Opinion Commentary & Media III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Listen to Rhyce Shaw on RSN - September 26, by #NMFC on #SoundCloud

Good interview. While he plays the blokey-bloke a bit, when he gets on a roll Rhyce comes across a self-aware strategic thinker.

Impressed at his "whole club" approach in learning about the club's history and ethos. In fairness Brad eventually said a lot of right things in this area (after some initial hiccups) so deeds will count for far more than words in years to come.

Exciting while I think of it that we are finally starting out again with a blank canvas. Future unknown and it's easier not to be completely demoralised by watching on as another finals series plays out when at least there's hope on the table. For probably the first time in 4 years.

Some other things that caught the ear as good indicators:
  • Admits they set out to fortify the defensive foundation of the club right from the start of his reign, was concerned our games had become a bit "ping pong". Well **** me Rhyce, so were a lot of us (the fans).

• At first I was a bit offended by his comment about North "only" having 4 flags. Then I realised the potentially huge silver lining to the thought process. He values flags as a be-all/end-al. You'd therefore guess he sees a successful era at North Melbourne as one that sees us winning flags. Might seems obvious but we've seen over the last decade not everyone might share that ambition..

• Really wanted the job and always backs himself. Love that he's never minced his words or downplayed it. Never said some cliched "just what's best for the club". He wanted the role and quietly set about doing what it took to get it. That's the sort of drive we want in the main role.

It might all be fool's gold but I found this very encouraging.

Good interview. While he plays the blokey-bloke a bit, when he gets on a roll Rhyce comes across a self-aware strategic thinker.

Impressed at his "whole club" approach in learning about the club's history and ethos. In fairness Brad eventually said a lot of right things in this area (after some initial hiccups) so deeds will count for far more than words in years to come.

Exciting while I think of it that we are finally starting out again with a blank canvas. Future unknown and it's easier not to be completely demoralised by watching on as another finals series plays out when at least there's hope on the table. For probably the first time in 4 years.

• Admits they set out to fortify the defensive foundation of the club right from the start of his reign, was concerned our games had become a bit "ping pong". Well **** me Rhyce, so were a lot of us (the fans).

• At first I was a bit offended by his comment about North "only" having 4 flags. Then I realised the potentially huge silver lining to the thought process. He values flags as a be-all/end-al. You'd therefore guess he sees a successful era at North Melbourne as one that sees us winning flags. Might seems obvious but we've seen over the last 10 decade not everyone might share that ambition..

• Really wanted the job and always backs himself. Love that he's never minced his words or downplayed it. Never said some cliched "just what's best for the club". He wanted the role and quietly set about doing what it took to get it. That's the sort of drive we want in the main role.

I got the impression flags mean alot to Rhyce cos he nearly missed out on getting one. He values them.

The Scott brothers seem to have been gifted them - 3 in a row then Chris in 2011.

I got the impression flags mean alot to Rhyce cos he nearly missed out on getting one. He values them.

The Scott brothers seem to have been gifted them - 3 in a row then Chris in 2011.

It's interesting that by and large no one from the Matthews / Brisbane group has gone on to achieve anything of note as a coach in their own right.

The nearest was Chris as you mention who managed to get a 2x premiership group back on the tracks for a year. It was a very good performance as the group could've crashed right out after 2010 too but largely an isolated result.

This would support the notion that the Brisbane Lions flags were more the result of merger acquisitions (Chris Johnson anyone?), AFL cash (Alistair Lynch anyone?) early and priority picks (Leppa and Lappin anyone?) zoned recruiting (Voss and Aker anyone?) and an incredibly lucky father-son windfall from Fitzroy when the bar was set at a paltry 50 game requirement (Jonathan Brown anyone?).

Once the benefits dried up post 2004 neither Matthews nor any of disciples who took over after that were able to return to anywhere near those glories.

It's interesting that by and large no one from the Matthews / Brisbane group has gone on to achieve anything of note as a coach in their own right.

The nearest was Chris as you mention who managed to get a 2x premiership group back on the tracks for a year. It was a very good performance as the group could've crashed right out after 2010 too but largely an isolated result.

This would support the notion that the Brisbane Lions flags were more the result of merger acquisitions (Chris Johnson anyone?), AFL cash (Alistair Lynch anyone?) early and priority picks (Leppa and Lappin anyone?) zoned recruiting (Voss and Aker anyone?) and an incredibly lucky father-son windfall from Fitzroy when the bar was set at a paltry 50 game requirement (Jonathan Brown anyone?).

