List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade and F/A Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
But if he continues this form, we need to hope someone makes a big offer for him and we can come away with another high draft pick and bank the salary cap space.

Two high draft picks this year plus a free agent next year and we should be good to slingshot back up the ladder. Provided we spend this year and next pumping games into our high draft picks.

I like your optimism. But it's going to be a long slow road. We've got a core that is still ok but on the decline, a batch of kids that aren't that good with a couple of exceptions, and not much in-between.

We'll decline further from here before we start to bounce - the decline will be even grimmer if we lose Degoey.

I’m not sold on De Goey. He’s not a premiership star player like Martin, Petrecca or Bont. He’s couple levels below.

650k is the max I’d pay for 4 years.

I’m known to be firmly in the anti- de Goey camp… but it’s amazing how little he’s offered in consistency post 2018

… but many here are seduced after a good month or so of footy and want to offer him ridiculous amounts over several years

And that’s without even getting into the screwups due to the mindless impulsiveness of the man

If we keep him it should only be at 600k a season max

Otherwise… given how much the club has stood by him… he can p1ss off

doubt it’s allowed but we should sign everyone to 100k contracts with performance incentives then just hand out big bonuses at the end of each year to who deserves it so we fall into paying the minimum cap
Doubt the AFL or AFLPA would let it happen though

doubt it’s allowed but we should sign everyone to 100k contracts with performance incentives then just hand out big bonuses at the end of each year to who deserves it so we fall into paying the minimum cap
Doubt the AFL or AFLPA would let it happen though

Or they can play for Free

Or they can play for Free
university president GIF by South Park
Yeah! we can offer the players some token cert3, gotta play it smart like the US colleges.You might be on to something TD

Last edited:
I Hope Browne and Wrighty are smart enough to not approve any more long term 900+ deals we can’t keep getting burnt by players that go into cruise control after signing big deals.

Mate he’s in cruise control before signing a big deal.

I get that he is a match winner at his best, but so was Paul Medhurst, Andrew Krakouer, John Anthony, and now so apparently is Jack Ginnivan. That doesn’t mean you give them a contract putting them in the top 5% of players for four + years. They don’t/aren’t doing it often enough. Those sorts of contracts are for the rarefied air of the players who bring it every week, who you build your side around and who the opposition fear. Pendlebury and Swan were that kind of player, De Goey isn’t and doesn’t seem particularly interested in being it based on the way he conducts himself.

Not suggesting you were saying otherwise, mind you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GWS have a plethora of contested mids that would help us, just need one to hit fa window.

Jacob Hopper is the only one in the next two years who is a free agent. Assuming Ward and Kennedy are considered too old. There are few out of contract though. Tom Greens the dream. Bruhn would be a good get but a Geelong kid so if he's on the move he's a harder get.

Jacob Hopper is the only one in the next two years who is a free agent. Assuming Ward and Kennedy are considered too old. There are few out of contract though. Tom Greens the dream. Bruhn would be a good get but a Geelong kid so if he's on the move he's a harder get.
I’d add Stone to that
If they’re good enough, let’s just cough up the picks

You’d think de goey wouldn’t demand so much knowing that the club has supported him throughout his incidents in the off season and hasn’t been setting the world on fire when he plays. We’d be mad to pay him overs.

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

DeGoey has always been inconsistent, he's 26. He's not going to suddenly improve his game considerably and become Dustin Martin. We won't be a contender for at least 4 years. I'd be content to see him walk. We're already paying Grundy and Moore boatloads of cash(I'm fine with Moore), we would be financially negligent paying a player like DeGoey massive coin.

I’m definitely in the camp of not signing DeGoey but using him to get better draft picks and the players we need.
The only way a club rebuilds is getting a group of talented high draft picks together. Jordan is a key to us doing that. He’s not the premiership difference we need but we could definitely use him to get the difference in this and the next draft. He’ll be in his 30’s before we are a genuine challenger again, so to Jordan I say, “thanks but see ya”

JDG has played 125 games, he needs more consistency in his game. One good game in four or a couple of good quarters is not good enough.
Having said that, I feel every coach hasn't had an idea where to play him, mid or forward, he doesn't seem to have a clear role in the team.
I'd give him a Cripps role.
If he wants too much at the table, let him go. It won't hurt us too bad and we may benefit from it. We've looked after him, but he needs to think about his long term future and where his passion for football lies.

I'd give him a Cripps role.
Cripps is accountable defensively though, De Goey would have to add an entire dimension to his game. Obviously Jordy has goal-kicking over Cripps for the most part but Cripps is playing a lot more in the middle.

Do we load up on first rounders?

trade our future first to Swans for their two late teen picks?
As tempting as it is to load up on picks, what we need more is top end talent. There’s not many rules on building premiership teams in my opinion but one constant that has been proven is you must acquire top draft picks and use them well. Would be nice to have a couple of digs at picks in the teens, but we won’t find Petracca or Bont there.

We would regret getting rid of Degoey. Yes he isn't quite what we want from him. But he would be our most damaging midfielder alongside Jack Crisp, and it's becoming evident out midfield is pretty shallow. Would be in his prime in a few years when we may be looking at contending again too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back