Preview Collingwood vs Stkilda Grand Final Matchday Discussion.

Remove this Banner Ad

2010aflgfhigh1501.jpg

2010 AFL Grand Final
COLLINGWOOD vs STKILDA
Saturday, September 25th, 2010
Melbourne Cricket Ground
2.30PM

Pies1.jpg
VS
saints-logo.gif

TV/RADIO

http://bit.ly/9WmD6o

WEATHER
FORECAST; http://www.bom.gov.au/vic/forecasts/melbourne.shtml

RADAR; http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDR022.loop.shtml#skip

TEAMS

Collingwood
B:
Nick Maxwell, Simon Prestigiacomo, Alan Toovey
HB: Harry O'Brien, Ben Reid, Heath Shaw
C: Sharrod Wellingham, Dane Swan, Ben Johnson
HF: Alan Didak, Travis Cloke, Luke Ball
F: Dayne Beams, Chris Dawes, Steele Sidebottom
Foll: Darren Jolly, Scott Pendlebury, Dale Thomas
Int: Jarryd Blair, Leon Davis, Brent Macaffer, Leigh Brown

Emg: Tarkyn Lockyer, Nathan Brown, Tyson Goldsack

In: Leon Davis, Simon Prestigiacomo

Out: Nathan Brown (omitted), Tyson Goldsack (omitted)

Milestones: Dane Swan (150 AFL games)

St Kilda
B:
Jason Gram, Zac Dawson, Sam Gilbert
HB: Jason Blake, Sam Fisher, Robert Eddy
C: Brendon Goddard, Nick Dal Santo, Farren Ray
HF: Brett Peake, Justin Koschitzke, Leigh Montagna
F: Adam Schneider, Nick Riewoldt, Stephen Milne
Foll: Michael Gardiner, Lenny Hayes, Clinton Jones
I/C: Sean Dempster, Andrew McQualter, James Gwilt, Steven Baker

Emg: Jarryn Geary, Ben McEvoy, Rhys Stanley

In: Steven Baker

Out: Ben McEvoy

PREVIEW (Dave86)

http://bit.ly/9hiInX

MATCHDAY EVENTS

The “main” matchday event for Collingwood is to be held at the “Sydney Myer Music Bowl”, just a few kilometres from the MCG, in the Botanical Gardens. Link here;

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/road the the granny/tabid/16672/default.aspx

There has also been a concerted push for a “Bigfooty gathering”, which has you can find out all about here;

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=760046

MY THOUGHTS

So here we are, after 25 weeks of AFL football, and we have made it, to the ultimate day of them all, the AFL Grand Final for the first time in 7 years. It is well know we haven't won a flag since the great days of 1990, but this has to be our greatest chance since that great October day.

The game itself is pretty predictable as far as both sides approach or gameplan goes, the pies will try and win the contested situations, or at least break even in them, but the ace up the sleeve is the intense forward pressure that no one has been able to break through when the pies pressure is “on”. StKilda know they can't beat Collingwood in a shootout, so they will try and slow the play down, creating lots of stoppages with long kicks to the boundaries when required, and trying to maintain the pace of the game to their “liking”. You don't go 12 months, and 25 games and then change everything over night, both sides will produce basically what they have all year, with a few minor “tweaks” to suit the opposition, the ground and the weather.

As far as the matchups go, I see some very “juicy” ones for the pies.
I believe Zac Dawson will line up on Travis Cloke to start the game, with Dawson taking whichever one of Cloke or Dawes that drops back inside 50. Collingwood has tinkered with a rotation policy between Dawes and Cloke in regards to location, and it has worked a charm, as shown perfectly last week. I believe Dawson can be exploited, but you have to get on a lead to do so.

The one matchup I really love is Ben Johnson on Stephen Milne, it just screams “win” for the Collingwood Football Club. BJ has had Milne's number on just about every occasion they have gone head to head, in fact the only time Milne has ever worried us is when Johnson wasn't in the side. Interesting note that at training today Maxwell went out of his way to pull Johnson out of the main group and into the defensive group, meaning BJ is at least starting on Milne.

