Opinion Commentary & Media IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

WA Footy 101: The making of Fremantle Dockers and North Melbourne champion Peter Bell
John Townsend
The West Australian
Saturday, 11 April 2020

It didn’t appear to be a mistake at the time.
And Gerard Neesham is adamant that not only was it not a mistake, it was the making of Peter Bell.
Bell was the first player signed by AFL newcomers Fremantle and an 19-year-old member of the inaugural team in 1995.

But he would play only two games that season before the Fremantle coach decided that Bell was too slow and too short for a game plan based on pace, skill and the innovative ball-control measures that had helped him steer Claremont to four premierships in the previous eight years.
“If you were talking about horses, I would put Belly in the class of an immature two-year-old who hadn’t shown any form at that point,” Neesham said.
“As Phar Lap’s trainer said, there is no point throwing good money after bad.
“I hold him in the highest regard as a person and a player but at that time, as we were going into our second year, we needed players who could have an immediate impact.

“We were chasing players with real pace who could cover the ground so we could put on defensive pressure. Peter didn’t fit that requirement at the time and so we let him go.
“It is a credit to him that he overcame that disappointment, took his opportunity and developed into an outstanding player who had such a significant impact when he returned to the club years later.”
The story of Peter Bell, the adopted Korean boy who would urge his 175cm frame through 338 senior matches for his original club South Fremantle, in two stints at Fremantle, as a key figure in North Melbourne’s golden period and for his State, is one of the most remarkable in football history.
Asked when he signed at Fremantle whether it was the biggest moment of his brief football career, Bell responded wryly: “It is probably the biggest moment of my life.”
It had been an eventful life to that point and would have numerous more memorable chapters. Bell was born in Korea but adopted by Australian missionaries Jo and Kevin Bell who returned to Kojonup where their football-obsessed son would flourish and eventually rise to a starring role on the biggest sporting stage in the country.
Bell’s achievements didn’t come easily but driven by his remorseless desire to stride that stage, they came in number.
Drafted at 18. Discarded at 19. Premiership player at 20. Fairest and best winner. Club captain. Hall of fame member at State and national level. And now an insightful and influential administrator shaping Fremantle’s future.

Peter Bell was a premiership player at just 20 years old.
Peter Bell was a premiership player at just 20 years old.Credit: Iain Gillespie/WA News

“I have to pinch myself sometimes that a child adopted out of Korea made his living playing the indigenous Australian game,” Bell reflected when he was inducted to the WA Football Hall of Fame in 2013.
A strategic thinker from his earliest days in the game, Bell did not nominate for the 1993 draft and opted to play a full season for South Fremantle in the hope of being an inaugural Docker. That dream eventuated but Bell’s Fremantle days were numbered as his ambition clashed with the plans of a pragmatic coach.
Enter Denis Pagan, the North Melbourne coach who was alerted to Bell’s fate by South Fremantle stalwart Bob Maumill and soon convinced the youngster to make his way to Melbourne for a trial.
Paranoid about his prize being identified and tempted to go elsewhere, Pagan ordered Bell to introduce himself to curious observers as his “cousin Ricky from Wangaratta” until he could get him on to the North Melbourne books.
Then followed an exceptional period for North and Bell whose running power was matched by his ability to find the ball.
“It was the right place at the right time for him,” Neesham said. “He was well suited to Pagan’s strict rules and a system where they basically kicked it to Wayne Carey and he either marked it or the little blokes got to the drop of the ball.
“Belly was a good acquisition for North Melbourne and given what he learnt there, and how he matured as a player and person and leader, he was a great acquisition for Fremantle when he came back.”
Bell won two flags at North, lost another grand final and missed only two matches in five seasons.
Yet Fremantle remained an itch that needed scratching and Bell returned to WA in 2001, a season when the club won only two matches. But it wasn’t long until the Dockers played their first finals campaign, the start of a highly competitive period.
Bell captained the club for five seasons, won two Doig medals to go with his Barker Medal at the Kangaroos and fitted comfortably into the role as the elder statesman of WA football.
He spent a farewell season at South Fremantle in 2009, playing for nothing as a tribute to the club that gave him a start, but repaid the Bulldogs by using his experience to guide younger teammates to the premiership.
Bell’s career had come full circle, though it was a journey that Neesham acknowledged would have followed another path had he made a different decision in 1995.
“There is no way I would have tipped him out if I had known how good he would become,” Neesham said.

