Autopsy Collingwood: Where to from here?

Remove this Banner Ad

More deflecting from Pies fans who can't admit their list is completely cooked after the fat boy Schultz trade.

Predictable
Jesus mate. You're a dud troll but posts like this are poor even by your standards. Posts like these just bring down the site

Because a backline gets exposed by a midfield that doesn't run and while Pendles and co can contribute when the ball is in Pies possession are slowing down and not providing the assistance when it is not.

The legend of Nathan Murphy sure is growing for a player who averaged less than 10 possessions a game. Charlie Dean is statistically a better player.

My you guys take offence at any criticism of Whispers. It was embarrassing the praise the coach was giving him after a 2 possession last quarter. Did some nice things in that second quarter despite going at 50%DE, coincidentally when the Lions tagger went off. Would have thought the coach would have been talking about the guys who dragged the team back into it in the last quarter.

Maybe Pies will pull some decent recruits like a Lachie Schultz but it was a core of 30year old that got the pies over the line in 2023 and the likelihood they will be better in 2025 is low, as is the odds that they will be less injury effected.

Without a first round draft it is unlikely that the Pies will be improving there under25s
Pendles offering more defensively this year than in most other years in his career. Sidebottom the same. Your assertion has no basis.

Happy for you to base your assessment of Murphy on possessions, and if you'd rather Charlie Dean then you are about as good at identifying defensive talent as your team's list management department.

I don't mind criticism of ND. He is an extraordinary talent, but has areas where he is not elite. But what you identified as a weakness was wrong. And your comment above about him only performing when "the tagger went off" is as baseless as everything else you've said.

Do we really need to improve our under 25s? Maybe we'll just keep adding 25 and aboves and keep competing like we do almost every year. We'll let your team load up on draft picks and sell the dream of the future without the need for actual success.

They keep winning close ones, and it doesn't seem most teams have worked out how to better them at that. If say only 2 or 3 results went against them they'd be bottom 4.

I exist them to be about where they are again next season. 9-12 sounds about right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where will Collingwood fans like yourself be this September? Watching their team play fina- oh...

Looking forward to the dra- oh...
If Sydney get thumped in their 3rd consecutive grand final Pies fans will be laughing thinking your the new Colliwobbles. The older generation Collingwood supporters will enjoy that as much as any premiership to have that title shifted.

Based on what? Projected improvement from some promising youngsters like Pendlebury, Sidebottom and Mason Cox?

What a ridiculous start to your response, hopefully at least it made you feel better.
Some good list management decisions? Like trading your first round pick this year for Lachie Schultz? Like trading Treloar and your entire 2021 draft hand to go all in on the 2020 draft? The same draft that will go down as the worst draft of the century. How dumb does a list management team have to be to attack this draft of all years anyway? So little exposure to all youth levels because of the virus and Collingwood thought THIS was the time to stock up on draft talent?
It's hilarious that this is your only real go to, 1-2 trade periods is pretty much irrelevant yes we made some bad mistakes in the past and guess what majority of them that made those list decisions are gone. It's as stupid as the argument that we can't attract talent because look at Tom Lynch. We clearly didn't have the cap space to properly compete for him at the time which has clearly changed.
But yeah I'm sure you'll make some "good list management decisions". Clearly Collingwood are the masters of this.

And if we do will you put your hand up and say you overreacted??
Yes, we are fighting for one, you guys aren't.
Would rather be a "chocker" than a choker of a top 8 spot.
This again is just a ridiculous statement to a regining premier. As I stated before just hope you guys don't get thumped in another grand final or even the finals series because that can destroy a list quicker than age can. The mental scarring can go on for decades and you guys seem to have a pretty good list right now which would be a horrible waste.

The pies for the first time are going down the Geelong recruiting way and I'm excited to see what that means in the next 2-4 seasons. Well have a proper crack at it again next year and expect us to make the 8. Despite us having a poor season we have pretty much the best record vs top 8 teams this yr it's not all doom and gloom like you are so desperate for.

Based on what? Projected improvement from some promising youngsters like Pendlebury, Sidebottom and Mason Cox?

Some good list management decisions? Like trading your first round pick this year for Lachie Schultz? Like trading Treloar and your entire 2021 draft hand to go all in on the 2020 draft? The same draft that will go down as the worst draft of the century. How dumb does a list management team have to be to attack this draft of all years anyway? So little exposure to all youth levels because of the virus and Collingwood thought THIS was the time to stock up on draft talent?

