck that Browne has to square up to before he departs office.

Clearly, he can’t cut and run before that is resolved. The matter is in court and will be defended, but already the accusation has damaged the football club and Kelly.

Like it or not, racism claims stick like a Beau McCreery tackle.

Another duck is completing the formation of the football department for 2025.

Season 2024 was one of forced change at Collingwood, prompted by the sudden departure at the end of 2023 of footy boss Graham Wright for an overseas sabbatical.

Wright’s departure meant Brendon Bolton transferred from assistant coach to footy boss, while Justin Leppitsch – who was strategy, innovation and list management – took on a bigger role in list strategy and recruiting.

Collingwood might disagree, but rival clubs were surprised there was so much significant movement in a program that ultimately delivered them the 2023 premiership.

It’s more tattle, but rival clubs believe there was unrest there, and that Wright was never returning because, in part, his relationship with Kelly was not as strong as it once was.

Like Browne, Wright was only in his role for three years

For 2025, Browne is determining whether to return Bolton to assistant coach and appoint a new footy boss, or leave Bolton in administration and bring in a new assistant coach.

With former players Hayden Skipworth, Scott Selwood, Jordan Roughead and Neville Jetta on the coaching staff – and concussion retiree Nathan Murphy to join that group – the view is coach Craig McRae would like a senior assistant who has had coaching experience.

Former Suns coach Stuart Dew, currently working part-time at the Brisbane Lions, is one name in the mix, as is former Port Adelaide coach and one-time Collingwood captain Mark Williams. Matthew Knights is another name.

“Right now, I’ve got a couple of things to fix up, (to then) move on knowing we’re in good shape there,” Browne said. “We’ve got record membership, we’re making good money, we’ve got a squad which is still good and still capable of winning the premiership and we’ve got the best coach in the AFL.”

He bristled at suggestions that the drama at Melbourne with Christian Petracca had meant the club had escaped media scrutiny after missing the finals in 2024.

“What do you mean by that?’’ he asked. “I’m happy for anyone to scrutinise what we have done and what we are at Collingwood.’’

A tough draw, a tight competition and injuries to key players all played a role this season, Browne reasoned.

“It’s too easy for people to point to the changes in the football department and claim there was some sort of friction or unrest … there wasn’t,” he said.

“I think we had all our luck in 2023 and we paid for it in 2024 with bad luck.’’

Browne, meanwhile, also allayed fears his departure from Collingwood was a health issue.

Diagnosed with myeloma, a form of blood cancer, at the start of the 2023 September campaign, Browne said he was in remission.

“I had a monthly check-up last Friday and I got all the clear. So I am in remission and they said it’s a deep remission,” he said. “That means I should be cancer-free for up to five years … I pole-vaulted out of there. All my blood tests came back positive – no sign of myeloma.’’

He maintained that he was elected to the Magpies board for three years and would complete his term.

“I’ve loved my time at Collingwood, I’ve loved every minute of it,” Browne said.

“I was elected for three years and I knew I would be there for three years.

“I wanted to help turn the club around and bring success on a number of fronts.”

Unlike Eddie, he won't outstay his welcome.
So who will be his successor?
Barry Carp, the board member who joined the club when Browne took over as president as part of a board revamp almost three years ago, is considered the leading candidate to take over.

But I guess it depends who else puts their hand up & elected.

This just came up on my feed - not sure where to start - does the role report to a "Behavioral Compliance Officer"?

Screenshot_20240830-161545~3.png

I'm thinking of doing a Donald and having another go after a break

View attachment 2096649

Go Away Do Not Want GIF by Katelyn Tarver

Greg Swann once rang me to tell me that I was the best Collingwood supporter ever.
He took me out for dinner one night and told me he wanted to have my children.

I pointed out that this was impossible so we agreed that although impossible, he had the "right" to have my children.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

News Collingwood News & Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Back