Once the benefits dried up post 2004 neither Matthews nor any of disciples who took over after that were able to return to anywhere near those glories.

He was a premiership coach previously. First one in decades at Collingwood. So he can't be completely clueless. And he played under jeans who was no slouch in the coaching department. But what you say must have something to do with it.

But i also think its down to how he coached (in a one trick pony sort of way.)

I've always seen the 01-03 Lions as a defensive side primarily.

North and * were very good attacking sides with skilled players and forward weapons. Pagan's coaching (kick it to Carey/Pagan's Paddock) opened the game up to effective attacking footy and the creative use of space to enable it. OT - The Krakouers also played a role in this I reckon. I reckon Jimmy and Phil had an influence on Pagan. How could they not with him coaching "their" juniors and them changing the game in front of everyone's eyes.

I associate defensive flooding with the Lions (rightly or wrongly cos it was a while ago now) and think that they did it in response to that creative use of space. Ie Matthews thought "how can I nullify this" and in his own way changed the game. Cos now zoning and structures have stopped the sort of open footy we knew from Pagan's back in the day. All that's really left is open possession based outside footy and contested footy and fast forward movement then locking it in. Or variations on those 2 themes. (Something else will probably come along soon enough I spose.)

Basically Matthews changed the game (as a direct counter to the way Pagan did) and as a result was ahead of the game long enough to win three flags in a row. So he looks better than he was (kind of 3 flags in a row is 3 flags in a row.) It explains why Brad is (was) so structure and process driven imo too.

Like everything its a combination of stuff. I don't think Matthews was particularly great tho. More reasonably good and lucky or very insightful but only with one (significant) insight.

• At first I was a bit offended by his comment about North "only" having 4 flags. Then I realised the potentially huge silver lining to the thought process. He values flags as a be-all/end-al. You'd therefore guess he sees a successful era at North Melbourne as one that sees us winning flags. Might seems obvious but we've seen over the last decade not everyone might share that ambition..

He’s almost everything we’ve ever wanted in a coach

There's not much romance left in the modern business of footy but this is an awesome story.

At first I was a bit offended by his comment about North "only" having 4 flags. Then I realised the potentially huge silver lining to the thought process. He values flags as a be-all/end-al. You'd therefore guess he sees a successful era at North Melbourne as one that sees us winning flags. Might seems obvious but we've seen over the last decade not everyone might share that ambition..

I think to have won 4 flags, after all the club had to go through to get into the league and then stay in it, is ****ing tremendous and i'm incredibly proud of it. not to mention we've got the only gold premiership and that can never be taken away.

I think to have won 4 flags, after all the club had to go through to get into the league and then stay in it, is ******* tremendous and i'm incredibly proud of it. not to mention we've got the only gold premiership and that can never be taken away.

Yeah but... North deserves more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's not much romance left in the modern business of footy but this is an awesome story.
How’s old mate Bill James back in 1920. His one and only senior game was a premiership. Was for the Tigers too. Who knows, 99 years later Pickett might do the same.

Bevo dropped a few remarks on Front Bar about MMA tactics by GWS. That loss hurt.

They still rated us the toughest physical side they played in 2019, and we gave Richmond an absolute belting.

Some horrific stats there
Nothing that hasn't been documented elsewhere though and a few of us have been banging on about for quite a while now.

Bard thought it was an easy fix and then in the end blamed new rules/ignored the whole issue.

It's now up to Shawry to make the changes required.

The first change is that the whole 'inside/outside' mindset has to change.

All mids need to be able to do both in the modern era - if they can't then you end up with imbalances like we have (as is Melbourne and Adelaide to a lesser degree who also over rely on 'inside' mids.)

Unless we fix our midfield mess we can forgot about making any progress next year.

I know this is about head coaches but Justin Leppitsch, as an assistant, was apparently a huge part of Richmond's 2017 flag. He could be a double flag winning assistant coach in 27 hours time.

Nothing that hasn't been documented elsewhere though and a few of us have been banging on about for quite a while now.

Bard thought it was an easy fix and then in the end blamed new rules/ignored the whole issue.

It's now up to Shawry to make the changes required.

The first change is that the whole 'inside/outside' mindset has to change.

All mids need to be able to do both in the modern era - if they can't then you end up with imbalances like we have (as is Melbourne and Adelaide to a lesser degree who also over rely on 'inside' mids.)

Unless we fix our midfield mess we can forgot about making any progress next year.

5 years?

Who on here explicitly stated that it had been dreadful for that long?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back