Mrs. H. quite chuffed when l told her the ding-dong Belly story before her first game.

L
Is there an article on it?
This is the original show I think.

There was a link somewhere, maybe in this thread or one of its predecessors but I can't find it at the moment.

Not sure if it's been posted here on BF but Corey has started his own podcasts on his Insta and FB page. Last week was Jason McCartney and this week was Arch. Bloody good listening during these dark times.

Had a ball listening to that! We had some good characters during that period. Hopefully Heath does a few more of these with ex north players.
It’s always good to do it with players that weren’t necessarily the best.

Found the part about Jesse Smith interesting! Seems like he was a different character.

Ben Warren and Aaron Edwards were two that would probably have some funny tales too tell these days!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LISTEN: Can the Roos justify re-signing veterans to multi-year deals?
Will North Melbourne back up its come-from-behind round one win? Marc McGowan looks at what needs to happen
By Marc McGowan - 9 hrs ago
01NMSt20MW2340.JPG

Jy Simpkin and Ben Cunnington are pivotal to the Roos' fortunes. Picture: AFL Photos
WHILE we wait for play to resume, and with the little bit of knowledge we've gleaned from round one, we're taking this opportunity to put the microscope on every club.
THE PRESSURE GAUGE Which coach is under the most heat?
This is North Melbourne's Shutdown Report Card. >> LISTEN IN THE PLAYER BELOW

The biggest lesson from round one was…
A lot will have to go right for the Roos to make finals. They rallied from 31 points down in the third quarter – showing trademark resilience – to register an important victory over a Saints side that transformed in the off-season. North will have to improve on that effort. Notable was Ben Cunnington's late, match-winning switch into attack, where he kicked two goals, including the go-ahead score.

DkYRsyZI.jpg

05:58MINS
Published on Mar 22, 2020, 4:01pm
Highlights: North Melbourne v St Kilda
The Kangaroos and Saints clash in round one
What's their weapon in 2020?
Physicality. The Roos became the Bruisers under new coach Rhyce Shaw in the second half of last year, behind the likes of Ben Cunnington, Jed Anderson, Jack Ziebell, Cam Zurhaar and Jy Simpkin. Second-year forward-midfielder Tarryn Thomas boasts plenty of aggression, too, so expect more of the same from North Melbourne once the season resumes.

qUfmlDnE.jpg

00:41MINS
Published on Feb 21, 2020, 8:03pm
Marsh: A little bit of magic from rising Roos star
Tarryn Thomas shows his slick skills to kick an early goal for the Roos
What could be their downfall?
Thinking they were closer to contention than they are. This might be a tad harsh, because there is some promising youth coming through. However, re-upping Todd Goldstein (31) and Shaun Higgins (32) means the older core – including Robbie Tarrant (30), Jack Ziebell (29) and Ben Cunnington (28) – will likely be at the forefront of anything North does in the foreseeable future. Can the kids develop quickly enough to support them, along with Jasper Pittard (29), Majak Daw (29), Aaron Hall (29), Ben Brown (27) and Jared Polec (27)?

lIhTGEYv.jpg

01:06MINS
Published on Aug 17, 2019, 8:15pm
Goldstein does it all himself
Todd Goldstein has decided to do it alone as he grabbed the ball straight out of the ruck before snapping it through
Who missed out on round one and what does it mean for them?
The Roos erred on the side of caution with Majak Daw's illness and he was a late withdrawal – but he's a best-22 player. However, it was Tom Murphy who replaced Daw rather than Sam Durdin, who wasn't even an emergency after playing nine of the last 10 games in 2019. The other emergencies were Taylor Garner, Aiden Bonar and fast-improving big man Tristan Xerri. Both Mason Wood and Dom Tyson have work to do to return to calculations.

yxGnPEil.jpg

01:50MINS
Published on Jul 29, 2018, 4:01pm
The Great Wall of Majak
Majak Daw was formidable in defence and played a key role in his side's upset win
Which players could benefit from the break between games?
Jack Ziebell (knee) looked set for a significant stint out after hurting himself in round one, while Paul Ahern (hamstring) and Josh Walker (concussion) also went down. All should be fine once play continues. Luke Davies-Uniacke (groin), Ed Vickers-Willis (knee) and Kayne Turner (foot) could also be in the selection frame by the time round two rolls around.

