Votes: 26 38.8%
  • Another A - League team

Votes: 7 10.4%
  • I don't follow any A -League team

Votes: 24 35.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

How about the teams folding?

that's where the league lost me and any interest i had in it why follow a team if sometime down the line they could fold?

That's a bit pious and reeks of a closed attitude towards the sport.

Depends on where you are located. Some franchises are always a risky proposition.

All leagues experience clubs/franchises that fail. You wouldn't follow the AFL because of Fitzroy? Or the NBA or NFL because the Hornets or the Browns folded?

NZ Knights where the Team that Died. Can't Remember why but the Wellington Team is doing Tones Better

The NZ Knights moved from Auckland to Wellington and are now the Phoenix.

North Queensland failed and Gold Coast shut up after Clive Palmer pulled the pin - but we know how fickle he is. Just wait until he get's sick of his new toy - The Palmer United party.

Oh im well aware of how they see it. Im also well aware of how difficult it is to start up a team from scratch with absolutely zero history or fanbase.

South Melbourne to this day remain Australias most decorated and celebrated club.. if they want to draw people to the sport, that will help

South Melbourne was and is a great club. However, I still think it was correct to exclude almost all the NSL clubs. We don't want to go back to the same fan behaviour that was "normal" for the NSL. There is enough violence on the streets, we don't need any more, especially racially motivated violence.

The NZ Knights moved from Auckland to Wellington and are now the Phoenix.

North Queensland failed and Gold Coast shut up after Clive Palmer pulled the pin - but we know how fickle he is. Just wait until he get's sick of his new toy - The Palmer United party.

Well Palmer Running the Gold Coast. No Wonder it Died

Collingwood Warriors? I didn't know of this.

Anyway, I go for Adelaide United. I guess. I'm not really fussed with A-League. I watch most games each weekend but I'm not hugely invested in any particular team.
Joint venture with Heidelberg

Only lasted a year

NZ Knights where the Team that Died. Can't Remember why but the Wellington Team is doing Tones Better
They are the same team.

Gold Coast and North Queensland folded....only to be replaced by wanderers who are fantastic

South Melbourne was and is a great club. However, I still think it was correct to exclude almost all the NSL clubs. We don't want to go back to the same fan behaviour that was "normal" for the NSL. There is enough violence on the streets, we don't need any more, especially racially motivated violence.

Again, completely agree. The racial aspect of the old NSL was terrible and it needed to go. But its been almost a decade and we're not talking about adding in every single team and supporter base that was once there. I couldnt see a racially motivated rivalry between South Melbourne and the Victory but it would be the Collingwood/Carlton rivalry of the A-League... the old firm against the new pride of Victoria.. its a promoters dream.

They dont have to be branded as SMH.. in fact when we initially went for the license that the Heart got it was under the name Southern Cross.. but if there is a connection to the club and the history that comes with it then the supporters will come out in droves. A bit of passion and history is missing from the A-League

They are the same team.

Gold Coast and North Queensland folded....only to be replaced by wanderers who are fantastic

I thought they Folded and Then they made a New Team.

Was it under the Same Licence?

Both Teams where not Replaced by Western Sydney

I thought they Folded and Then they made a New Team.

Was it under the Same Licence?

Both Teams where not Replaced by Western Sydney
Both teams folded but a new licence for western Sydney was created as a way of filling the breach.

I am a big fan of the round ball and love the EPL. The standard of the A-League is improving and it is great that it takes place in the summer months. I'll watch any game but prefer it when one of the Melbourne teams are playing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As an off season topic. Just curious to see which A - League team (if any) Collingwood fans follow. Sort of hoping Collingwood would enter their own team, but given the Collingwood Warriors fiasco in the mid 90's, I don't think that will ever happen. Anyway your thoughts.

Great post. I don't follow an A League team, but I'm curious about which Melbourne based A League team most Collingwood supporters support. Go the Kop.

Pahhhleeeeezzzzee.

I'd rather work on my toe jam collection.
I would rather help someone work on their toe jam collection , than watch soccer , as an aussie it feels like an imported pest , like indian mynas , cane toads , or rabbits , and we just havent quite perfected the virus , or parasite to get rid of it yet . footnote.. listening to Andy Marr gushing over it on sen literally makes me feel nauseous.

South Melbourne Hellas.. But until we get our license, I follow the Heart.

The standard of the round ball game is improving here so I don't mind watching or going to games
As soon as heart merge with sth melbourne ill jump to sth Melbourne, amazing club! But for now, heart is where my heart is

I've got a chooklotto on VHS from 1984.

Why ?

Cos I won it. :)

I won a cricket bat on that crappy show with Marty the Monster and Daryl Cotton back in the 80's, also got that on VHS.

Ah, the glory days of Australian TV.:cool:

Oh, and the Blues are winning at the moment at Etihad, boo.:thumbsdown:

Would prefer to watch re-runs of the tattslotto draw.
Tattslotto draws were the bomb!
Especially when it came right after Gladiators! Just before the footy if my mind serves me correctly...
I remember watching a lot of Adelaide games during that time slot.

Dave lay off the Herald Scum for a while

The Herald Sun are currently trying to edit this footage to make it look like an A-League game;

:p

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Collingwood Supporters and the A - League

Back