• Melbourne Victory

Votes: 26 38.8%
  • Another A - League team

Votes: 7 10.4%
  • I don't follow any A -League team

Votes: 24 35.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Victory supporter, although i'm not a member and I probably only get to a couple of games a year. It can be very hit or miss following the A-League, some games are quite watchable, others are just plain %$&#!

A League is the worst thing to ever hit Melbourne. My dad is a Heart fan, he goes maybe once or twice live to a match.
Every time I went with him I saw a punch on of 40 little 16-18 y\o Heart fans acting tough after the game.
As for the game itself, I love soccer. I used to play it. But the A-League is such a disgrace I cant believe people pay to enter.
The strikers try dribble even the keeper before they have a shot at goal. JUST SHOOT FFS.
\end rant.
Hasnt the Australian national team improved a lot since it started? The standard is pretty low compared to most european leagues obviously but even if its just a pathway for the elite players to get to europe is seems like a pretty worthwhile thing if you follow soccer

yeah obviously :rolleyes:

Al-bundy-ed-oneill-animated-gif-10.gif

I find watching a Full Soccer game like Watching the Grass Grow. They players dive over nothing and over act over hits.

I will watch Highlights IF they have the Highlights on and that is about it. The Team I like the Most is Victory but I normally don't give the stuff.

I follow the American Sports in the NBA and NFL and the College Sports as well

South Melbourne Hellas.. But until we get our license, I follow the Heart.

The standard of the round ball game is improving here so I don't mind watching or going to games

Doubt they would get it as the FFA see's it as a Ethnic Club that is just full off Greeks.

Not what I think, It's just what they said when they did not give them a Licence

I can't watch a sport where the 10 year old children on a Saturday morning play harder than the sooks at senior level.

Come to think of it, the Saturday soccer Mums have more intestinal fortitude than Senior soccer actors.

I'm a Heart fan but I struggle to stick for a whole season.

From the inception of the A-League I really couldn't follow a team that was arrogantly named "Victory" and looked like Carlton, so I waited for a second team who are now struggling.

The level of the game is so over rated by it's fans, the W-League (women's A-League basically) has more more world class players than the mens version, which is really about a division 2 or 3 level if you know of English football.

Soccer/Football will only get bigger as time goes on though, and so will the A-League, I don't see it as a major threat to the AFL unless it becomes a winter sport too.

Wasn't there 1st 2 seasons in Winter?

Agree with that last bit. AFL and Soccer can Grow as long as they won't Compete with the NRL/AFL. Domestic Cricket is a Joke. Lucky to get 50 People to a Game.

So if Soccer stays a Summer Sport it does have a chance to be a Descent League

Hasnt the Australian national team improved a lot since it started? The standard is pretty low compared to most european leagues obviously but even if its just a pathway for the elite players to get to europe is seems like a pretty worthwhile thing if you follow soccer
Oh you cant argue that it has improved since it started. But like you said, its light years from the euro leagues (which have been running for decades).
Watching the A-League with my dad in the past was very frustrating. The skill level was not there. These days I can't really comment on the state of A league, all I know for sure is I wont be following it for a very long time.

i dont think many have a hatred towards it - its more the craig foster types trying to portray the game in a way which is extremely misleading.......grandstanding etc.

personally i never want to see the world cup here.
reason..........

sponsors would flock to it understandably with all their monies normally set aside for other sport/activity sponsorship in this country, both in the lead up and during the event. soccer fans would argue this shows the true popularity of soccer. i argue it would however simply reflect the thinking of advertisers and sponsors in wanting to be associated with the event due to its worldwide coverage. the ~5 year period of dwindling sponsorship of other activities would force many sports to fold, would hurt AFL as well, and as such, i would never support the WC here.

Craig Foster is a Tool. He thinks Soccer is way better and bigger then AFL/NRL in Australia. I don't know how he get this from:rolleyes:

I seen him a few times on SBS News and you can see he hates Reporting on AFL/NRL News:mad:

A League is the worst thing to ever hit Melbourne. My dad is a Heart fan, he goes maybe once or twice live to a match.
Every time I went with him I saw a punch on of 40 little 16-18 y\o Heart fans acting tough after the game.
As for the game itself, I love soccer. I used to play it. But the A-League is such a disgrace I cant believe people pay to enter.
The strikers try dribble even the keeper before they have a shot at goal. JUST SHOOT FFS.
\end rant.

The Crowds from what I heard are Badly Behavioured and they can be Flairs,Punch On's and Vandalisim.

Not saying it happens at every game but it has been reported to happen a few times

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh you cant argue that it has improved since it started. But like you said, its light years from the euro leagues (which have been running for decades).
Watching the A-League with my dad in the past was very frustrating. The skill level was not there. These days I can't really comment on the state of A league, all I know for sure is I wont be following it for a very long time.

Still fair way behind the Japanesse and Korean Leagues.

The Arabs leagues just have so much money so they can buy any player they want.

MLS is bit like that but they have money to buy the Stars

I am an unashamed fan of the round ball game. It is just as significant in my sporting world as AFL though mainly follow the European leagues.

I am a Perth Glory fan - I get to the games when I can. New grandstand at NIB stadium in Perth is sweet makes viewing a pleasure compared to the old scaffold stadium setup.

There are some very average points of view in this thread and I'm happy I'm on my phone because I would go to town if on my laptop.

Well I don't think its that terrible but whatevs. Best description of the decrease in skill level I've heard is that watching the A-league is like playing FIFA when you're still learning the buttons

Soccer is like a Fremantle vs Sydney game, boring to watch and nobody cares.
If you watch the 1hour highlights of all the matches for the week that they used to have on SBS back during primary school and high school I actually really loved it. But watching a full game is boring as shit, I couldn't even watch my own team Newcastle play in the FA Cup and literally fell asleep.

Followed Victory since the A-League started.

For the doubters, the A-League has greatly improved from that first season and will only get better - despite the Socceroos sucking these days.

Followed Victory since the A-League started.

For the doubters, the A-League has greatly improved from that first season and will only get better - despite the Socceroos sucking these days.

How about the teams folding?

that's where the league lost me and any interest i had in it why follow a team if sometime down the line they could fold?

How about the teams folding?

that's where the league lost me and any interest i had in it why follow a team if sometime down the line they could fold?

NZ Knights where the Team that Died. Can't Remember why but the Wellington Team is doing Tones Better

Doubt they would get it as the FFA see's it as a Ethnic Club that is just full off Greeks.

Not what I think, It's just what they said when they did not give them a Licence

Oh im well aware of how they see it. Im also well aware of how difficult it is to start up a team from scratch with absolutely zero history or fanbase.

South Melbourne to this day remain Australias most decorated and celebrated club.. if they want to draw people to the sport, that will help

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Collingwood Supporters and the A - League

Back