List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade and F/A Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm interested in people's views here about Henry, Macrae and Poulter. They are yet to re-sign beyond their initial draft contracts.

Regarding Henry - a number of focus articles have come out in the past couple of weeks which mention a range of things that when put together become somewhat concerning for a bloke who is only in his second year:

1. He's in no rush to sign a new deal.

2. He was a mad Geelong supporter before being drafted (of course, his brother plays there).

3. Geelong were interested in him on draft night.

Regarding Macrae - there have been whispers of his unhappiness at the club since last year, he is virtually non-existent in the club's social media activity such as training pics which, he's very close to the Bulldogs players where his brother plays.

Regarding Poulter - despite solid showings last year and decent performances in the twos this year, he can't crack in and this week he was dropped from the 26 man squad entirely despite arguably a BOG performance in the VFL last week (from a numbers perspective).

What do people think about the delay in re-signing for these three? In particular, Henry and Macrae were our highest draft picks in 2020 and arguably the club would want to keep them beyond their first two years so they can squeeze as much juice from the lemon we got in return for the 2020 firesale (of which the Henry pick came from). Do you foresee us delisting them or them requesting a trade?

On SM-G981B using BigFooty.com mobile app
I don’t know where this wants to play with his brother talk comes about. Plenty of bothers have played , and play in the afl. How many have sought to be traded solely to play with their brother? It just doesn’t happen, and if it does it’s very very rare. Macrae is a young kid that lost his father recently. Think he can be cut some slack. At his age that would be a huge loss.

Henry won't be delisted of course, I am more concerned he will request a trade.

I read an article the other week that interviewed Henry. He basically said he's loving it at the Pies, loving living in Melbourne and his independence. He said he's got the best of both worlds because the family is just down the road. I'm not worried about him at all. Seems like a great kid with an awesome attitude who is engaged by his career and the club. I wish I could link you the article it was a good read.

Last edited:

I'm interested in people's views here about Henry, Macrae and Poulter. They are yet to re-sign beyond their initial draft contracts.

Regarding Henry - a number of focus articles have come out in the past couple of weeks which mention a range of things that when put together become somewhat concerning for a bloke who is only in his second year:

2. He was a mad Geelong supporter before being drafted (of course, his brother plays there).

Regarding Macrae - there have been whispers of his unhappiness at the club since last year, he is virtually non-existent in the club's social media activity such as training pics which, he's very close to the Bulldogs players where his brother plays.

Regarding Poulter - despite solid showings last year and decent performances in the twos this year, he can't crack in and this week he was dropped from the 26 man squad entirely despite arguably a BOG performance in the VFL last week (from a numbers perspective).

What do people think about the delay in re-signing for these three? In particular, Henry and Macrae were our highest draft picks in 2020 and arguably the club would want to keep them beyond their first two years so they can squeeze as much juice from the lemon we got in return for the 2020 firesale (of which the Henry pick came from). Do you foresee us delisting them or them requesting a trade?

Where did you hear the rumour about Macrae?

Not worried about losing Henry.
Geelong will have to pay up if they want him whilst Reef and Ash Johnson can play his role.

Macrae if he goes the dogs we’ll get less then what they got for Lipinski so I think he’s worth more to us at this stage an I’d prefer to keep.

Poulter I think is better he doesn’t feature as the sub or hold over emergency. Let him focus on his game in the VFL before he’s selection relevant.

I don’t know where this wants to play with his brother talk comes about. Plenty of bothers have played , and play in the afl. How many have sought to be traded solely to play with their brother? It just doesn’t happen, and if it does it’s very very rare. Macrae is a young kid that lost his father recently. Think he can be cut some slack. At his age that would be a huge loss.

Jarman's, Rocca's, Gale's, Harvey's, Selwood's, Scott's, Beams' and the Carr's off the top of my head?

Henry - I think his manager is smart enough to wait until the end of the year - his contract offer is certain and it won't go down; it either stays the same or goes up.

Macrae and Poulter - Don't know. Could be the club or the player waiting to see what happens.

I'm bullish on Ollie Henry. The kid is a very good contested mark and is a nice set shot for goal. He appears to be a confidence player and hopefully his confidence will grow with every passing match. I consider him a long-term prospect that will do well for the Pies.

Poulter is another that shows promise but the kid is all 'dick and ribs' at the moment and needs another pre-season (or two) to really fill out. He has the potential to be very good but will take time to develop. I would be willing to invest heavily into him.

Macrae is an interesting one. I was excited when we landed him and had high expectations (perhaps a little unreasonably?) He is definitely worth pursuing but I must admit that I thought his development would have been a little quicker than what it has been. My expectations were that he would be pushing for senior selection every week and that just doesn't seem to be the case. Perhaps there is a little unrest there? I'm not sure but I hope he develops and becomes a regular senior player - he certainly has the pedigree.

I can't see Henry going anywhere, on his current form he's probably ensuring his contract gets sorted first out of the list of youngsters that are open.

Macrae and Poulter developing nicely in the VFL and although it's a bit of a shame we haven't seen them in the 1s often this year, I think it's a good thing there is that lure there of having to earn your spot by banging the door down. I reckon we will see them featured a bit more post bye

Henry is definitely the priority signing and has been since day one from that draft batch.

Re McCrae, there’s still a chance he will be a top liner. I think he just needs to show consistency and his chances will open up. There are probably some KIs he’s not quite hitting regarding game plan and spots he should and shouldn’t run to…persistence will fix that. Kicking is possibly his biggest deficiency at this stage.

I'm bullish on Ollie Henry. The kid is a very good contested mark and is a nice set shot for goal. He appears to be a confidence player and hopefully his confidence will grow with every passing match. I consider him a long-term prospect that will do well for the Pies.

