Collingwood seeks to tear up Queen's Birthday agreement with Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

You'd get 10.5 one year and 11.5 the next

Oh I took that to mean Melbourne would remain as the home side but the gate takings would be split. If it alternated and the gate is split each year may not be such a bad thing.

I don't have a problem alternating the home game each year, gate split or not. It will mean Collingwood has more incentive to market the game and their supporters may treat it as a bigger occasion (to most Collingwood supporters it's just another game really).

My problem is with the way it's perceived as if Collingwood are doing this out of the goodness of their hearts with nothing to gain etc when it's clear they have a stake in the game whether as an away team or not. I also have a problem with the AFL dictating the fixture based on one clubs wishes, if the AFL fixture it as our home game then Collingwood will play as the away team whether they like it or not. The fixture should be created by the AFL but we all know that isn't the case.

I would also hope that it the home game alternates it means we will get a fairer fixture in other respects, ie playing home games against Essendon, Carlton, Geelong more than once a decade. The reason Melbourne lobbied for this game in the first place is because, like North, Saints, Dogs etc, we continually get shafted financially by the fixture with having to host more non-Vic teams than other clubs and getting shunted to crappy timeslots. If it means another home game against GWS instead of the Queens Bday game I'll be pissed off.

But all things being equal I think alternating the Queens Bday game would be a good thing

The breakeven between Essendon and the other clubs at Etihad isn't as big of a gap as people make it out to be.
The other clubs have generally drawn smaller crowds and have had to play all their home games there. Where as Carlton and Essendon haven't.

Last edited:
No melting is when the obvious is portrayed and Denial is all you get back without considering the other options
The video sure confirmed those errors though and not once did any melb supporter have the kudos to consider it and therefore if you think its all kosher well and good
you guys are like little children/ private school kids with a sense of entitlement who refuse to see the big picture
):

The breakeven between Essendon and the other clubs at Etihad isn't as big of a gap as people make it out to be.
The other clubs have generally drawn smaller crowds and besides Carlton and Essendon have had to play all their home games there.
Is that because A grade a$$ehole Ian Collins wasnt able to screw them over like he did his own club?

Is that because A grade a$$ehole Ian Collins wasnt able to screw them over like he did his own club?
Getting a bit sidetracked now. I was always surprised that he didn't get Carlton some special deal.
Anyway next season like with Melbourne and Collingwood on the Queen's birthday everything should be fixed and special deals or bad deals removed and every club at Etihad will get the same deal that should see all clubs make a profit at home games now that the AFL own the stadium.

You get a cut of other clubs merch sales - it's a gap.

Happy to play more interstate. Have a look at our record on the road this year. We've always travelled welll which is the irony of us getting potted for not travelling.

Won three out of four and lost the other by three points on the siren. If we'd played every game interstate we'd be on top of the ladder, the review wouldn't have happened, Pert would still be CEO, Bucks would be locked in for four more years and this thread would not exist.

Give the game to a club other than Collingwood, and let the Pies play Melbourne in Darwin at some other point in the season instead.

And while we're at it, either make the Queen's Birthday a single national public holiday or (ideally) do away with it and Australia's link the monarchy altogether.

And yes, I'm dead serious on all counts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Give the game to a club other than Collingwood, and let the Pies play Melbourne in Darwin at some other point in the season instead.

And while we're at it, either make the Queen's Birthday a single national public holiday or (ideally) do away with it and Australia's link the monarchy altogether.

And yes, I'm dead serious on all counts.

Give up a public holiday?

Somebody card and deport this man.

Topkent, Donkeypunchd0 and jack son 5 have had a fair bit to say that held no relevance

Haha no one asked my opinion on the agreement, I think it's fair it's shared around now I was just replying to the peanut who said everyone was complaining

Give it to another team, one less Monday game is fine for me

Also couldn't care less about an extra interstate game. AFL players are the biggest sooks when it comes to travel. Pies seem to play better interstate anyways.

Last edited:
My compromise is that the Demons host 2 out of every 3 games. (2018, 2020, 2021, 2023 etc)

You can't dismiss the fact that the Demons have been dudded fixture wise since the latest expansion occurred.

They've hosted 46 non-Victorian teams since 2011, with Collingwood only hosting 28.

In the same time frame, Melbourne have hosted 17 MCG co-tenants with Collingwood hosting 26. To break it down further Melbourne have hosted Carlton and Essendon a total of 2 times in 7 years whilst Collingwood have hosted the same 2 teams 14 times.

I'd rather Melbourne keep the fixture, but the compromise makes sense.
Solid analysis. Shows how simplistic it is to say that the game is charity to the Dees

My compromise is that the Demons host 2 out of every 3 games. (2018, 2020, 2021, 2023 etc)

You can't dismiss the fact that the Demons have been dudded fixture wise since the latest expansion occurred.

They've hosted 46 non-Victorian teams since 2011, with Collingwood only hosting 28.

In the same time frame, Melbourne have hosted 17 MCG co-tenants with Collingwood hosting 26. To break it down further Melbourne have hosted Carlton and Essendon a total of 2 times in 7 years whilst Collingwood have hosted the same 2 teams 14 times.

I'd rather Melbourne keep the fixture, but the compromise makes sense.
Hawthorns fixture isn't too dissimilar to melbournes, and we have won 3 flags in that period

Remove this Banner Ad

Collingwood seeks to tear up Queen's Birthday agreement with Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Back