Votes: 24 35.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

FarangPie

Rookie
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
As an off season topic. Just curious to see which A - League team (if any) Collingwood fans follow. Sort of hoping Collingwood would enter their own team, but given the Collingwood Warriors fiasco in the mid 90's, I don't think that will ever happen. Anyway your thoughts.

Collingwood Warriors? I didn't know of this.

Anyway, I go for Adelaide United. I guess. I'm not really fussed with A-League. I watch most games each weekend but I'm not hugely invested in any particular team.

I do enjoy the round ball game but I don't follow A-League much. I have been to a few Sydney FC games over the years but they haven't captured my imagination yet.

I used to go to South Melbourne (Hellas) games quite a bit in the early 2000's so there may very be a Victory supporter inside me wanting to bust out.

A league? Is that a remake of the A Team?Is Mr.T in the new one? my fave.

file.php

I decided to try and watch the A-League this season, then I watched the Victory/Heart season opener and fell asleep. I follow Arsenal in the PL, and it's hard to watch their games and then watch the trash in the A-League.

I follow the Melbourne Victory to say i love them as much as Collingwood would be a lie. If they lose I'm not sad when they win it may make my day (however unlikely), I couldn't name all the players (I do have a soft spot for a few) but I go to all their home games, and I am a northern terrace member I do enjoy the atmosphere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't follow the A-League, but I do follow the VPL (Victorian Premier League) and go out 2-3 times every month. It's purely a social matter for me and I grew up playing some soccer as well as footy so I don't have any antagonism or hatred against soccer.

Brisbane Roar. Suncorp Stadium is just down the road, and I go to every home game. Makes the off season go way quicker, and takes the attention off our rubbish cricket team. Mitchell Johnson??? Please...

I'm a Heart fan but I struggle to stick for a whole season.

From the inception of the A-League I really couldn't follow a team that was arrogantly named "Victory" and looked like Carlton, so I waited for a second team who are now struggling.

The level of the game is so over rated by it's fans, the W-League (women's A-League basically) has more more world class players than the mens version, which is really about a division 2 or 3 level if you know of English football.

Soccer/Football will only get bigger as time goes on though, and so will the A-League, I don't see it as a major threat to the AFL unless it becomes a winter sport too.

Melbourne Victory are supposedly the 'Collingwood of the A-League' due to their large crowds. But 99% of Collingwood fans aren't w***ers, opposed to the fact that 99% of Victory fans are.

Melbourne Heart may be struggling at the moment but they definitely are the better team in Melbourne.

I don't follow the A-League, but I do follow the VPL (Victorian Premier League) and go out 2-3 times every month. It's purely a social matter for me and I grew up playing some soccer as well as footy so I don't have any antagonism or hatred against soccer.

i dont think many have a hatred towards it - its more the craig foster types trying to portray the game in a way which is extremely misleading.......grandstanding etc.

personally i never want to see the world cup here.
reason..........

sponsors would flock to it understandably with all their monies normally set aside for other sport/activity sponsorship in this country, both in the lead up and during the event. soccer fans would argue this shows the true popularity of soccer. i argue it would however simply reflect the thinking of advertisers and sponsors in wanting to be associated with the event due to its worldwide coverage. the ~5 year period of dwindling sponsorship of other activities would force many sports to fold, would hurt AFL as well, and as such, i would never support the WC here.

As a kid I grew up playing Footy and Cricket. I've tried with soccer but I just can't do it. I actually can't remember ever sitting through an entire match from start to finish. If I had to say, I'd probably follow the Victory. Only because they were first in best dressed so to speak. I have more interest in the NRL as an alternative sport to AFL

A League is the worst thing to ever hit Melbourne. My dad is a Heart fan, he goes maybe once or twice live to a match.
Every time I went with him I saw a punch on of 40 little 16-18 y\o Heart fans acting tough after the game.
As for the game itself, I love soccer. I used to play it. But the A-League is such a disgrace I cant believe people pay to enter.
The strikers try dribble even the keeper before they have a shot at goal. JUST SHOOT FFS.
\end rant.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Collingwood Supporters and the A - League

Back