ZxnbXlTc.jpg

00:32MINS
Published on Mar 22, 2020, 2:48pm
Another big blow as skipper limps off
North Melbourne's Jack Ziebell is the latest casualty to leave the field after absorbing weight on his knee in a frantic scramble
Who looked set for a breakout season?
It probably happened last year for Jy Simpkin but you could argue it was more of a sneak peek than a full breakout. Simpkin tired towards the end of the 2019 season but was impressive in the Roos' season opener against St Kilda and seems ready to be a consistently strong performer. Curtis Taylor and Tarryn Thomas are others to watch.

MVVWkzGQ.jpg

00:34MINS
Published on May 5, 2019, 3:07pm
Returning Roo hops past helpless Blues
Jy Simpkin weaves through a host of Carlton players before finishing with aplomb
The marketplace
Out-of-contract duo Ben Brown and Tristan Xerri were both engaged in negotiations for new deals before the AFL put a freeze on contracts in late March. More intriguing is what happens with players such as Sam Durdin, Mason Wood, Taylor Garner, Ben Jacobs – who continues to be sidelined with concussion symptoms – and Ed Vickers-Willis, who've all been in and out of the senior side for various reasons.

not sure which in thread to post but:

13. WAYNE CAREY: From an affair with a teammate’s wife to drug-fuelled rampages and alleged domestic violence, it’s little wonder he has lost a lot of admirers.

Let me know if you want me to post full article

This article is from the April 13 issue of The Herald Sun Digital Edition. To subscribe, visit https://www.heraldsun.com.au/.
GLENN McFARLANE

NORTH Melbourne ruckman Todd Goldstein is confident he can play on beyond his current deal to the end of the 2022 season , saying his desire to play in a premiership drives him.

Goldstein knocked back a lucrative offer to join Geelong last summer, staying loyal to the Kangaroos in the belief the club was building towards something special.

He is confident the Roos are well placed to attack the finals this season — when the AFL resumes from its coronavirus shutdown — with coach Rhyce Shaw overseeing a strong blend of experienced men and talented young players.

“I am probably feeling as fit as I ever have,” Goldstein, 31, told the Herald Sun.

“I realise I am going towards the final phase of my career, but I’ll keep playing for as long as my body and my mind allows me to play, as you are a long time retired. I’m confident I have got a fair bit of footy left in me, and hopefully we can have some success in that time.”

Goldstein was flattered by the interest from the Cats but maintained he always planned to stay with North.

“It was always in the back of my mind to stay,” he said.

“You see very few players leave North Melbourne.

“Josh Gibson was one of the few, but there haven’t been many, other than those not been getting a game.

“There is just something about this place.

“Rhyce, Brady (Rawlings) and Jade (Rawlings) have tried to tap into that philosophy and the direction we are going in really excites me.”

Along with Collingwood star Brodie Grundy and Melbourne captain Max Gawn, Goldstein has been responsible for a ruck renaissance across the competition in recent years. He believes that partly came from the banning of the third man up in ruck contests from 2017.

“It is one of those trends in footy that comes and goes, but it is good to see,” Goldstein said of the emphasis on ruckmen.

“The third-man-up change has revamped it a bit.

“That has put a premium on having someone who can give the mids first use.

“There has been a development of the ruck position in the way where all of us are now covering the ground.

“It is not acceptable now to be a ruckman and to have only a handful of possessions.

“We all realise we have to help out more at ground level.”

Goldstein and wife Felicity welcomed a daughter, Hayley Jade, into the world on April 2.

glenn.mcfarlane@news.com.au

Copyright © 2020 News Pty Limited

LISTEN: Can the Roos justify re-signing veterans to multi-year deals?
Will North Melbourne back up its come-from-behind round one win? Marc McGowan looks at what needs to happen
By Marc McGowan - 9 hrs ago
01NMSt20MW2340.JPG

Jy Simpkin and Ben Cunnington are pivotal to the Roos' fortunes. Picture: AFL Photos
WHILE we wait for play to resume, and with the little bit of knowledge we've gleaned from round one, we're taking this opportunity to put the microscope on every club.
THE PRESSURE GAUGE Which coach is under the most heat?
This is North Melbourne's Shutdown Report Card. >> LISTEN IN THE PLAYER BELOW

The biggest lesson from round one was…
A lot will have to go right for the Roos to make finals. They rallied from 31 points down in the third quarter – showing trademark resilience – to register an important victory over a Saints side that transformed in the off-season. North will have to improve on that effort. Notable was Ben Cunnington's late, match-winning switch into attack, where he kicked two goals, including the go-ahead score.

