List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade & FA 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Time we start thinking about trading out some decent players.

Got to give up something to get something.

McCreery back to Adelaide as part of a trade?
You are quite correct, given the quality players nearing retirement. We need to identify players that are worth more to the ‘receiving’ club, than to Collingwood.

This talk of us being poor at the trade table is misguided. Probably from monitoring all of our trades much closer than other clubs' trades. There are always mistakes, etc. but we remember ours more clearly.

We just won a flag with a team containing 9 players sourced from other clubs. We can't be that bad at the caper.
Great post.
It’s interesting that for all the complaints, no one has bothered to do a comparison of trading and drafting as evidence of the superiority of MOST other Clubs.
I say MOST because the prevailing attitude of the critics is that Hine is a dud.

Great post.
It’s interesting that for all the complaints, no one has bothered to do a comparison of trading and drafting as evidence of the superiority of MOST other Clubs.
I say MOST because the prevailing attitude of the critics is that Hine is a dud.
I think drafting's harder as there are more variables and it can be incredibly subjective. Some of the variables include access (i.e. high pick or not), availability of father/son selections, expectations of the board/coaching group and the list profile.

The other thing that I don't necessarily understand is the sole focus on someone like Hine. Yes, the buck stops with him, but he presumably has a team that reports to him and he would be somewhat subject to the information presented to him by his team. On top of this, do we know what the funding of Hine's scouting team is relative to other teams?

Time we start thinking about trading out some decent players.

Got to give up something to get something.

McCreery back to Adelaide as part of a trade?
Player swap trades are rare these days.
If we were to do that, I’d want to be receiving the younger player with more games ahead of him.

Player swap trades are rare these days.
If we were to do that, I’d want to be receiving the younger player with more games ahead of him.

As part of the trade I said, could be Beau and a pick.

That was just an idea.

The problem is most supporters want quality in return but don’t want to pay for it. Doesn’t work that way.

Great post.
I think Hine is a great recruiter - esp with high-end and rookie picks
Like many other recruiters, picks 20-60 are hit-and-miss
Most times he's had high picks he's done really well. JDG huge hit and even the Stevenson pick almost won us a flag.
Just wish he had the opportunity to pick at the pointy end more often.
Would be great if when he retires he states who was at the top of his board when the high-end picks we've traded out over past years would have been used for.

This talk of us being poor at the trade table is misguided. Probably from monitoring all of our trades much closer than other clubs' trades. There are always mistakes, etc. but we remember ours more clearly.

We just won a flag with a team containing 9 players sourced from other clubs. We can't be that bad at the caper.
On your point, the acquisition of Howe turned out pretty good for us and not so good for the others in the trade

I think drafting's harder as there are more variables and it can be incredibly subjective. Some of the variables include access (i.e. high pick or not), availability of father/son selections, expectations of the board/coaching group and the list profile.

The other thing that I don't necessarily understand is the sole focus on someone like Hine. Yes, the buck stops with him, but he presumably has a team that reports to him and he would be somewhat subject to the information presented to him by his team. On top of this, do we know what the funding of Hine's scouting team is relative to other teams?

Well I don't know if it's increased but under Edward the funding got stripped back to bare bones for our recruiting network and team to avoid the TAX.

Zac Butters has 2 years to go on his contract. Would our ff first and McCreery be enough? Personally, I love McCreery so I would be quite sad to see him go but if he wants to get back home then fair enough. Port might think we will bottom out so it could work.

Zac Butters has 2 years to go on his contract. Would our ff first and McCreery be enough? Personally, I love McCreery so I would be quite sad to see him go but if he wants to get back home then fair enough. Port might think we will bottom out so it could work.

I'd be staggered if they took that.

I don't think every trade has been poor nor do I think our trade targets have been poor.

But I do think more often then not over the last 8 to 10 years we have paid extra and received unders for esp higher profile players.

I guess we look at what others have received and given for players compare which is where the eye brows get raised.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well I don't know if it's increased but under Edward the funding got stripped back to bare bones for our recruiting network and team to avoid the TAX.
As one of the biggest clubs in the league, I'd be disappointed if we haven't increased allocations to our scouting network, with a willingness to pay whatever tax is payable.

According to the AFL website a team can exceed the soft cap up to a point until it is considered to be materially impacting competitive balance. Whatever that phrase means, I hope and expect that we're exceeding the soft cap right up to that very line, even if it means paying additional tax.

I wouldn't give up McCreery even if it got Butters.

Scared Saturday Night Live GIF by HULU

I am totally against the McCreery trade.

Reckon he has a lot of unrewarded tapped potential and is a Burst mid in waiting. Needs development time there.
If we get Butters, i'd drive McCreery to adelaide. We would be crazy to turn that down. Nick and Butters would set up our midfield for the next decade.

Given Beau's from SA, I can understand why his name is being thrown up, although we have a number of other SA players on the list.

Do Port need his type, or would they benefit from someone else? Rumours are circulating around Houston which, if he were to leave, would create a hole in their backline. Would Noble be an option as someone who offers them some run out of the backline?

I'd be loathe to lose Beau, even if it were for someone like Butters, as his skillset is quite unique in our team. If Port were to ask for a small forward, Harrison may be another alternative.

In any scenario, we're almost certainly giving up draft picks; before committing I'd look to close the loop on LDU, as he wouldn't cost a draft pick and would allow us to keep assets like Beau and Harrison.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade & FA 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back