Poulter is another that shows promise but the kid is all 'dick and ribs' at the moment and needs another pre-season (or two) to really fill out. He has the potential to be very good but will take time to develop. I would be willing to invest heavily into him.

Macrae is an interesting one. I was excited when we landed him and had high expectations (perhaps a little unreasonably?) He is definitely worth pursuing but I must admit that I thought his development would have been a little quicker than what it has been. My expectations were that he would be pushing for senior selection every week and that just doesn't seem to be the case. Perhaps there is a little unrest there? I'm not sure but I hope he develops and becomes a regular senior player - he certainly has the pedigree.
I watched Clarkson on Fox the other night - and he pointed out that some young players take 2-4 years to develop and patience is the key - He said very rarely do first year recruits step into the big boys game immediately ( we have one of this in ND).. he said it was important for the clubs to back in the young ones for the 32-4 and tach them to ignore external noise.

I heard a lot of talk coming Out if the club on how excited they were with what Reef was showing over pre season and were also happy with McRae. There wasn’t a lot of excited talk about Poulter.

Hoping Henry sticks around. He’ll be excellent

I can't see Henry going anywhere, on his current form he's probably ensuring his contract gets sorted first out of the list of youngsters that are open.
I doubt the three contracts are related. Macrae and Poulter would be just offered the standard first re-signing extension. Henry would be hoping for more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As per usual, a wonderful writeup Pragmatic Shill.

Regarding Henry - he was supposed to be working on a contract to push for maximum value. I believe a number of agents use this strategy to maximise potential salary, particularly when young stars are still peaking in the year. As for the Geelong rumours, a piece on AFL.com.au appeared and stated that Henry intends to stay as Geelong is not that far away and his independence is helped by living away from home but he still calls his Mum everyday (so he's a normal 19 year old).

On Poulter's contract - no rush to sign him. I think we will, he's starring but clubs are unlikely to recruit him as his profile is still relatively small. I think he has a place in our society.

Macrae's position is interesting. We are not marketing him extremely but as RoyalSampler stated below, probably due to his family and the fact his Dad passed away. I don't want to take credit for the post below, but this was a wise move. Let him be with his family rather than have a contract shoved in his face. He 100% deserved the run against the Dogs but I reckon that it was extra special for him to do it. If this has been their logic, a brain-wave of an idea.

Honestly, all three could be stars. I've seen enough from all of them. WHE may be off the books and Poulter replaces him, Henry is at home in the forward line and has no clear competition, and Macrae needs a few more pre-seasons to play inside mid at AFL level. So we'll see. Shame to lose any of them.

Last edited:
I doubt the three contracts are related. Macrae and Poulter would be just offered the standard first re-signing extension. Henry would be hoping for more.
They're probably not a priority. When was the last time you heard of a second year player who has no real profile being traded on a monster contract? Obviously, it's happened by far less frequent but it's not common.

We get it you like bulls :p

Interesting listening around the 7:35 mark.
PS: Comments on Vossy being tight - he won’t lose his voice shouting 😂

Interesting listening around the 7:35 mark.
PS: Comments on Vossy being tight - he won’t lose his voice shouting
Thanks for sharing, will try and listen to the whole thing at lunch.

Shall we speculate who it is that's out of contract, wants to play inside mid but will be in a long queue? C brown my first thought

Those focus articles are his manager doing manager style things and getting some attention on Henry and some references to Geelong are always good to infer some pressure when it comes to negotiations for the next contract IMO.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Macrae's position is interesting. We are not marketing him extremely, perhaps because of off-field bloopers or another issue?
No inside info, just connecting the publicly accessible dots;

“Hey Finn, we know your Dad just died but can you punce about in front of the camera for us?”

I think he was probably given the option of flying under the radar for a while, and he would have been well advised to take it. Things can soon change once he’s a regular in the 22, but there’s no need to overdo the marketing in the meantime whilst finding his feet.

No inside info, just connecting the publicly accessible dots;

“Hey Finn, we know your Dad just died but can you punce about in front of the camera for us?”

I think he was probably given the option of flying under the radar for a while, and he would have been well advised to take it. Things can soon change once he’s a regular in the 22, but there’s no need to overdo the marketing in the meantime whilst finding his feet.
Thank you for that, you reminded me of the difficult time he must be facing. He's close with his brother and I imagine his Dad so we're just letting him have so time to focus on family - which is really important. A lot of guys feel pressure to 'tough it out' when losing a Dad but that's the worst thing you can do. Sometimes, you have to have time to be sad without pressure. Well managed by the club if that's the case. Psychology and mental health for males, particularly 18-24 year olds who we know are over-represented in the statistics of negative mental health, is so important. They've probably learnt some lessons from their experiences with Dayne Beams, too, who lost his father.

Would be for some not for others. Personally I'd prefer not to work with my brother.

They are half brothers. Assumedly same father and different mum. Did they even live together?
Not sure, but I’m sure Henry has made mates at the club, and I’d prefer to play with mates than my brother. It’s just different.

I'm not concerned.

Re: Henry. He also said he is very happy. He probably just wants to play as much footy as he can and then organise a deal.

These players aren't the only 1st rounders without a deal yet.

Macrae is also happy from what his manager told me. And from what ive seen.

The group that was drafted together in 2020 are also quite close, so I don't forsee any issues.

With Poulter and Macrae its prob hard to determine their value, but a deal will be sorted at some point.
I’m not concerned either, Jen

Having said that, as I get older I’m less stressed by a player leaving
I don’t think they’ll leave but if they do I’ll take picks and move on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back