List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade and F/A Discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a bad height at 195CM and 94KG.

Doesn’t play that size though

I like him, just think we need a lockdown fullback or a power forward, if we are doing down that route. Don’t think he fits the bill on either.

But if we was recruited to play FB at the right price it wouldn’t be the worst.

Good article although to be fair signs of fire sale started a year before when we traded Aish away…. A player we’d been coveting since his draft year……. Because we couldn’t afford to keep him after finally landing him.

The fact that we are as competitive as we have been in the last 12 months is impressive given the picks we have wasted on Stephenson, Treloar and Beams (5 first round picks - 6 if you count the pick 2 we traded to GWS). We are really lucky we got Moore and 2x Daicos and that Pendles and Sidebottom have lasted this long or our list would be a lot lighter for elite talent.

I felt like that article was apologist because we could be in a much better position had we managed our list better but the article is pretty much saying things all worked out in the end so nothing to see here. Anyone else think that? At least we have new people overseeing these decisions now who seem to have a much better handle on things.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The fact that we are as competitive as we have been in the last 12 months is impressive given the picks we have wasted on Stephenson, Treloar and Beams (5 first round picks - 6 if you count the pick 2 we traded to GWS). We are really lucky we got Moore and 2x Daicos and that Pendles and Sidebottom have lasted this long or our list would be a lot lighter for elite talent.

I felt like that article was apologist because we could be in a much better position had we managed our list better but the article is pretty much saying things all worked out in the end so nothing to see here. Anyone else think that? At least we have new people overseeing these decisions now who seem to have a much better handle on things.

We wasted even more first rounders on Shaz and Freeman, although one of those was unlucky.

I think it's saying that it was handled poorly but for the current circumstances with salary dumping, it's not anywhere near as extreme as what we once thought. Treloar and Stevo would be nice on our current team, although it depends which version we got of each. Stevo after his suspension was never the same and in 2020, he managed to regress even more. The kid wanted to play midfield but hasn't really been able to back it up.

We wasted even more first rounders on Shaz and Freeman, although one of those was unlucky.

I think it's saying that it was handled poorly but for the current circumstances with salary dumping, it's not anywhere near as extreme as what we once thought. Treloar and Stevo would be nice on our current team, although it depends which version we got of each. Stevo after his suspension was never the same and in 2020, he managed to regress even more. The kid wanted to play midfield but hasn't really been able to back it up.
I understand the frustration but really????

Take away Covid's smashing impact.

Add in Swannie who we lost too early due to a freak injury.

Firstly the '18 GF last quarter was a sht show.

Secondly Freeman and Shaz were both unlucky - simply unbelievably unrelenting injuries from the get go.

Finally a resentful group within the playing list.

Sure we made mistakes and mishandled (BADLY) the Treloar situation but placing all the kudos on the current leadership is simplistic in the extreme.

There are always what ifs that we've revisited many times and there will be more in the future.
Cripps instead of Shaz/Freeman.
Naughton instead of Stevo.
The salary cap was a mess of our own making, but thankfully we are now in a much better position.
There will be more salary dumping, especially by GWS & Gold Coast.
Let's see who we can pick up!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are always what ifs that we've revisited many times and there will be more in the future.
Cripps instead of Shaz/Freeman.
Naughton instead of Stevo.
The salary cap was a mess of our own making, but thankfully we are now in a much better position.
There will be more salary dumping, especially by GWS & Gold Coast.
Let's see who we can pick up!
Imagine our team now with Cripps and Naughton. Jesus!

I didn't see it as apologist. It didn't attempt to tackle the cause of the problem, but instead just looked at the solution - the fire sale - and pointed out it was a good solution. The part of the solution that it didn't look at was that as well as the trades, we also delisted all of our experienced fringe players, replacing them with cheap kids.

I didn't see it as apologist. It didn't attempt to tackle the cause of the problem, but instead just looked at the solution - the fire sale - and pointed out it was a good solution. The part of the solution that it didn't look at was that as well as the trades, we also delisted all of our experienced fringe players, replacing them with cheap kids.
The only part I thought was apologist was to Ned Guy. Only said he had to fix the cap problem and was the fall guy while failing to acknowledge he was part of the problem since he was responsible for re-signing guys like Phillips and Stephenson on monster deals that they’d have never received elsewhere.

Add
I understand the frustration but really????

Take away Covid's smashing impact.

Add in Swannie who we lost too early due to a freak injury.

Firstly the '18 GF last quarter was a sht show.

Secondly Freeman and Shaz were both unlucky - simply unbelievably unrelenting injuries from the get go.

Finally a resentful group within the playing list.

Sure we made mistakes and mishandled (BADLY) the Treloar situation but placing all the kudos on the current leadership is simplistic in the extreme.
Swannie to 2018 and 2019 and there are two more premierships

The only part I thought was apologist was to Ned Guy. Only said he had to fix the cap problem and was the fall guy while failing to acknowledge he was part of the problem since he was responsible for re-signing guys like Phillips and Stephenson on monster deals that they’d have never received elsewhere.
I don't think we'll ever know the full story regarding culpability, but one of the rumours that went around was that Gubby loved performance based triggers to motivate players and in 2018 way more than expected hit triggers for much better contracts - resulting in guys like Phillips being on big money.

McKay is mentioned, but Jade Gresham would be the "cherry on top" option (who they mention was a collingwood fan as a kid)
Eh. No thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back