List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade and F/A Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
True we traded lots of first and second round picks away for Beams Treloar Aish, all of whom are no longer at the club. Makes it hard to land kpps when you don’t have the draft pick. Although we did land Sam McLarty……

Even after all that we had the opportunity to select Brendan Cox (McLarty), Aaron Naughton (Stephenson), Riccardi (Rantall, Bianco) and Callow (Johnson) but passed on them. Hine is reluctant to draft key forwards and when he's pulled the trigger he's often gotten it wrong.

Even after all that we had the opportunity to select Brendan Cox (McLarty), Aaron Naughton (Stephenson), Riccardi (Rantall, Bianco) and Callow (Johnson) but passed on them. Hine is reluctant to draft key forwards and when he's pulled the trigger he's often gotten it wrong.
Not a lot of opportunities missed on draft night if you're including Riccardi and Callow. We're basically looking at Stepho instead of Naughton and preferring McLarty to Brennan Cox and rightly preferring Jordy to Wright.

Last edited:

I can forgive him for Naughton, to be honest. Stephenson was a gun, and totally changed the way we played and the way teams combatted us. Very hard to gauge a kid’s maturity from the outside looking in, and he clearly loves football. I was as big a Naughton fan as we had on the Pies board going into the 2017 draft, and I still don’t think Hine blew that.

Also quite comfortable with AJ > Callow, I think AJ can be a player long term for us.

Last edited:
Very true - so the argument against Hine is a bit hollow.
I'm not a fan of our drafting over the last decade. I think his criteria spat out flanker after flanker - heaps of them with athletic concerns. We seemed to recruit for the contested roles by hoping that a flanker with some midfield attributes would become a top midfielder or that athletic tall would learn how to play footy. I think we had our criteria wrong.

Last edited:

Not sure you have many convincing arguments there. Stevo won the rising star and was nearly a premiership hero in his debut year. Riccardi hasn’t shown much to prove overlooking him was a mistake . And callow v Johnson ….too early to call. Johnson was close to debut when he injured himself.

Hine hasn’t had a lot of access to premium draft picks recently.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who were the gettable ones he missed post Cloke?

It's been hashed to death and i cbf looking it up again, there is actually a reasonable list which you are well aware of as you have been in many of these discussions over the last few years.
But off the top of my head, McKay and Naughton the big notable ones, Degoey vs 2m peter I think hine made the right call in terms of talent.

Rantell and. Bianco were late and speculative choices. After about pick 30 it’s a raffle.

With us Trading quite a lot of Top 30 Picks Before the 2020 Draft we had not had Picks to have Great Drafts

I can forgive him for Naughton, to be honest. Stephenson was a gun, and totally changed the way we played and the way teams combatted us. Very hard to gauge a kid’s maturity from the outside looking in, and he clearly loves football. I was as big a Naughton fan as we had on the Pies board going into the 2017 draft, and I still don’t think Hine blew that.

Also quite comfortable with AJ > Callow, I think AJ can be a player long term for us.

I'm not saying Stephenson was a bad pick but these are the selections recruiters live and die by. It's easy in hindsight but they've got to get them right. I think it was known for a while that we needed to get in key position players so that one smarts because we should have pulled the trigger on a huge list need. It compounds our problems now.

Not a lot of opportunities missed on draft night if you're including Riccardi and Callow. We're basically looking at Stepho instead of Naughton and preferring McLarty to Brennan Cox and rightly preferring Jordy to Wright.

Those are just off the top of my head that stick in my mind. I disagree they aren't missed opportunities.

I explained the Naughton one above in my post TRS. McLarty over Cox was really poor at the time and is no better in hindsight. Riccardi made a lot of sense at the time and was low risk for a pick in the 50s. I think Johnson v Callow will be the right call in time but its still a true KPP that we passed on.

Imagine a spine of Cox-Moore-Grundy-Mihocek-Naughton. We'd be discussing what inside mids we need to round off our list, and probably able to take care of that easily through FA.