Obviously one of the big questions is who gets Nick Riewoldt, although Judging by today at the GF parade, maybe the Collingwood chant might get him. I want us to start Ben Reid on Riewoldt, Reid is coming of clear decisions over Cameron Mooney and Jarrad Grant, and has earnt the right to take on the champ. Prestigiacomo can start on Koschitzke, and take over from Reid on several occasions, just to give the young gun a rest.

redi1.jpg

Our forward line is where this game will be won or lost though, and believe it or not, the 2 most important players in the are in my opinion are Chris Dawes and Brent MaCaffer. Both place an amazing amount of both inferred and actual pressure on the opposition backs, and this is the area where we will dominate the game.

The obvious “danger” players for Stkilda are Riewoldt, Goddard, Montagna and Hayes, and if we can even restrict these players, it will go a long way towards creating history for the black and white.

As for the game itself, and how it will unfold, I can see Stkilda really trying to shut down the game early, and it may work for a small period of time, but eventually the flood gates will open, and the pies will get on a roll. I see this game being won in two ten minute bursts by the Collingwood team, which will give them a handy 5-6 goal lead going into the last change.

I am hoping all 3 of Kosi, Gram and Dal Santo play, as we have seen throughout the finals series, that playing injured players backfires every single time.

MY TIP

So to the tip, and after that amazing first quarter against Geelong last week, I really can't see StKilda holding us out for a whole game. They will try and keep the scores low, even under the 70 point each mark, but as stated above, one or two sustained bursts from the pies will be the difference here. But as many have stated this week, there are no prizes or need for percentage this week, so as long as we win, all of us here will be happy. I think we will actually win this game in the second and third quarters, where the game will open up just a little, before being closed down once again the last quarter.

PIES BY 22

Norm Smith Medalist; Scott Pendlebury

pendles22.jpg

WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO SEE

I was going to go with Ben Reid again, but I've already covered his matchup above, so I've gone with a request to the Collingwood supporters, both at the ground and at the Music Bowl.

As soon as the national anthem is finished, start the Collingwood long slow chant, and don't stop until the ball is bounced.

I see this as both an intimidatory tactic against the Saints, and also a motivational technique for the Pies. All the players have stated they loved the chant during the prelim, and we must start it early this week.

Something like this would suffice;

[YOUTUBE]ogPt5POUTPA[/YOUTUBE]

MILESTONE

Congratulations to Dane Swan for 150 brilliant games for the Collingwood Football Club.
Just a note, if Dane gets 27 disposals tomorrow, he will become the first player ever in an AFL/VFL season to get 800 total possessions in one season.

swannnnn1.jpg

ENJOY THE DAY

AND MAY WE BRING HOME OUR 15TH PREMIERSHIP.

Just hope I can Survive to see the Game as I am a nervous wreck with the Heard going a Billion Beats a Second.

I think the Saints till try and Rough us up at 1st and Baker will go out there to try and Re-Injury Didak's Shoulder and Try and get us out of our game.

Hopefully we can see through that and just play the Ball and Jump them.

Just Please Please Please Kick Straight for Goal Tomorrow Afternoon.

Pies By 60pts(Hopefully!)

Norm Smith: Ball or Dawsey

The game itself is pretty predictable as far as both sides approach or gameplan goes, the pies will try and win the contested situations, or at least break even in them, but the ace up the sleeve is the intense forward pressure that no one has been able to break through when the pies pressure is “on”. StKilda know they can't beat Collingwood in a shootout, so they will try and slow the play down, creating lots of stoppages with long kicks to the boundaries when required, and trying to maintain the pace of the game to their “liking”. You don't go 12 months, and 25 games and then change everything over night, both sides will produce basically what they have all year, with a few minor “tweaks” to suit the opposition, the ground and the weather.

Don't the Swans try that against us and they have no Idea how to beat us with that game style?

Dennis pagan told my mate that he believes pies have no hope, make of it what you will
So we are near certainties then, as Denis Pagan sounds like an 80 year old drunk whenever he speaks now.

Pagan said something during the week along the lines of "they should just get the ball and kick it long" which is equal to football suicide these days.

I'd ignore anything that Essendon, North and Carlton aligned bugger said.:thumbsdown:

holy crap, matchday!! :D

i have tipped us by 57 points.

i've heard a bunch of arguments that this will be a close game but i just can't see it. i don't think i've ever seen footy played as perfect as we did in the first 2 and half quarters last week. it was just ****ing amazing.

the opponent, i can't take them seriously. i know h&a results vary and shit but these guys were properly belted by essendon twice this year. they've won a bunch of matches since the last loss to essendon but none have been overly impressive and most have been against bottom 8 teams.

the future is unwritten so anything can happen but, as evidenced last week, i reckon mick and nick has got the boys friggen primed to win this and win it easy.

go you ****ing magpies! :D

So we are near certainties then, as Denis Pagan sounds like an 80 year old drunk whenever he speaks now.

