News Collingwood News & Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes, Dunnings. Now the site of the Harp carpark and Stephen Silvagni's coffee shop.
East Kew used to be a bit of a mini Cwood pocket - upwardly mobile people had moved up the Studley Park hill - couldn't afford Kew proper so settled for East Kew - it's a well located spot

What does a footy boss do? What part of their role requires them to know much about football?

They don’t have to do anything on the field - we have players to do that.

They don’t have to teach skills - we have assistants to do that.

They don’t have to come up with game plans - we have a senior coach that does that.

They don’t have to do player recruitment - we have a draft and list management team that does that.

The footy boss is an executive role, a strategic role. Their job is big picture. What is the vision / mission? Do the staff understand and have buy-in to the vision / mission? Yeah of course it’s to win games of footy and Premierships, but that’s no different to the other 17 teams and that’s the ‘what’. There’ll be a strategic element of the ‘how’ to go with it (eg: “Side by side”)

This is very normal in industry (eg: when Holgate went to Australia Post what did she know about delivering the mail given she’d come from a vitamins company?)

Advantages of recruiting from outside of the AFL …
  • Wider selection pool
  • Possibility of attracting quality people who come from an industry that doesn’t pay as well as the AFL
  • Probably lower risk of them being a micro manager
  • Cross pollination of ideas from other disciplines. If you have a candidate who has achieved huge success by running an innovation program, why wouldn’t you want that person at your footy club?
Personally, I struggle to see why it's even a necessary role. Why can't Head Coach, List manager, Fitness boss and Recruiting boss answer directly to the CEO? With non-footy extras shifted outside of the footy department and footy department tax.

Personally, I struggle to see why it's even a necessary role. Why can't Head Coach, List manager, Fitness boss and Recruiting boss answer directly to the CEO? With non-footy extras shifted outside of the footy department and footy department tax.
Can see how easy it would be for disagreements to arise & competing ego's to flare with so many head honcho's.

We see this artefact in modern AFL by the umpire signaling in the opposite direction for a free kick to what they would do in all other sports. I’ve always wondered about the origins of this? ( 35Daicos , you wouldn’t happen to know?)
I've never known why they do that in our game, but have always been curious! I also don't know when it started - perhaps it's always been that way?!

This chap was a boundary umpire in the AFL (and WAFL) for quite a few years, and gave this answer to the question some time back:
1728704289482.png

Remove this Banner Ad

News Collingwood News & Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Back