Oppo Camp Other Clubs News/General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel sad about this
A young man who totally lost his way

we “could’ve” and should’ve had a flag in 2018

• if Treloar had one ounce of composure instead of manically running forward with ~2.30 to go and kicking it straight to McGovern for no reason
  • if Langdon had paused, held onto the ball and asked the ump who to hand the ball to instead of giving straight to Ryan and allowing him to rush it forward before we could set up
  • if the umpire had paid a blatant block on Maynard

I loved watching us that year and Stevo is a huge reason for both that and why we should have won the cup
Collingwood supporters were robbed of so many great success stories that year
Tyson Goldsack's remarkable return for finals after an ACL in March
Varcoe winning a medal a month after his sister tragically passed away on field
Mayne redemption story
Jaidyn Stephenson wins premiership in remarkable debut season
Mihocek an even better debut season story, filling a key forward position after years of draft rejection
Treloar redemption after the infamous 2015 comments about Richmond
Buckley finally salutes

And the heartaching story of Murray Swinton, the firefighter with MND that Buckley dressed up as a firefighter for on Queen's Birthday. He passed away just two weeks after the grand final.

The Eagles were a great side. I'm not particularly bitter anymore, but that GF win would have been the cream on the best year to ever support Collingwood.

Collingwood supporters were robbed of so many great success stories that year

And the heartaching story of Murray Swinton, the firefighter with MND that Buckley dressed up as a firefighter for on Queen's Birthday. He passed away just two weeks after the grand final.

The Eagles were a great side. I'm not particularly bitter anymore, but that GF win would have been the cream on the best year to ever support Collingwood.
It took me months and months to get over the loss
I prob had irrational scars in the form of how I felt about certain players after that

I dont think you can cast a sports person playing at the top level for 6 odd years as mentally weak , bit rough
Even so, I think there was a bit of that. Didnt want to do the hard yards, and couldnt adhere to the toughness required.

I think he was even better in 2019 before the gambling suspension. He was blitzing - heading for greatness.

Then returned as a waste of space.
He'd kicked 21 goals in 12 games (in 2019) before he was suspended until the 2019 Final series.

At the rate he was going, he was on track for a 40+ goal season in 2019.

I prob had irrational scars in the form of how I felt about certain players after that
I look at it from the point of view that if we won 2018, Buckley gets more leeway and 2022 and 2023 don’t happen.

Fly’s first two years at the helm produced some of the most entertaining and best moments I’ve had as a pies supporter, so I look at it now as probably being for the best, even though I’d have loved to see Bucks get some success.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally all of the sliding door moments in the 2018 GF pale in comparison to the fact that dom nailed an extremely low percentage shot , a drop punt from the pocket on a very tight angle.

In that moment, to nail that goal, from that position, using that kick, it just wasn't meant to be for collingwood on that day.

Funny looking back at the 2020 trade period, only Treloar remains from the players who departed.

Stephenson, Philips and Bosenavulagi are no longer in the AFL system despite all being younger than Treloar.

Phillips another one who faded pretty badly… his inaccurate kicking costing him long term

Treloar was a loss. A stupid loss

Remarkably consistent with his numbers his whole career and seems to have mostly overcome his soft tissue problems

One of the few the pies moved on… and have cause to regret it

Funny looking back at the 2020 trade period, only Treloar remains from the players who departed.

Stephenson, Philips and Bosenavulagi are no longer in the AFL system despite all being younger than Treloar.

Treloar was a AA last season

I look at it from the point of view that if we won 2018, Buckley gets more leeway and 2022 and 2023 don’t happen.

Fly’s first two years at the helm produced some of the most entertaining and best moments I’ve had as a pies supporter, so I look at it now as probably being for the best, even though I’d have loved to see Bucks get some success.
I know we disagree on a lot of things, but I wholeheartedly agree with this statement. Fly's football philosophy and the 2022 and 2023 seasons he coached, actually made the rest of the afl world be in awe of our repeated high wire act and our magician like ability to steal victories from the jaws of defeat.

Yes, Buckley deserved a premiership.

It would have been a fitting finale for the '18 season.

The subsequent fall off a cliff was inevitable.

A flag would not have extended his tenure; he was cooked after '21.

The COVID years became too much for him, as evidenced by the toll on his personal life. Tough time to be an AFL coach.

EDIT: The '18, '22, & '23 seasons were gifts. I'll always be grateful.

We traded the draft pick that WC used to draft Dom Sheed.
We probably agreed not to pick him with pick 10.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Other Clubs News/General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back