DkYRsyZI.jpg

05:58MINS
Published on Mar 22, 2020, 4:01pm
Highlights: North Melbourne v St Kilda
The Kangaroos and Saints clash in round one
What's their weapon in 2020?
Physicality. The Roos became the Bruisers under new coach Rhyce Shaw in the second half of last year, behind the likes of Ben Cunnington, Jed Anderson, Jack Ziebell, Cam Zurhaar and Jy Simpkin. Second-year forward-midfielder Tarryn Thomas boasts plenty of aggression, too, so expect more of the same from North Melbourne once the season resumes.

qUfmlDnE.jpg

00:41MINS
Published on Feb 21, 2020, 8:03pm
Marsh: A little bit of magic from rising Roos star
Tarryn Thomas shows his slick skills to kick an early goal for the Roos
What could be their downfall?
Thinking they were closer to contention than they are. This might be a tad harsh, because there is some promising youth coming through. However, re-upping Todd Goldstein (31) and Shaun Higgins (32) means the older core – including Robbie Tarrant (30), Jack Ziebell (29) and Ben Cunnington (28) – will likely be at the forefront of anything North does in the foreseeable future. Can the kids develop quickly enough to support them, along with Jasper Pittard (29), Majak Daw (29), Aaron Hall (29), Ben Brown (27) and Jared Polec (27)?

lIhTGEYv.jpg

01:06MINS
Published on Aug 17, 2019, 8:15pm
Goldstein does it all himself
Todd Goldstein has decided to do it alone as he grabbed the ball straight out of the ruck before snapping it through
Who missed out on round one and what does it mean for them?
The Roos erred on the side of caution with Majak Daw's illness and he was a late withdrawal – but he's a best-22 player. However, it was Tom Murphy who replaced Daw rather than Sam Durdin, who wasn't even an emergency after playing nine of the last 10 games in 2019. The other emergencies were Taylor Garner, Aiden Bonar and fast-improving big man Tristan Xerri. Both Mason Wood and Dom Tyson have work to do to return to calculations.

yxGnPEil.jpg

01:50MINS
Published on Jul 29, 2018, 4:01pm
The Great Wall of Majak
Majak Daw was formidable in defence and played a key role in his side's upset win
Which players could benefit from the break between games?
Jack Ziebell (knee) looked set for a significant stint out after hurting himself in round one, while Paul Ahern (hamstring) and Josh Walker (concussion) also went down. All should be fine once play continues. Luke Davies-Uniacke (groin), Ed Vickers-Willis (knee) and Kayne Turner (foot) could also be in the selection frame by the time round two rolls around.

ZxnbXlTc.jpg

00:32MINS
Published on Mar 22, 2020, 2:48pm
Another big blow as skipper limps off
North Melbourne's Jack Ziebell is the latest casualty to leave the field after absorbing weight on his knee in a frantic scramble
Who looked set for a breakout season?
It probably happened last year for Jy Simpkin but you could argue it was more of a sneak peek than a full breakout. Simpkin tired towards the end of the 2019 season but was impressive in the Roos' season opener against St Kilda and seems ready to be a consistently strong performer. Curtis Taylor and Tarryn Thomas are others to watch.

MVVWkzGQ.jpg

00:34MINS
Published on May 5, 2019, 3:07pm
Returning Roo hops past helpless Blues
Jy Simpkin weaves through a host of Carlton players before finishing with aplomb
The marketplace
Out-of-contract duo Ben Brown and Tristan Xerri were both engaged in negotiations for new deals before the AFL put a freeze on contracts in late March. More intriguing is what happens with players such as Sam Durdin, Mason Wood, Taylor Garner, Ben Jacobs – who continues to be sidelined with concussion symptoms – and Ed Vickers-Willis, who've all been in and out of the senior side for various reasons.
Jy Sympkin's game was the biggest take away from round one for mine. Not missed in the article either.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back