Autopsy Collingwood: Where to from here?

Remove this Banner Ad

Theres also just not that many quality free agents up for grabs with teams desperately trying to sign up talent long term before Tassie come in.
Oh well, Carlton are screwed then.

How do they improve their list from being a mid table team after spending over two decades building and rebuilding?

Oops.

Oh.

Seems I have another Stalker.

Fancy commenting on another poster's reaction to a post from 3 or 4 days ago....

Oh boy.
Yeah I'm a real stalker for simply memorizing one of your replies and reactions in this exact thread.

Collingwood will be fine.

Probably back in the 8 next year with a full pre-season, and will always be an attractive proposition to opposition players.

No club is that far away these days, the competition standard isn't what it once was. Bit of injury luck and a couple of decent recruits and anything can happen.

OP seems desperate to be enraged on behalf of Pies supporters though, which is pretty funny.

If you're lucky enough to witness a flag, any reasonable supporter just chills out for a few years. What will be, will be.

Collingwood will be fine.

Probably back in the 8 next year with a full pre-season, and will always be an attractive proposition to opposition players.

No club is that far away these days, the competition standard isn't what it once was. Bit of injury luck and a couple of decent recruits and anything can happen.

OP seems desperate to be enraged on behalf of Pies supporters though, which is pretty funny.

If you're lucky enough to witness a flag, any reasonable supporter just chills out for a few years. What will be, will be.
Yep trust a Geelong supporter to understand we are in a similar boat to Geelong this time last year . No Selwood , not much from Hawkins and yet back in the top 4. A lot of wishful thinking from opposition supporters hoping we end up like their loser clubs. We have a 21 year old who is the best player in the comp who hasn't even hit his prime yet . If we actually get our 2nd and 3rd best mids from our premiership team in De Goey and Mitchell on the park to support him there is no reason we can't be in the 8 next year .

They (Collingwood) still haven't won consecutive Premierships since the 1930s. It's hard to do in any era.

Injuries and probably not being good enough has happened for the Pies this season.

They might make the top 8 next season and let's see what happens from there.

2 Premierships in 3 years still has a nice ring to it..........if good enough..

Last edited:
Yep trust a Geelong supporter to understand we are in a similar boat to Geelong this time last year . No Selwood , not much from Hawkins and yet back in the top 4.
And still one of the oldest teams in the competition, and they played each of the top 5 teams only once.
We have a 21 year old who is the best player in the comp who hasn't even hit his prime yet .
1. Not the best player in the comp.
2. Your only good player under the age of 23.
If we actually get our 2nd and 3rd best mids from our premiership team in De Goey and Mitchell on the park to support him there is no reason we can't be in the 8 next year .
Every team has injuries. Brisbane got savaged by ACL injuries early in the year and they didn't drop out of the 8.

Blaming injuries is a poor excuse. And what, just making the 8 is the goal now? Or do you think the return of a 32 year old Tom Mitchell is the difference between where you are now and seriously challenging for the flag? Half of Collingwood's best 22 will be 30+ next year.

When you have such a high saturation of old players and so little coming through your youth, it's extremely difficult to sustain Premiership-challenging momentum, let alone improve. Even Geelong who you cited continued to replenish their youth over the past few years to a certain degree. Geelong have guys like Holmes, Dempsey, Bruhn, De Koning, Humphries among their youth contingent. Who do the Pies have outside of Nick Daicos?

They'll be back in the top 4 next year.

Cameron's now an elite ruck and will carry that second half form into next year.
Daicos boys are stars. Hill, McCreery and Eliott are excellent smalls.
Schultz needs a massive preseason.

McStay & De Goey are the key players. Like Schultz, big preseasons and they are a different beast in 2024.

We heard this was a era coming for the pies and maybe back to back not even close.

Not sure I'm as positive as some are here , got a few good kids and Daicos , but a ageing list.

Ok, does this make it any clearer?

bcsS4Ns.png

Collingwood's under-23 players. Beyond Nick Daicos there isn't much there.
Good one....
How do you know? They could all be stars or duds. A new account I see. Good luck with your predictions and bring on 2025.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good one....
How do you know? They could all be stars or duds. A new account I see. Good luck with you predictions and bring on 2025.
You could call it a hunch.

