News Collingwood News & Media

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Ranald asked the Queen to be No. 1 member - she gracefully declined - not long after we asked Paul Keating - I believe he's not a monarchist
c5cf71221898f683ed4086e90214d510

Apart from Steele is The Harp still a bit rough or has it calmed down?
We go there on a Friday afternoon and it's not rough at all. Have been there for a meal at different times and very civilised with families in the bistro.

We go there on a Friday afternoon and it's not rough at all. Have been there for a meal at different times and very civilised with families in the bistro.

It’s the last pub in Kew before the dry gulch on the other side of Burke Rd. No more boozers until the Shoppingtown. Attracts North Balwyn’s meanest hombres. They finance their gang off the back of their monopoly of local lawn mowing businesses. But this puts them in a territorial conflict with the Kew clerical staffers who hit the Harp for a few before heading to the Outer Eastern Suburbs.

It’s a tinderbox waiting to go off.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It’s the last pub in Kew before the dry gulch on the other side of Burke Rd. No more boozers until the Shoppingtown. Attracts North Balwyn’s meanest hombres. They finance their gang off the back of their monopoly of local lawn mowing businesses. But this puts them in a territorial conflict with the Kew clerical staffers who hit the Harp for a few before heading to the Outer Eastern Suburbs.

It’s a tinderbox waiting to go off.

Either way, it's got nothing on the old pub's in Preston and certainly doesn't compete with any pub in werribee. It's safer to stay home and drink.

Either way, it's got nothing on the old pub's in Preston and certainly doesn't compete with any pub in werribee. It's safer to stay home and drink.

It sounds like you aren’t aware of the blood that was shed to establish that lawn mowing monopoly. Oh sure, it’s all legitimate now. But when Jim Penman decided to mow his first professional lawn, it was in North Balwyn. His subsequent empire began on a foundation of death and mayhem across Boorondara.

You aren’t just given a lawn mowing strip that someone else is servicing. You have to take it. House by house.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It sounds like you aren’t aware of the blood that was shed to establish that lawn mowing monopoly. Oh sure, it’s all legitimate now. But when Jim Penman decided to mow his first professional lawn, it was in North Balwyn. His subsequent empire began on a foundation of death and mayhem across Boorondara.

You aren’t just given a lawn mowing strip that someone else is servicing. You have to take it. House by house.

I did overlook the lawnmower thing. In werribee they'd probably sell the lawnmowers and revert to glassing each other, it's cheaper

Good to hear - maybe it's improved since Dunning's woodyard disappeared several moons ago?

Jim Penman - PhD in History - franchising empire beyond Boroondara's lawns - practising Christian - married > once, countless business controversies - might make a good head of Football at Pies

The Footy Record for this day in 1930, the day we won our fourth flag in a row.
View attachment 2138600

A couple of observations about this …

(1) That looks like that’s been hand typed.

A woman (those were very different times) would have sat down at her typewriter with a ream of “Joseph Rogers and Sons” paper on one side, a paper stand in her line of vision with a sheet of paper with her boss’s barely coherent scrawl listing the names, and an outbox on the other. The first 10 or so would have been slow going because names are a bit fiddly, but then she would have gotten into a good rhythm and churned one out every few minutes. If she made any mistakes she would have simply rolled the paper out, discarded it, and started again. But she didn’t make mistakes because that “Joseph Rogers and Sons” paper isn’t cheap and you don’t churn these out by making mistakes.

(2) It shows that one of the more bizarre peculiarities of AFL football has been around for a while. In every other sport on the planet, the “goal” is considered a teams attacking objective. AFL is different, the “goal” is what a team defends. Here we see Collingwood’s most prolific goal scorer lining up in front of “GEELONG GOAL”

We see this artefact in modern AFL by the umpire signaling in the opposite direction for a free kick to what they would do in all other sports. I’ve always wondered about the origins of this? ( 35Daicos , you wouldn’t happen to know?)

Remove this Banner Ad

News Collingwood News & Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Back