But yeah I'm sure you'll make some "good list management decisions". Clearly Collingwood are the masters of this.

Yes, we are fighting for one, you guys aren't.
Would rather be a "chocker" than a choker of a top 8 spot.
You're bagging a team who won the flag in 2023, for list management decisions in 2020 and 2021?

Oh boy.

What a ridiculous start to your response, hopefully at least it made you feel better.
Clearly the concept of mild sarcasm is lost on Collingwood supporters like yourself.
Even then, it's not like you backed up your statement that Collingwood will be back in the finals. You said all it takes is a few "good list management decisions", and appear to lack the awareness that you club has bottlenecked it's capacity to make any meaningful list management decisions by trading your first round pick for Schultz last year.

Collingwood already have the oldest list in the AFL, and will probably set the record for oldest list ever next year. Coming off a season where they didn't make the 8, it would be comically foolish to think finals next year is a given.

It's hilarious that this is your only real go to, 1-2 trade periods is pretty much irrelevant yes we made some bad mistakes in the past and guess what majority of them that made those list decisions are gone. It's as stupid as the argument that we can't attract talent because look at Tom Lynch. We clearly didn't have the cap space to properly compete for him at the time which has clearly changed.
Bad mistakes is an understatement.
You traded the farm for Finlay Macrae, Oliver Henry, Finn McInnes, Liam McMahon and Caleb Poulter.
Collingwood have the oldest list in the AFL and virtually nothing coming up from their under 23s. No point in saying Daicos because he's already in the best 22.
I never said you couldn't attract talent my reading-deficient friend. I simply said it's not trivial, and it's utterly foolish to think you can seamlessly replace 11 30 year olds with 11 quality free agents or trades, especially when you don't even have a first round pick to trade this year.
And who cares about cap space? Lynch signed for Richmond for less than what others were offering. There have been several clubs with huge amounts of cap space for years and they struggle to attract players.

This again is just a ridiculous statement to a regining premier. As I stated before just hope you guys don't get thumped in another grand final or even the finals series because that can destroy a list quicker than age can. The mental scarring can go on for decades and you guys seem to have a pretty good list right now which would be a horrible waste.
A lot of bitching from someone who supports a club that wasn't good enough to finish top 8.

The pies for the first time are going down the Geelong recruiting way and I'm excited to see what that means in the next 2-4 seasons. Well have a proper crack at it again next year and expect us to make the 8. Despite us having a poor season we have pretty much the best record vs top 8 teams this yr it's not all doom and gloom like you are so desperate for.
The Geelong recruiting way?
Who is the Jeremy Cameron/Patrick Dangerfield type you will be bringing in? Oh, there aren't any.
Where is the first rounder you will be trading for some gun player? Oh, there isn't one.

Even Geelong realized they had to prioritize youth to some degree. After they won their flag they got Jack Bowes and a top 10 pick for a bag of chips. Meanwhile Collingwood traded theirs away for a workhorse role-player while having virtually nothing outside of Daicos in their under-23s.

You're bagging a team who won the flag in 2023, for list management decisions in 2020 and 2021?

Oh boy.
I am responding to a poster foolish enough to claim Collingwood will definitely return to the 8 because of "good list management decisions" that haven't been made yet, while having the gall to "bag" my own club.

Almost as foolish as claiming Daicos is the best player in the competition because "um if you go to collingwood games you will hear neutral supporters saying he is the best player".

Almost as foolish as "loving" that post.

Pies will be back. They'll poach a few free agents and be back playing for flags in the near future.
Free agents like who?

They have 11 players over 30 and very little coming through their youth. "A few" free agents won't cut it.

Some posters just don't put a lot of thought into their posts.

Free agents like who?

They have 11 players over 30 and very little coming through their youth. "A few" free agents won't cut it.

Some posters just don't put a lot of thought into their posts.
Theres also just not that many quality free agents up for grabs with teams desperately trying to sign up talent long term before Tassie come in.

I am responding to a poster foolish enough to claim Collingwood will definitely return to the 8 because of "good list management decisions" that haven't been made yet, while having the gall to "bag" my own club.

Almost as foolish as claiming Daicos is the best player in the competition because "um if you go to collingwood games you will hear neutral supporters saying he is the best player".

Almost as foolish as "loving" that post.
Oh.

Seems I have another Stalker.

Fancy commenting on another poster's reaction to a post from 3 or 4 days ago....

Oh boy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Collingwood: Where to from here?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back