Those are just off the top of my head that stick in my mind. I disagree they aren't missed opportunities.

I explained the Naughton one above in my post TRS. McLarty over Cox was really poor at the time and is no better in hindsight. Riccardi made a lot of sense at the time and was low risk for a pick in the 50s. I think Johnson v Callow will be the right call in time but its still a true KPP that we passed on.

Imagine a spine of Cox-Moore-Grundy-Mihocek-Naughton. We'd be discussing what inside mids we need to round off our list, and probably able to take care of that easily through FA.

The trading decisions which he was part of hurt badly too.

2015 draft we had pick 7 treloar

Hopper taken by GwS.
H.mcKay taken pick 10.
Etc

Yes, but that final list is a list of two picks that ideally in retrospect we picked someone else. That's the case for the vast majority of draft picks.

I agree that we didn't spend enough on kpps overall, but those quality kpps we've missed haven't been that many. We should have picked a few more mediocre ones like Riccardi, and what we all thought Mihocek would be before he exceeded expectations. They got it wrong in that they thought they could develop good athletes into good kpps. But the attributes for kpps that really matter are ability to read the ball flight and ability in a contest, which just isn't shown in a bloke's athletic profile. It's only shown by performance in lower leagues.

The trading decisions which he was part of hurt badly too.

2015 draft we had pick 7 treloar

Hopper taken by GwS.
H.mcKay taken pick 10.
Etc

We lost pick 2 last year also. That's the money spot for key positions.

Correct- but no one at any other club is regretting picking Bianco or Rantall like they are Riccardi.
I don’t think you’re in any position to determine that GWS are regretting picking up Riccardi, particularly given they happily offered him a contract extension just last year.

Yes, but that final list is a list of two picks that ideally in retrospect we picked someone else. That's the case for the vast majority of draft picks.

I agree that we didn't spend enough on kpps overall, but those quality kpps we've missed haven't been that many. We should have picked a few more mediocre ones like Riccardi, and what we all thought Mihocek would be before he exceeded expectations. They got it wrong in that they thought they could develop good athletes into good kpps. But the attributes for kpps that really matter are ability to read the ball flight and ability in a contest, which just isn't shown in a bloke's athletic profile. It's only shown by performance in lower leagues.

Yeah I don't agree we haven't missed them. I've given two clear examples of that with Naughton and Cox and haven't actually gone looking. They were obvious ones at the time.

I agree that the player profile we've chased is wrong and that hasn't helped. But there's also been a reluctance to draft them at all and an over reliance on the Category B rookie list to address the list need.

It's almost like we haven't tried at all. I remember raising my concerns about it going back 5+ years and it hasn't improved since.

Yeah I don't agree we haven't missed them. I've given two clear examples of that with Naughton and Cox and haven't actually gone looking. They were obvious ones at the time.

I'm not saying that we didn't miss them. I'm just suggesting that picking a kpp that didn't make it ahead of Brennan Cox is the sort of thing that all clubs do. The draft order would change enormously if done retrospectively. It's not a howler. It happens to most clubs in every single draft where they could look back and would change their choice.

The two big early calls where we didn't go the kpp were Stephenson over Naughton and JDG over Wright - one all on the retrospective front.

Last edited:

Stevo flew out of the blocks and fit in really well in with what we were doing at the time, but he'd be the same player with us that he is currently at North if he stayed. I feel it has to be counted as a blown top 10 selection.

I'm not saying that we didn't miss them. I'm just suggesting that picking a kpp that didn't make it ahead of Brennan Cox is the sort of thing that all clubs do. The draft order would change enormously if done retrospectively. It's not a howler. It happens to most clubs in every single draft where they could look back and would change their choice.

The two big calls where we didn't go the kpp were Stephenson over Naughton and JDG over Wright - one all on the retrospective front.

Freeman Schaz draft would also change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back