Brisbane: Will Ashcroft, Levi Ashcroft, Kai Lohmann, Logan Morris, Jaspa Fletcher, Darcy Wilmot
Western Bulldogs: Sam Darcy, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, Ryley Sanders, Cody Weightman, Jordan Croft, Joel Freijah
Hawthorn: Will Day, Nick Watson, Jai Newcombe, Josh Weddle, Massimo D'Ambrosio, Cameron Mackenzie
Fremantle: Heath Chapman, Luke Jackson, Hayden Young, Caleb Serong, Jye Amiss, Josh Treacy

Collingwood: Nick Daicos, Beau McCreery, Finlay Macrae, Harvey Harrison, Edward Allen, Ned Long

...well, keep up the optimism I guess.

Brisbane: Will Ashcroft, Levi Ashcroft, Kai Lohmann, Logan Morris, Jaspa Fletcher, Darcy Wilmot
Western Bulldogs: Sam Darcy, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, Ryley Sanders, Cody Weightman, Jordan Croft, Joel Freijah
Hawthorn: Will Day, Nick Watson, Jai Newcombe, Josh Weddle, Massimo D'Ambrosio, Cameron Mackenzie
Fremantle: Heath Chapman, Luke Jackson, Hayden Young, Caleb Serong, Jye Amiss, Josh Treacy

Collingwood: Nick Daicos, Beau McCreery, Finlay Macrae, Harvey Harrison, Edward Allen, Ned Long

Good thing it takes more than a handful of players to put a team on the park, and there is no limit to the number of proven, mature players a club can field on a week to week basis...

What number does Levi Ashcroft wear for Brisbane?
Or if we are referring to future pick ups, then Collingwood has a F/S coming through also.

Hang on.

Are you suggesting what I think you're suggesting?
You mean am I suggesting that Old Jakey Boy is not actually a real Sydney supporter - based on his complete lack of posting anything about Sydney and the fact 99% of his posts are rants about Geelong or Collingwood - and that he might actually be one of our old Richmond friends with an alt?

Of course not, that would be highly inappropriate to suggest something like that. I'm sure he's 100% genuine......

Also looking back a few years, that 2020 off-season disaster is really starting to burn.

The 2020 draft is looking like one of the worst drafts ever, which is hardly a surprise given the flu put a stop to all youth level competitions. This was the draft Collingwood decided to attack, trading out their future first and future second picks (and Adam Treloar) to boost their 2020 draft hand with the knowledge they'd get Nick Daicos the next year.

With their first five picks (three first rounders and two second rounders), they picked up Oliver Henry(gone), Finlay Macrae, Reef McInnes(likely gone), Caleb Poulter(gone) and Liam McMahon(gone).

Then they went on to finish second bottom in 2021. This draft is shaping up to be one of the strongest drafts ever, with quite possibly the greatest top 5 picks of all time. They would've had pick 2, two picks earlier than the Nick Daicos bid, and could've selected either Finn Callaghan or Mac Andrew.
Possibly, but I still believe North would have bid on Daicos to ensure we had to use our pick 2. It would have been crazy if any team let us use pick 2 on another player.

What number does Levi Ashcroft wear for Brisbane?
Or if we are referring to future pick ups, then Collingwood has a F/S coming through also.
I list Levi Ashcroft because many draft watchers consider him to be the best from an imminent strong draft, and it's inevitable he ends up at Brisbane.

McGuane is more than a year down the line. From what I understand he's currently rated as a first rounder, not a standout megatalent in the vein of Ashcroft or Nick Daicos.

Possibly, but I still believe North would have bid on Daicos to ensure we had to use our pick 2. It would have been crazy if any team let us use pick 2 on another player.
Doesn't make sense to me. What was stopping them from using pick 1 for a Daicos bid without Collingwood having pick 2? Daicos wasn't even the first player to get a father/son bid that draft, Sam Darcy was.
At the time, Jason Horne was considered to be some guaranteed superstar and the next Dustin Martin. Highly doubtful North Melbourne were going to use that pick on anything else when they were keen to sell hope to their supporters with a generational #1 pick. It was controversial enough last year when Adelaide deprived Thilthorpe of his #1 pick money bonus.

Then we would have quickly taken a prearranged deal probably something like

Pick 2 2021 for North's future 1st (pick 1 2022). We could have had Sheezel.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Collingwood: Where to from here?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back