Pagan said something during the week along the lines of "they should just get the ball and kick it long" which is equal to football suicide these days.

I'd ignore anything that Essendon, North and Carlton aligned bugger said.:thumbsdown:

This is not 90's Dennis

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't worry Dave, they wont intimidate us. They will try but they will not succeed. Let that little rat do what he wants as I reckon the umps will be right on it. We all know why he is playing and the AFL do not like that shite anymore in GF's. A couple of soft free kicks to Dids in the F50 to start will be welcomed.

If they have to resort to that (and they will) we will blow them away.

What the **** do you mean Presti hurt his groin.
where? when? how did he do it?
I'm going to blame his wife, because he was moving fine at training this morning and at the parade.:p:eek:

Mcc line was stretching back past joliment at like 12 last night! This is gonna be massive. Sitting inside the Harry Trimble bar looking out over the lit up mcg turf, eerie feeling to say the least! I'm packing myself just sitting here. Let's rock the ****ing shit out of these drums Dale!!

WE'RE IN HELL NOW, GENTLEMEN.
I'm going to blame his wife, because he was moving fine at training this morning and at the parade.:p:eek:
I'm going to take your advice on board. :thumbsu:

Just watched Any Given Sunday.

INCH BY INCH.

[YOUTUBE]WO4tIrjBDkk[/YOUTUBE]

"I don't know what to say, really. Three minutes to the biggest battle of our professional lives. All comes down to today, and either, we heal as a team, or we're gonna crumble. Inch by inch, play by play. Until we're finished. We're in hell right now, gentlemen. Believe me. And, we can stay here, get the shit kicked out of us, or we can fight our way back into the light. We can climb outta hell... one inch at a time. Now I can't do it for ya, I'm too old. I look around, I see these young faces and I think, I mean, I've made every wrong choice a middle-aged man can make. I, uh, I've pissed away all my money, believe it or not. I chased off anyone who's ever loved me. And lately, I can't even stand the face I see in the mirror. You know, when you get old, in life, things get taken from you. I mean, that's... that's... that's a part of life. But, you only learn that when you start losin' stuff. You find out life's this game of inches, so is football. Because in either game - life or football - the margin for error is so small. I mean, one half a step too late or too early and you don't quite make it. One half second too slow, too fast and you don't quite catch it. The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break of the game, every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone else around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when add up all those inches, that's gonna make the ****ing difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying! I'll tell you this, in any fight it's the guy whose willing to die whose gonna win that inch. And I know, if I'm gonna have any life anymore it's because I'm still willing to fight and die for that inch, because that's what living is, the six inches in front of your face. Now I can't make you do it. You've got to look at the guy next to you, look into his eyes. Now I think ya going to see a guy who will go that inch with you. Your gonna see a guy who will sacrifice himself for this team, because he knows when it comes down to it your gonna do the same for him. That's a team, gentlemen, and either, we heal, now, as a team, or we will die as individuals. That's football guys, that's all it is. Now, what are you gonna do?"

GO THE MIGHTY MAGPIES.

I wouldn't worry about the Presti rumour.

If all the rumours about Ablett during the year were true he would have only played about 5 games for the year.

I know everybody says from a reliable source and I am skeptical myself but I heard tonight from somebody from within Collingwood that N. Brown will be in for Presti tomorrow, straight swap.

Goodluck guys, big day, MASSIVE day for the Collingwood Football club.... it all comes down to this. I'm watching my all time favourite player from an opposition club (Pants Millane) on the footy marathon, playing in the 1990 GF with a busted thumb.... Legend.
If your boys play with the some tenacity and spirit as the great, late #42 did throughout his career, you will hold the premiership cup aloft.
Cheers.

Thanks Chiefton, yeah i'm watching it too. Lets hope we use as much pressure as the '90 team did on the day. and hear thatt awesome cooolllllllllllingggggggggwooooooooood chant :)

Also, guys I dont know if ill get any sleep tonight. Did anyone sleep at all the Eve of the 1990 GF? lmao

Remove this Banner Ad

Back