List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade and F/A Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So we finish 17th and basically keep the list together. The team that played majority of season remains in tact.

Would not be happy.

Pragmatically it’s what has to be done considering

- our weak 2021 draft hand and the high cost of acquiring N Daicos

- the lack of trade value for our fringe players like Cox, Sier, Thomas

- not a lot of salary cap spare

- a whooping 27 players out of contract next year and all that goes into managing that

Fixing the imbalances in the list and salary cap will take years.

Why do yo have it in for Noble?

he’s great

I don’t like fumblers, who don’t win their own ball and are suspect defensively. It means your ability to impact ball in hand is limited to sitting off the back of stoppages. Sure you can get cheapies ala Madgen, but they have no impact on the contest whatsoever. For context he definitely isn’t in my back 7 next year and C Brown>Noble as a winger.

I think his best scenario is a bottom 6 type in a good team like your Miers, Bonner and D Lloyd which is what he was recruited for. The landscapes since changed for us and there’s definitely better out there in a small defender or wing role and if there isn’t we should look to others to develop it, IMO.

FWIW I’m not here to influence the view of others on this one and although I normally like to focus on what guys can do not what they can’t in this case I don’t think he offers much to Collingwood in 2022-2025.

So Kreuger takes Greenwood's vacancy. Lipinski will take Mayne's vacancy.

Assuming no one gets traded out, this is how I see it potentially going down:

5 seniors unsigned - Rantall, Lynch, Thomas, Sier and Cox.

Lynch stays as a younger, more efficient ruck depth than Cox, who gets delisted.

Vacancy opens up for Daicos.

A choice is made to re-sign two of Rantall, Thomas and Sier. The third is delisted, creating a vacancy for Dib.

One of the two is moved to the rookie list, creating a senior vacancy for Noble.

Chugg probably gets signed now that we've pulled out of the Stengle chase.

On SM-G981B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Incontract --------------- Out of contract --------------- Rookie

1. JDG --------------- 1. Rantall --------------- 1. Noble
2. IQ --------------- 2. Lynch --------------- 2. Keene
3. Grundy --------------- 3. Mayne --------------- 3. Wilson
4. Elliott --------------- 4. Greenwood --------------- 4. Ginnivan
5. T Brown --------------- 5. Thomas --------------- 5. Chugg
6. J Daicos --------------- 6. Sier --------------- 6. Begg
7. Bianco --------------- 7.Madgen --------------- 7. Johnson
8. Pendlebury --------------- 8. Cox --------------- 8. Tohill
9. Adams
10. Cameron
11. C Brown
12. MaCrae
13. W Kelly
14. Ruscoe
15. Sidebottom
16. Roughead
17. Crisp
18. McInnes
19. Poulter
20. Murphy
21. McMahon
22. Moore
23. McCreery
24. WHE
25. Henry
26. Maynard
27. Howe
28. Mihocek
29. Kreuger
30. Lipinski (adding him early)

Currently we have 30 listed senior players including the 2 new players (let me know if I missed one). I understand that we can list up to 38 senior players. Question. Can we leave Noble on the rookie list? If so we can take up to 8 picks into the draft. We currently have 7 picks with points attached.

Pragmatically it’s what has to be done considering

- our weak 2021 draft hand and the high cost of acquiring N Daicos

- the lack of trade value for our fringe players like Cox, Sier, Thomas

- not a lot of salary cap spare

- a whooping 27 players out of contract next year and all that goes into managing that

Fixing the imbalances in the list and salary cap will take years.
Well that’s a half empty view!

That sounds good on the surface.

But it flies in the face of having salary cap issues.

I hope GW makes some tough decisions.

It doesn’t really matter any more why we picked up all those kids last year or that it was out of panic rather than design. It happened, we’ve got them and a good percentage of them might turn out to be the core of our future list.

GW can’t turn this around in a single off season. We will still need to retain some depth players for at least another year that many want to see gone immediately. That’s just a necessity. Wright has clearly stated that we have lingering cap issues and this is why we have targeted two young and relatively inexpensive players from other clubs.

I don’t like fumblers, who don’t win their own ball and are suspect defensively. It means your ability to impact ball in hand is limited to sitting off the back of stoppages. Sure you can get cheapies ala Madgen, but they have no impact on the contest whatsoever. For context he definitely isn’t in my back 7 next year and C Brown>Noble as a winger.

I think his best scenario is a bottom 6 type in a good team like your Miers, Bonner and D Lloyd which is what he was recruited for. The landscapes since changed for us and there’s definitely better out there in a small defender or wing role and if there isn’t we should look to others to develop it, IMO.

FWIW I’m not here to influence the view of others on this one and although I normally like to focus on what guys can do not what they can’t in this case I don’t think he offers much to Collingwood in 2022-2025.

I'm inclined to agree. What we see from Noble now is that we can expect for the rest of his career. I think he's okay, but not likely to be anything more than a bottom 6 player in our list. If someone came asking for him in this trade period I'd be pretty comfortable moving him on.

I could be wrong, but I think Madgen has signed a 1 year extension.

As could I! However I think the media were throwing darts based on the current state of things and info from his management. For instance he could well be in line for an extension, but we’ve already landed on him as the re-rookie and the conversation was along the lines of:

Journo: Has Madgen re-signed?
Manager: the club have committed to having Jack on board next year*

It all hinges on the number of list spots because with 5 everything seems to fit, but I just don’t see how it works with 4 (that’s not to say it won’t) and I don’t even think Guy would sacrifice our draft strategy for Madgen on a one year deal.

*I’m speculating here, but it’s somewhat informed by the moves we’ve made.

I like...

Quaynor Roughead Howe
Ruscoe Moore Bianco
J Daicos De Goey Crisp
Sidey Mihocek Lipinski
Elliott Kreuger Henry

Grundy Adams Maynard

Pendles Cameron N Daicos Poulter / Macrae / McInnes

My 22.

B - Howe Roughead Quaynor
HB - Maynard Moore Crisp
C - J.Daicos DeGoey Lipinski
HF - Elliott Cameron Sidebottom
F - Mihochek Kreuger McCreery
R - Grundy Adams Pendlebury
INT - Henry Ruscoe WHE N.Daicos/Macrae/Bianco/Poulter/Noble/Brown/Ginnivan/McInnes/Murphy/Thomas

Gut feel says N.Daicos will play a few VFL games early.

Golds was clearly a stable buddy for Treloar. There was also a lot of talk at the time that we gave him a Holden ambassador gig and his girlfriend a cushy job to get the deal over the line. It's why I'm a bit meh when I hear how generous he was to the club by backending his contract.

Anyway, that's the end of my whinge. Back to trades...
The club went through all this effort to get him only to refuse to use him to his strengths and get rid of him when his value was at the lowest. That’s makes the club mismanagement more baffling for mine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The rebuild is already underway. We took 6 players in the National Draft last year, 2 in the rookie draft and 2 in the mid-season draft. Half the list, literally half the list, is in the 1-3 year bracket.

There is such a thing as having too much youth in the squad.
I would trade pick 22 into next year and then live trade it (or part of it) back in to this year if there is a tall we rate available in the 20-40 range.
our tall stocks are still very thin on the ground no matter what irrelevant 9 debuts type facts are continually sprouted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back